Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Alpha 40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Alpha 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 AM
jmorgan2942

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Alpha 40

I have been flying for a year now and I have built 5 different Hangar 9 ARF kits. I decided to buy an alpha 40 and put pontoons on it. I bought the plane and assembled it. I decided to take it to the flying field to get a few land flights on it before I install pontoons and attack the water. The first time I attempted a take-off the plane took a hard left about 10 feet off the ground and ended up hitting the ground. I repaired the plane and took off again with the same outcome. I repeated my actions one more time with the same outcome. I used new servos, I know what I am doing when I build these planes and I could not find anything wrong with any of my equipment. Now I have to buy a new muffler and carb. for my engine because of the last nose dive. Has anybody ever had this type of experience.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar 9 Alpha 40

A couple of things you might need to look at

1. Do one of the wings have a warp ?
2. Have you balanced the plane laterally? I.e. is one wing heavier than the other?
3. Do you have the same throw on both ailerons?
4. Are you using enough fresh #64 rubber bands? 10-12 is what I recommend
5. Is the aileron servo working?
6. Did you have enough airspeed when you took off? Some people like to yank the plane off and it stalls out.

This is not a flame or trying to belittle your skills, just questions that come to mind. I've flown my share of Alphas, and luckly have never had one go in, but I have seen other do what yours did. Usually, the cause of the crash was answered from one of the above questions (Namely, Question #6)

Good luck in your quest - I really like the Alpha to train students on and still recommend them.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 AM
jmorgan2942

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything you have mentioned was checked on this plane. I know this is not a flame, I appreciate all of the advise. I have taken my servos appart and examined all of them and I still cant find any flaws that would make me think, "there is my problem." It has really got me wondering why this has happened. I have had over a hundred successful flights and I have never been more confused with this outcome.

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:52 AM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound like the problem could be a tail heavy airplane. Not being there, makes it just a guess.