Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Next plane? need help.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Next plane? need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 AM
mpw_8679

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Next plane? need help.

Whats up guys? First off let me tell u my past flight experience. I learned to fly with an aircore trainer. Then I built and flew a Sig astro hog. I lost that plane due to moving damage. That was a shame. This was all about 12 years ago when I was a teenager. Well about a year ago I got the urge and pulled my os 70 surpass out of my destroyed hog and built an aircore colt. I bought a new radio system but used the old trusty os. Its a taildragger and fly's nothing like the astro hog but its durable and has taught me how to fly again. Its heavy with the 70 fourstroke plus the weight in the tail to balance it. I fly from a very poor and rough runway, and fly in poor conditions. Mainly wind. I dont think I have mastered the colt but I am very comfortable with it. I have never crashed it. I would like to step up to another plane. I would like a bigger airplane and even possibly a gas burner. Warbirds have caught my eye but I am unsure I have enough skill to fly one. So I would like to hear all your recommendations. Thanks alot guys!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Next plane? need help.

I se you got no response.
Ditto for me alaso.
Can you tell me more about the 4 stroke?
I have that giant trainer from Tower Hobby and looking to install a bigger engine and maybe go with a 4 stroke.
I also have the Avistar that I converted to a tail dragger and now like to go up on engine size.
Any suggestions?
Vegas/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56949.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1051544  
Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 AM
moparcolt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a saito .72 4 stroke in my trainer (sig kadet LT-40) and it was awesome, really pulled it around good made take offs much easier then with the smaller engine I had on it at first. MPW 8679 what kind of flying do you want to do? Aerobatics, 3D, just casual sport flying? all of these would make a difference in a recomendation. A sig 4* is always a good plane, I know several people who have them and really like them. Also a real winner is the great planes RV4 60 size, a couple of guys at our field have them, and they are great, not really affected much by wind easy to land, and a little bigger plane which is nice.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Beckster2008

I second the four star 40 idea. Easy build, fun to fly,looks great and can be customized easy.
Joe
Old 10-14-2008, 03:50 PM
mpw_8679

I like aerobatics but i still want something that I can just cruise around casually. Whirley Bird after having a fourstroke I dont think I could ever go back to a 2 stroke, unless it was a gas burner. Just the sound alone is enough to have one in my opinion. The os 70 in my colt flies it very well. Four strokes are a little harder to tune by ear so a tach is usually needed.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 AM
carrellh

You mentioned warbirds, so I'll toss this one out as a possibility since a stroke is recommended:
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...sp?ProductID=4

I do not have personal experience with this plane. A LHS owner has the plane and he says it is one of the best flying warbirds he has ever flown. He says it does not have bad stall charsacteristics.

I do have a kit built Great Planes Corsair 40 with an OS 70 four stroke. My plane does not pretend to be "scale." GP specifically says it is a sport plane that resembles a Corsair. This plane stalls like a trainer; it just drops the nose until it picks up enough speed to fly. Thelanding gear wires are a bit soft though and they bend easily when landing on grass.

The primary negative to this plane, and almost any warbird, is the fact that it has retracts. You mentioned a rough field, which means the gear will take a beating.