Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Glow plugs driving me nuts/Fly-Bar

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Glow plugs driving me nuts/Fly-Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glow plugs driving me nuts/Fly-Bar

Hi Gang,
I'm getting back after a three year period away from fixed wings.
I recovered 1 wing and the bird is ready.
My question is what the heck is a fly bar on a glow plug?
I'm going to see a change if I go from a stock cheap glow plug and switch to one designed for 30% nitro?
What about using a 4 stroke plug in a 2 stroke engine?
Vegas/[8D]
Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glow plugs driving me nuts/Fly-Bar

Flybar???? funny... I only find these on my heli's... not my glow plugs I assume your talking about an IDLE BAR, on the bottom of the plug you see a square bar that spans the width of the glow plug? if so its an idle bar glow plug and you can use it... myself I WILL NOT... I don't need an idle bar plug to help me tune for a good idle and I surely don't want to risk the bar breaking off and destroying my engine.
High nitro plugs are colder... if you run lower nitro, tuning the low end and getting a good idle my prove difficult... it would help if you stated what engine were talking about.

You can run 4 stroke plugs in 2 stroke engines... 4 stroke plugs are hotter and will give you a better idle with say an inverted engine... HOWEVER... I've never had any trouble getting a 2 stroke running like a swiss watch in ANY position using an O.S. #8 plug. One thing... you can only run 4 stroke plugs in engines designed for LONG REACH plugs... stick a 4 stroke plug or any long reach plug for that matter in an engine designed for short reach plugs will destroy the piston.

John
Old 10-14-2008, 07:17 PM
opjose

I think you mean IDLE bar, a "Fly Bar" is on a heli.

The IDLE bar is a piece of metal, that is used to keep fuel from splashing the coil.

They used to be used extensively but have fallen out of favor of late, and it is getting hard to find plugs with idle bars in them nowadays.

They really should not be needed anyway.

Re: Nitro.

It depends upon the engine.

Higher nitro content helps a lot with the engine tuning and setup. The engine becomes far more tolerant of mistuning.
A high nitro plug may not be advisable if you are using low nitro content fuel.

Re: 4 stroke plug.

Many 2 stroke engines come with 4 stroke glow plugs installed. It depends upon the engine.

The larger .60-1.60 2C engines work best with "long" or "4 stroke" plugs and this is often recommended.

Some of the smaller engines may not be able to incorporate a long plug however and you risk damaging the cylinder.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys,
I was here working on one of the helies and I got Idle bar and fly bar crossed in my head.
OK thanks for that info.
I only play around with the TH trainers and I want to upgrade to a bigger engine.
All i'm running now are the small .40 and the .46.
I see TH has a neat looking .75 I like to run on the Avastar.
I learned to fly that pretty good so now I want to do some more radical maneuvers with it.
Thanks for responding
Vegas/
Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Whirlybird.... venturing in to plankdom I see Me I'm a die hard plank flyer that happens to like heli's also...unlike some of my counter parts[:'(] I'm sure you know the type

Anyway you can NEVER have too much power HOWEVER... if your running a good 46 on your Avistar you have plenty for the most radical maneuvers the plane can produce... what I would do is this.
1) crank up the throws(set dual rates)... Ail, as much as you can get... Rud, the same... Elv, increase by 25% and see how you like it... go for as much as you feel you can handle with out stalling snaping out the plane. once you do this you'll probably like the plane bettter... Avistars fly great with cranked up throws.
2) Once your unhappy with the cranked up throws its time to move the C.G. back[>:]... go a 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch at a time and test fly it on STOCK LOW RATES! then kick it up to high once you get a feel for the new C.G. you'll know when you have went far enough

John