Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Why do YOU like rc planes?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Why do YOU like rc planes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Murdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do YOU like rc planes?

I thought this could be a place that we all could share our views on this, why you are into rc planes!

My personal opinion:

Rc flying is for me a rewarding thing to do. I learn something new about this amazing hobby everyday!
When I see results of long time practice!
To have control over a plane in the air is the best feeling
And the sosial bit is a big part of it.

So come on and share your views!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Why do YOU like rc planes?

Growing up watching old movies with warbirds in them, and balsa gliders was all it took for me to get the bug. I built some plastic models when I was younger also. but seeing a free flight plane hanging there floating along never got old, even when it was an out of trim glider smacking into the side of your house.. There was some fullscale activity from some of my more distant relatives.. But I have never really been interested in going that route.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM
aa2dd

hmmmm lessee

it gets rid of my excess money
the smell of fuel burning beats the smell of the wifes perfume
it beats listening to the wife give me orders
partaking in the field gossip where you can learn a lot
helping keep the worlds nitro/alkie supply under control
it is enjoyable building ... peace and quiet!
it is a heart thumping thrill when the plane you built hits the ground with a smack
it is more fun than mowing the lawn
I am proud of the scars on my fingers from prop cuts earned in the"old" days before I could afford an electric starter, and no one had told me about the "chicken stick" yet

I could just keep going forever ....but .....

Bruce

Old 10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I like the feeling of having an "unlimited" aircraft carving patterns in the sky
Bringing a plane close in,within several feet and making it do a 3D dance is quite exhillerating too,large or small.
Making a scale model,and flying it in a realistic manner is timeless.
RC aircraft fulfill and create (achievable) dreams for the young and old.
I need to go flying now..
Old 10-12-2008, 06:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Because my wife won't let me have a girlfriend
Old 10-12-2008, 09:50 PM
flynte

Can't afford full scale

flynte
Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Murdoc

why you are into rc planes!

When I was a young kid back in the early 60's, a neighbor use to run his fuselages around the street and lawns to test them and chase us kids. So I decided when I grew up, I wanted to do the same thng to other kids!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 PM
jship

ORIGINAL: flynte

Can't afford full scale

flynte
That and the great fealing of building something from a box of dreams.
john
Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Murdoc

Good, Good Keep It comming
Old 10-13-2008, 08:19 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

There's nothing like the feeling of watching your R/C creation, be it a kit build, plan build or even an ARF, break ground and take flight for the first time and realizing "I built that...". Having R/C control is the next best thing to actually being in the aircraft.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:32 PM
BountyHunter51

For me, it's both fulfilling and rewarding. Building, flying and tinkering are enjoyable.
You can walk away from every crash, *and* it's cheaper than a wife!
(I don't think that it's been cheaper than an ex- wife though.....)
Cheers! BH
Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM
rjbarthel
My Feedback: (2)

I watched my uncle build a control line and fly it in the park back in the mid to late 60's. I have ever since wanted to get a plane to fly . And I had a few extra $ back in 2000 and bought a Kadet LT 40. I added a OS 40 FX and futaba skyport radio . I was hooked big time I now currently have 15 aircraft and sold many over the yrs and have 5 helies and 4 Rc trucks . Just love RC and building kits is so relaxing and the smell of nitro and the trill of flight . I have 4 computers and all have real flight 2 or 3.5 and one has FS One . just love it all
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Whistling Death

Chasing women is too expensive and less rewarding.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I was a nerd , RC planes made me cool with the chicks
Ok , I am still a nerd , but the women love me !!! at leaste two , my wife and mom lol

No in reality , I remember building a Gulliow Arrow rubber flying model .I was 8 , my dad would buy me models hopeing to fule my enginering desires .
I build all types then at 19 I build a HalDebolt Live wire with my dad (who did the covering) I remember being amazed watching the controld move in our kitchen with no wires attached to the plane 1984 .
My dad bought me a three channel futaba to fly the plane , we could not afford a 4 channel .I still have the medal box radio in mint condition still functions perfactly (i dont fly with it ) .
I remember rideing my bike to the field watching planes fly and I was amazed at everything the cool covering vs what I used on stick model , the fact that planes had hatches that were screwed in and could be removed , big wheels with silver shiney hubs ect ect .

I could not wait until the day when I could go to this levle of RC . So after having kids , I started to build once again , and at 48 I fly about once a month because of my involvement with my kids sports , but happy and sad I will soon have way more time to enjoy this great hobby that is very rewarding and brings all great memories to those who play in the short grass
Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I like putting things together. I like fixing things. I like engines. I like airplanes. I like aerodynamics. Putting something together and then seeing it fly is extremely satisfying. I like being outside in beautiful Vermont. I like hanging out with a bunch of really good guys and talking about airplanes. I like trying to improve my skills. I like competing.

Airplanes are cool
Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 AM
opjose

- Hangar fees for full scale are too high
- Insurance fees for full scale are too high
- Fuel prices for full scale are too high
- If I augur in a full scale I cannot rebuild and fly again
- I dislike pain
- I can't afford the variety of full scale equivalents to the RC aircraft I have
- The drama at our airfield each weekend can't be surpassed by other entertainment!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Bob Mitchell

I've been an airplane fan since I was a kid...I'm 58 now.

Back then I played with those cheap balsa gliders that you got at the dime store that just slid together with a weight on the nose and a wing that you could move forward and backward to get the plane to do different things. I built dozens of Revell model airplanes and hung the best ones on fishing line strung between the walls of my bedroom. Graduated to flying Cox .049 control line, but never got into RC which in the early and mid '60s was expensive and unreliable.

A few years after we got married, and had a bit of extra money I got my private ticket when we lived in Baton Rouge. I soloed in a Piper Tomahawk that went for $19 an hour wet, and then graduated to a Warrior that cost $25 an hour wet. Ended up joining an equity based flying club there in BR and in the Chicago area when we moved there. My full scale days pretty much ended when we had our third child and four seats were no longer enough. With three kids there were also many other places for the money to go. I ended up with about 400 hours.

That was it for a long time, until I tried RC for the first time earlier this year. Got hooked in a hurry. It's hard to explain the thrill you get when you advance the throttle and see the wheels break ground. It's just there, and I know that it's as close to flying full scale again as I'm likely to get.

I'm just now assembling my second plane, and already have a mental list of others that I want. Most of my hours are in Cessnas, and I've got my eye on the H9 95" Skylane. Others on the list include a Waco or perhaps a Staggerwing, the GP 72" Gee Bee, (I remember reading about that one as a kid and thinking it was the coolest looking plane I'd ever seen), a P51 or P47 (maybe both) and eventually a B25 or a P38. I love the way it looks when those retracts tuck up with less than a wing span of altitude on take off. I also love the sound and smell of a well tuned 2S or 4S glow engine.

I don't know that it explains it real well, but I think you get the idea.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Ryan I.

I've always loved airplanes. This hobby gives me the chance to build and fly planes I could only dream of otherwise. It is fun to take a pile of wood and turn it into something.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Whirley Bird

I gave up building kits a long time ago.
I just fly RTF planes or buy ones already built but I still enjoy doing some changes, adding a servo to drop a para chute, going from a noise wheel to a taildragger,making changes to the wing,etc.
But i'm out there watching my bird way up there and i'm outdoors where I belong and enjoying meeting new people.
I'm a ham radio operator so at times I insert a tiny CW transmitter under the wing and it outs out maybe 150 mils of RF power.
I was heard in Greenland and the Netherlands.
Also at times I hook up a 14 foot Red,White & Blue wind sock on a 30 foot cord and that TH trainer does a good job pulling it.
It's a nice educational hobby.
Vegas/[8D]
Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I'm into RC for the chicks
Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Whirley Bird

LOL,LOL,
Yeah,
The single moms go there with the kids then ask all the important questions that are non RC related.
Where do you work.
Where do you live.
What kind of car do you drive:-)
Vegas/
Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 PM
krproton

The reason I'm into R/C airplanes is first because I like airplanes.

That said, I like R/C planes because you get to do it all; plan, build/assemble, finish (covering, paint), radio install, engine install, setup and fly. To do all that with a full-size (at least something that would interest me), you'd have to have a lot more money than I do. Then, you would have to store (hangar) it somewhere, file a flight plan and all that. Finally, you (I) wouldn't be able to own/sell/trade/work on like three, four, five or more planes like I can with R/C models.

Once a guy said to me "I don't understand why somebody would want something you couldn't get in and fly." My response was "what does getting in have to do with anything? Being able to actually get into a plane has as much to do with airplanes (for me) as mowing the grass does with knitting - in other words, nothing.

Basically, with model airplanes, you can do it all!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM
krproton

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

Chasing women is too expensive and less rewarding.
Do you chaise them on foot? Try it in your car. They shouldn't be able to out run you.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:08 PM
krproton

ORIGINAL: ForktailedDevil38

I've always loved airplanes. This hobby gives me the chance to build and fly planes I could only dream of otherwise. It is fun to take a pile of wood and turn it into something.
...and then turn it back into a pile of wood again.

(Sorry - couldn't resist. And if I didn't say it somebody else would have.)
Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
turboratt

my dog wanted one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.