Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Modelfly Cardinal

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Modelfly Cardinal

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:32 AM
iwik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modelfly Cardinal

HI guys,
Those that have this model.How have you found the wings for strenght.The reason i ask this is that ive noticed one dealer that sells
this plane (throttlestore.com) recommends placing a 1 metre carbon tube in the wing to strengthen it.I havnt seen anyone doing this.
So would be very interested in any owners comments.
Thanks
Les
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Default RE: Modelfly Cardinal

I had one of these with an OS .61 in it and put over 300 flights on it before losing it due to a bad Rx battery. Great plane and tough as NAILS. Hard landings, no problem, cartwheels on a grass field, no problems. This is one tough airplane! I put the whole thing together with thin CA and didn't make any modifications at all. Get it! You'll love it!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61184.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1044272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37672.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1044273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70921.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1044274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69677.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1044275  
Old 10-02-2008, 05:14 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one for years and would get another one if I could get it for a decent price in the States.

If you will check out the wing joiner you will see that it is only about 8 " long and that doesn;t give much support to the center of the wing. When this was brought up to Modelfly they said it was fine as this plane was supposed to be a scale type airplane and not do aerobatics. I hate to admit it but in that respect they were right. But it was so good at them !!!

Well it's to bad that they didn't modify this situation because this plane is a super flier and can do a lot of neat stuff including being a fine float plane.

I folded 2 sets of wings and would go along with the suggestion about the wing tube. If I ever get another one I WILL take care of the wing joiner you can bet on that. By the way they both folded at the end of the joiner, but I must give some credit here as the wings didn't completly fail at the time. After they folded ( buckled ) and left creases ( weak spots ) in the wing I didn't trust flying them anymore.

After all this I still think it's a fantastic plane and wish I had another one. ( mine had radio failure and went straight in ) If you don't have one , get one they are great !!!! ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
spotter
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had two. Good flyer, but heavy. Keep up the speed. The wing is plenty strong, the center is wrapped in an 8" glued pvc center section, after the glued brace is inserted. If you folded the wing, probably the glue was not compatible with the materials. My planes suffered splitting of the seams on the tail surfaces. You should dribble CA inside the stabilizers, and the control horns, before assembly. Rough sand surfaces before gluing.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:09 PM
red head

Spotter : Go back and read what I said, the wings didn't completly fold and nothing came loose, they just buckled at the end of the joiner. As I said they didn't like aerobatics and weren't designed to do them, but I did.

I have owned all of the Modelfly planes and still have some, they are Super planes and it's to bad they didn't sell in the States.

ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-04-2008, 03:44 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I posted about this plane in another thread, trying to find out who in the US still sells or distributes them, and can parts be found. I. too buckled the wing on one side at about mid span, from a hard water landing (well, crash, really, straight in from 100 feet), and the steering arm on the nose gear has broken (I use both floats and gear on it and fly it with a Supertigre .61)

Like Meesh said, tough as nails, and the material makes it an ideal water plane.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:11 PM
red head

If you have the rest of the plane complete, I don't see any reason why you couldn't take the old wing ~~~ cut a slot in the under side about 3 feet long and glue in a carbon fiber rod . Or an Alum tube.

When I buckeled my firt one, I checked it real good and went ahead and flew it some more, VERY carefully. I still have it and if I had the rest of the plane and wanted something to just float around, I'd still trust it, they ARE STRONG.

You should be able to modify another nose gear to work, it might take some thinking but there are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-05-2008, 03:02 AM
iwik

Thanks All,
Your comments are appreciated.Have already bought one and will now proceed with the build without any mods.

Khodges:Parts for the plane are available from www.throttlestore.com

RGDS
Les
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine still flies well, the wing didn't break, it just crinkled the top surface where it buckled. I really don't care that much about the nose gear, as I like flying it from water better. I've been trying to sell it locally, couple of people have been interested, but want functional land ing gear. Anybody here interested, let me know.