RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   BH T-28 Assembly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/7580738-bh-t-28-assembly.html)

JimO 06-04-2008 06:04 PM

BH T-28 Assembly

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of photos of the wings and how packaged. Also how I modified the servo mounting plates to minimize the opening for the servo arms.

More on the assembly later.

JimO

Mr. Mugen 06-04-2008 06:12 PM

RE: BH T-28 Assembly

So there are 4 servo's in the wing then? 2 ail/2 flaps?

JimO 06-04-2008 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

So there are 4 servo's in the wing then? 2 ail/2 flaps?

That is correct. That is why they tell you seven servos. Install is easy.

The hardware package is complete and of decent quality. I have decided to use all that is sent with the plane to make it a good review. I plan to do a full report once done, but here are a few more photos. The wing matched up perfectly and the aluminum tube did not need and filing to fit. 12 minute epoxy used to hold it together. BH include a white plastic masking tape to cover the seam. The control horns are unique, the aileron and flaps have holes pre drilled and using a hot pencil soldering iron I melted out the covering and inserted the black plugs and screws. I used blue thread lock to keep both nuts secured. I did not use the pushrod keepers, Z bended the rod instead, lost a plane to a bad keeper.

More tomorrow.

Going together quickly

JimO

cruzomatic 06-04-2008 10:05 PM

Jimbo,

Nice thread. I'll be watching it daily. Thanks!!!

Whoaaaa, the second set of pics are way huge. [X(] Can you make them a bit smaller?

JimO 06-05-2008 04:50 AM

Don't know what happened. RCU sent an error message on the upload and then said OK photos uploaded.

Will redo.

JimO 06-05-2008 05:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hardware package, wing joining, servo horn and install.

More later today

yellerchamp 06-05-2008 06:58 AM

looks like accesories from a phoenix arf I bought from tower, I think they are made in vietnam.
Thanks for posting pictures.

Mr. Mugen 06-05-2008 07:15 AM

I was going to say the same along with saegull. They both have the same hardware supplier by the looks of it. Not too bad I guess.

Warbird Joe 06-05-2008 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: JimO

Here are a couple of photos of the wings and how packaged. Also how I modified the servo mounting plates to minimize the opening for the servo arms.

More on the assembly later.

JimO

I like that simple modification there JimO on the servo mounting plates. It looks great. Thanks for the pics and information. Please keep them coming. My plane and engine should be here on Saturday according to Fed Ex.

JimO 06-05-2008 11:35 AM

Working on the landing gear. Jeers, The hole location for the gear in the wing support block is not shown. If you cut the entire length of the grove it would leave a "Scar" before and after the gear is installed. I started in about the middle and moved very slowly toward the center of the wing till I found the hole. Inserted the gear and marked the other end. again use a hot pencil iron to remove the covering. Will upload photos later, got to charge the camera battery.

IMHO you can't go wrong with this ARF, want a warbird for the weekend. Get it on Monday, fly it on Friday.

JimO

Warbird Joe 06-05-2008 12:38 PM

Working on the landing gear. Jeers, The hole location for the gear in the wing support block is not shown. If you cut the entire length of the grove it would leave a "Scar" before and after the gear is installed. I started in about the middle and moved very slowly toward the center of the wing till I found the hole. Inserted the gear and marked the other end. again use a hot pencil iron to remove the covering. Will upload photos later, got to charge the camera battery.

IMHO you can't go wrong with this ARF, want a warbird for the weekend. Get it on Monday, fly it on Friday.

JimO

Can't wait to see what you are talking about. I am curious about the fuel line set up. I have never had a plane with a cowl on it so i am nervous about what to use and how to set it up.

JimO 06-05-2008 01:28 PM

The fuel tank is a three line system. One to fill, most likely a fuel dot, one to carb and one to the exhaust for pressure. I am not sure if I am going to use the fuel dot, third line. I like the Dubro fuel filler, it makes for a nice install and I don't have to concern myself with fuel coming out the carb while filling the tank. Simple enough to close of the third line and not have to worry.

Don't fret it is not rocket science.

Besides you have all of RCU to assist you.

Jim

Warbird Joe 06-05-2008 02:19 PM

The fuel tank is a three line system. One to fill, most likely a fuel dot, one to carb and one to the exhaust for pressure. I am not sure if I am going to use the fuel dot, third line. I like the Dubro fuel filler, it makes for a nice install and I don't have to concern myself with fuel coming out the carb while filling the tank. Simple enough to close of the third line and not have to worry.

Don't fret it is not rocket science.

Besides you have all of RCU to assist you.

Jim

LOL..OK thanks for the input.

Flyboy76 06-05-2008 02:25 PM

saw this plane a while back, glad to see someone doing an assembly thread about it. Lots of pics please:D

thanks

geoff

bassmanh 06-05-2008 03:19 PM

jim,

thanks for starting this thread.

i am also interested in this plane so will be watching as well :D . and i agree pics are a great thing :eek: .

also what engine will you be using in this bird ? if i decide to get it i will use an evolution .61 in it (cant afford 4 stroke)

bassman

JimO 06-05-2008 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: bassmanh

jim,

thanks for starting this thread.

i am also interested in this plane so will be watching as well :D . and i agree pics are a great thing :eek: .

also what engine will you be using in this bird ? if i decide to get it i will use an evolution .61 in it (cant afford 4 stroke)

bassman
Thanks for the encouragement.

I am going to use a Saito 80 and a Graupner 12/8 3 blade prop.

JimO 06-05-2008 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the rest of the wing and landing gear install. About 3 hours to make up the wing, including the mods to the Servo plate.

In doing the landing gear install by shear luck I found that there are holes predrilled for the landing gear plastic hold downs.
There is no mention in the instructions regarding these holes. I have shown the approx location for those of you about to build.

JimO 06-05-2008 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now for the real heart of the build, the FUSE.

YOU are in for a treat !!!!!!!

Here are the first photos, Makes a grown man want to cry it is so beautiful.

JimO 06-05-2008 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Internal shots of the fuse. Nice construction.

JimO 06-05-2008 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have skipped over the engine install, next in the instruction book, as my Saito is on the test bench after installing a new Carb. Here are some photos of the Tail feathers build up.

Also note that I will be out of town tomorrow for a golf outing. Not playing scoring, www.egolfscore.com Will not be adding any more to this site till most likely Saturday. SORRY

As I have noted in the original thread I plan on doing a complete review for RCU once the T-28 is completed with Cheers and Jeers. There are additional notes about the build that I will add to this review.

For the most part it is straight forward and an easy ARF to assembly.

JimO

cruzomatic 06-05-2008 10:18 PM

Jimbo, what's the fuel tank capacity? Quality?

Warbird Joe 06-05-2008 10:41 PM

Man oh man JimO :( The cockpit is touching. :D The plane looks great so far. Dang it I can't wait until Saturday. COME ON FED EX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mr. Mugen 06-05-2008 11:23 PM

Did you guy's order from hobby people? If so sis you get any emails saying they got your order? I wonder if mine didnt go through. I have the printed page that says it was ordered but never got an email.

Kevin

JimO 06-06-2008 04:15 AM

ORIGINAL: cruzomatic

Jimbo, what's the fuel tank capacity? Quality?
Looks Like a 10 OZ. Looks OK but have not built up and pressure tested yet. Might switch out to a known brand.

Jim

Warbird Joe 06-06-2008 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

Did you guy's order from hobby people? If so sis you get any emails saying they got your order? I wonder if mine didnt go through. I have the printed page that says it was ordered but never got an email.

Kevin
yes i ordered from hobby people and got the email. also got one from fed ex. i would call them.