Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

BH T-28 Assembly

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

BH T-28 Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BH T-28 Assembly

That's awesome Joe!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
eagle09tbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hdwideglide03

Hey everyone. Thought I would post that I finished 3rd in ''Best in Show'' in the HAWKS Warbird Fly-In. I was really surprised. The P-38 finished 1st and the B-17 2nd.

Joe
Congratulations ! That's quite an accomplishment and you should be proud.

Thanks for sharing the info and pic.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Warbird Joe

Holy cow guys. Better treat your planes good. They are up to $219 now. [:@]

Joe
Old 10-08-2010, 09:06 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hobby People's prices are over the place! They're like gasoline prices! Up one week, down the next! But, I would imagine that one shipment from the far east, is not always the same price, so as with anything prices increase! However, watch their web site and you can catch some really good deals from time to time!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 PM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thinking of getting this one and bashing it a little...so wanted to ask a few questions please:
- Are the hinges already glued in place? asking in order to see how easy it would be to remove some of the covering and re-cover with a different color (rudder and vertical tail for example)
- Also, is the whole plane covered in white with the other colors stuck on to it, or is it a printed covering? (again - trying to undestand if I remove some color areas, is it a simple peeling job or will I have uncovered areas now.)

Thanks! this is one great informative thread with some really nice work!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: EF

Thinking of getting this one and bashing it a little...so wanted to ask a few questions please:
- Are the hinges already glued in place? asking in order to see how easy it would be to remove some of the covering and re-cover with a different color (rudder and vertical tail for example)
- Also, is the whole plane covered in white with the other colors stuck on to it, or is it a printed covering? (again - trying to undestand if I remove some color areas, is it a simple peeling job or will I have uncovered areas now.)

Thanks! this is one great informative thread with some really nice work!
Hello EF,

The hinges are not glued in and the oracovering is not printed. It is nice covering and has been through a 100 flights now and it still on the same as when I put it together. The fuse is done in white and the red and black is over it. The rudder and vertical tail can be stripped easily.

I sure hope that you if you bash this plane you post some pics. You will absolutely love it. I am considering buying another one so that I can bash it. This plane is a must have, IMHO.

Joe
Old 10-10-2010, 05:20 PM
mesaflyer

I thought I would tag onto this long thread.
First off, I did not read the whole thread, so if somebody covered what I am about to post, I apologize for bringing it up again. My brother bought the BH T-28, Magnum 61, and RDS 8000. He can't seem to make up his mind on what he wants to do, so after the plane sat partially finished in my shop for several months, I decided to finish and fly it. This plane balanced way nose heavy, so I moved the throttle servo switch battery and radio as far back as I could. Balanced just slightly nose heavy. Broke in the engine yesterday, and maiden was this morning. Had to give about 6-7 clicks of down (in fact, it lifted off the asphalt in about 2 seconds), but otherwise flew just fine. Flew 3 times and then came home. This is when I noticed the instrument panel was torn, it's just a decal. The rubber bands that held the fuel tank in place had a little fuel on them. So I pulled the tank, and found that I just had not screwed down the tank plug good enough. Got lucky that it was just a very small leak.
OK, so here is where I started to look around. If you look at the picture on post 19, third picture from the left, and also on post 222, you will see a small piece of ply that goes from the tank mount to what would be the bottom of the instrument panel. This piece of ply is cut so that there is a square opening in the center. Mine was busted completely in half, and half was gone. I can't swear that it was that way from the beginning, but I don't believe that it was. I think it must have happened sometime today. Anyway, not a big deal, just made a new piece an started to glue in place. That's when I noticed that the broken piece had this square opening, the next former forward has a notch, and the front former/firewall has a square opening. It looks to me that there is a square or rectangular balsa stick missing. So when I looked at the pictures on here, the planes are the same as mine. It's probably not a big deal. I'm sure all these guys are flying around with the same thing.

Just thought I would point this out.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

(in fact, it lifted off the asphalt in about 2 seconds), but otherwise flew just fine.
Hello Mesaflyer,
Welcome to the BH T-28 gang. Well you have had the same problem that just about all of us had or if not all of us. The plane has a nose up attitude and takes off quickly. I know there is a lot to read but it would be good to take a look over it. We fixed the early take off by putting 3 inch wheels on the rear landing gear and 1 3/4 on the front. We all have also changed out the supplied front landing gear because it is so weak.

And thanks for the info. I will have to take a look at my plane now.

Joe
Old 10-11-2010, 07:40 PM
mesaflyer

(in fact, it lifted off the asphalt in about 2 seconds), but otherwise flew just fine.
Hello Mesaflyer,
Welcome to the BH T-28 gang. Well you have had the same problem that just about all of us had or if not all of us. The plane has a nose up attitude and takes off quickly. I know there is a lot to read but it would be good to take a look over it. We fixed the early take off by putting 3 inch wheels on the rear landing gear and 1 3/4 on the front. We all have also changed out the supplied front landing gear because it is so weak.

Joe
Thanks for the welcome Joe. I'm sure that "missing stick" really isn't missing. If I had to guess, I would say somebody thought it needed it, and then it didn't. Or, they use the same formers for a different model plane. Who knows.

I did read some of this thread. There is some good info in hear on this model.

I flew the plane again today after making a few adjustments to the linkages, just minor stuff to re-center the controls. Did a few knife edges, really nice barrel rolls, etc. The plane does look real nice in the air. I'm really surprised by the Magnum 61 engine. Did the break-in per the manual, and just runs great. Plenty of power for this plane. We have a nice asphalt runway, so for now, I'll just stick with the stock gear. Take-offs are a lot better, now that I have it trimmed out. Nice, slow lift off the runway. Next weekend, I going to try a few landings with flaps. I tried the flaps today, but it balloons up so much, I didn't want to try landings. Still need to program in a little down elevator with the flaps. Next time. But I did do a couple slow fly-bys with half flaps. Looks pretty cool. But if I end up buying this plane from my brother, I'm gonna have to put some retracts in it.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Warbird Joe

Hello Mesaflyer,

Joe
Thanks for the welcome Joe. I'm sure that ''missing stick'' really isn't missing. If I had to guess, I would say somebody thought it needed it, and then it didn't. Or, they use the same formers for a different model plane. Who knows.

I did read some of this thread. There is some good info in hear on this model.

I flew the plane again today after making a few adjustments to the linkages, just minor stuff to re-center the controls. Did a few knife edges, really nice barrel rolls, etc. The plane does look real nice in the air. I'm really surprised by the Magnum 61 engine. Did the break-in per the manual, and just runs great. Plenty of power for this plane. We have a nice asphalt runway, so for now, I'll just stick with the stock gear. Take-offs are a lot better, now that I have it trimmed out. Nice, slow lift off the runway. Next weekend, I going to try a few landings with flaps. I tried the flaps today, but it balloons up so much, I didn't want to try landings. Still need to program in a little down elevator with the flaps. Next time. But I did do a couple slow fly-bys with half flaps. Looks pretty cool. But if I end up buying this plane from my brother, I'm gonna have to put some retracts in it.
Mesaflyer,

I have a set of retracts that I am considering putting in myself. The flaps do look great and really sets the plane down soft.

Joe
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be very cool to have retracts on this plane...good luck...the wing is so thin. :P

Had to stop flying my T-28 because I was flying it so much that the Saito 82 sounds like a tractor in the air now! There is a little play side to side in the prop shaft so I think I wore out the bearings. Got some new ones in the mail and want to get them installed so I can get the Trojan up again.

You will love flaps. I have mine on the dial so I can dial in as much or as little as I want. FULL flaps on landing is really fun. I can dive the plane down at a steep angle without gaining speed, aim for my spot on the runway, just ease up on the down elevator over my spot, and then gently touch down on all three LG. All the while, some throttle is needed to drive the plane to the runway and not get all floaty. Very FUN! Jon
Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
maukaonyx

Hi! I just found some pics on a CD a friend at the club gave to me, some of the T-28 making a low pass with flaps. Just want to share...this captures the essence (FOR ME) of landing or flying low with the flaps deployed. It just gets me...excited, haha. Hope you don't mind the big pics from my friend, and the number of them! He has a rapid fire camera, and I only picked out every other pic in the sequence for you to get the feel, lol.

This last one is not centered, but I think the effect of the background out of focus helps make the plane look almost real.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Kostas1

Your pictures rock.......
Old 10-12-2010, 07:32 PM
mesaflyer

Nice pics!

I'll definitely have to give the flaps a try this weekend.

I also like those struts. Are those the Robart plastic ones that fit over the wires struts? If so, they really dress up the wire gear.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 PM
maukaonyx

Yes those are the Robart covers...they add a little more realism. I used to have LG doors on the plane, as were designed and discussed perhaps a year ago in this thread, but mine would not stay on without breaking the covering due to the vibration during ground handling. I've yet to figure a way to attach them to just the LG/Robart covers, so that they are not connected at all to the wing. I'll attach an old photo here just to show how cool they used to look while mounted, haha. Jon

Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Warbird Joe

Maukaonyx,

Thank for the pics. they look great. Here is a pic that they took at the Warbirds Over Louisville. It is a picture of a picture.

Joe
Old 10-16-2010, 09:22 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

...but mine would not stay on without breaking the covering due to the vibration during ground handling. I've yet to figure a way to attach them to just the LG/Robart covers, so that they are not connected at all to the wing. ...
Concerning the gear doors' attachment I may be able to suggest an idea though I have not yet proven it in flight (the model is not yet finished) however, it does involve two doors and NO attachment to the wing itself.

I have done this on my T-28 (I'm building it from a very old Pica 79" span wood kit).
I hope the pics will clarify my explanation as well.

I made two doors for each leg from thin ply, and glassed both sides.
I then attached each door to the strut covers, with two screws only.
The central screw is common to the top of the bottom door and bottom of the top door.
This way there is flexibility – a door can rotate relative to the wing surface, if the leg bends fore or aft.

Note also the top of the top door has the edge cut at angles – to allow very good clearance to the wing surface, when the leg bends backwards, and also if I need to bend it forwards in order to straighten it (e.g. after a "heavy arrival"…).

I'm sorry it's not the exact same model but it still is a T-28! and the principle may be the same? Just an idea.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27363.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1517576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95896.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1517577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17765.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1517578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61717.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1517579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67773.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1517580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90348.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1517581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj86470.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1517582  
Old 10-16-2010, 06:04 PM
mesaflyer

Well, got the flaps dialed in today. Made a couple nice slightly cross wind landings with full flaps. Looks and flies pretty nice.

Since the plane belongs to my brother, I'm gonna have to put it on the shelf for now. Don't want to get to crazy with it until I either buy it from him, or he decides to start flying again.

Sure is a nice looking and flying airplane.

We'll see how long I can let it sit there. I'll probably need to run the engine once in awhile, you know, just to keep it from gumming up.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 PM
maukaonyx

EF, thanks for the pics of your attachment method. I will take a look at mine to see if I can do it too. Jon
Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 PM
airdave5
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Mike, i just got my t-28 and have saito 82 to put in it and just wanted to know any problem with the eng.running inverted. airdave5
Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of my Saito's that have been inverted run just fine.....
Old 02-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Kostas1

I'm currently running x2 SAITO's FA-120S & FA-150S ....inverted

No problems .... they idle like a Swiss clock..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xjQlowDuIc[/youtube]
-
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTNK5kiaGQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]
Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 AM
maukaonyx

Hi guys, just had a blast flying my T-28 a couple days ago during a calm break between our constant rains. Got in 5 flights of relaxation and elation with this plane. I say it over and over, but it is just so satisfying to pop full flaps at low throttle on either the downwind or base legs, then drive this plane down at a steep descent angle, seeing the top of the plane all the way till a few feet off the deck and then idling back and settling in for touchdown. Taxi back with the full flaps, then raise them back up and kill the engine in front of the pits. Well, I really wanted to get the landing gear doors back on, and I liked how EF did it on another T-28. So last night, I got mine out from a shelf and figured I would keep it real simple. Basically I attached the doors to the plastic Robart struts with a piece of 3/16" ply per the pics. I epoxied that piece to the LG door and to the plastic strut. The zip tie is just to make sure I don't lose the LG door in the air. From a few feet away, I don't even notice it. The plane looks so much more aggressive with the LG doors on. I want to test it out...my grass field might tear those doors right off, but it won't be the first time! LOL. Pls excuse the dirt and grease on the tires and struts! Jon

Old 03-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Warbird Joe

maukaonyx, wanna make another set for me to buy? That looks great. I love this plane. I get so many compliments on this plane. This plane flies on a rail. I take a few planes to the field to fly and everytime I end up flying the heck out of the T-28.

I am still working on the flaps. I have it pretty much dialed in but balloon a little too much and start to roll to the right. I have adjusted and adjusted but still got a little bit more to go to straighten it out. It is OK though in less than 10 mph winds like it is but not going to mess with it in any higher wind. This plane really FLOATS with the flaps. You can dang near land it like a harrier jet. Black Horse really did a great job with this plane.

Joe
Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
balsabuster2003

I think the good behavior has to do with the actual airfoil surfaces on the elevator and vertical stabilizer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.