Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Lancair ES Pictures

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Lancair ES Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 PM
bluestratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Lancair ES Pictures

I am about to modify the wheel pants for the sierra strut. Can any one tell me what blue and gold colors they used (manufacture and color name if possible) I found a lot of pics in the thread but unless I missed it, no color info. I checked with tower but the matching paint is not availble in the saphire blue or the metalic Gold.

By the way, I cut the hatch open on the side and it came out perfectly. I used my dental picks to scribe around the outline as deep as possible, then at the corners I used a small swivel xacto blade to free them up, followed by a sharp #11 blade on the straights. It took about 1 hour to have it cut but the cuts are perfect and the door acutally needs to be sanded a very small amount to give adeqate clearances. I then placed a piece of white plastic in the opening from behind, traced the outline and added a light 1/8th inch to the inside of the outline to act door jamb/stop. Once I had it cut, I narrowed the overlap to about 3/8", set into place and using thin CA glued it into place. Perfect! The door opens and closes flush. I added some reinforceing wood to the sides of the door to keep it from flexing. This was easy, I cut a piece of light ply that fit into the opening then traced the curve on to it. A quick cut on the scroll saw and a bit of fine sanding on the round end of my belt sander and all done. The stiffens the door up so the latch cannot pop out.

Best regards,
Randy
Old 03-05-2007, 07:38 PM
bluestratos

I got my Sierra strut but I am concerned that the wheel pant is too narrow for the strut yoke to fit inside. Was this a problem with any of you that have installed the pants on the Strut?

I am using a OS 91FX 2 stroke with a 14/7 three bladed propeller. The in effency of the 3 blade will off set by the extra power of the 91. I ruined one engine mount by mounting it per the templet which turned out to really not fit the cowl nicely and stuck out too far as well. The second time I measured the depth first and mounted the engine to the mount, then I made a clamp that would fit into the fuel tank hole and hold the mount/engine on the firewall. This way I was able to move the engine a little left/right up/down to get a perfect alignment for the spinner to cowl. Came out awsome.. perfect centering.

I also pulled out the forwared former and cut a new one to allow me to use a 24oz fuel tank instead of the little one that came with the plane. Came out great, I set the tank at 1/4" above the center line of the carb per the engines recommedations, allowing for the thickness of some 1/4"foam rubber under the tank (I made a little shelf that the tank rests on.)

Regards,
Randy
Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to POST #325 this shoes the strut in the orginal nose pant on SD Crashmaster's Lancair!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:32 AM
bluestratos

Thanks...
I had read every post twice but never seen the fit issure mentioned. Last night I cut out the extra material that was formed into the pant for the origional nose gear. I then made a small modification to the yoke as it turned out to be wider at the wheel then at the top. Now it fits inside, a friction fit but it works. I then sanded the inside edges and inside flats of the pant, put some masking tape on the outside to act as a form then, filled the slot with epoxy and micro ballons then followed that with three layers of 1/2 glass. This morning I took of the tape and voila, the fill looks perfect and strong with no significant added thickness. I am waiting for some matching paint from Nelson Hobbies then I will repaint to match origional. He does not sell metallic colors so todays quest is to find some gold that will be close enough, preferably in an acrylic.

Best regards,
Randy

Old 03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Arceenut

Re alignment of the aeleron.
Did anyone consider that the flap may not all the way up? Make sure that the flap is in the prope position (same as the other side). before blaming the wing or aeleron.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

Hi

How are you guys doing. Has anybody used a Saito 91 with this plane. Also how is the ease of build for this ARF. Is this plane typically a fast flying plane or can you fly it pretty relaxing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Scott
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 PM
orvel

baddley, if you read through this thread I'm sure somebody's using the Saito 91, as well as you can get assembly tips. I personally decided on the OS91FS with pump, which for me and a lot of guys flying this airplane is the perfect choice. This airplane is very quick and agile, but you can slow it down to half throttle or a bit less for cruising with no problem. You do need to fly it scale and by all means stay away from high stress maneuvers (especially snaps) it wasn't designed for that and if you do you could break the wing and you'll be watching it all the way down. This airplane is challenging and a lot of fun but throttle management is a must! On calm days you'll need the flaps to slow it down for landing. Assembly is pretty straight forward athough some aspects could be tricky.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:10 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

I have two of these models, both with OS91 Surpass II 4-strokes. One with a two blade prop and pitts muffler and one with a 3-blade prop and stck muffler. They both fly great. As mentioned, fly it scale with NO high stress maneuvers. They will fly relatively fast. High speed low passes slightly banked (photo pass) are awsome. Landings can be tricky but flaps are required.

ORIGINAL: baddley

Hi

How are you guys doing. Has anybody used a Saito 91 with this plane. Also how is the ease of build for this ARF. Is this plane typically a fast flying plane or can you fly it pretty relaxing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31895.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	647157  
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 PM
kochj

I was looking for a plane that was scale and one that actually transported people. I fell in love with KMP Cirrus SR 22-G2, but at 550$ a pop, it kind of negates the whole purpose of a inbetween plane that you would enjoy flying,. easy to transport and inexspensive! I think I found it with the GP Lancair!
I have a new magnum 91 4-stroke that I picked up from the great sale they have, after I had a bad experience with a saito. I can say that so far it is the best running 4-stroke I have owned. Would work well in this plane....
All fiberglass fuslage! nice! I thought about the cap 232 as a smaller version of my cap 580, but I just want a plane that is more relaxing to fly. hmmmmm
not sure what I am going to do?[&o] But the GP Lancair is closest thing to the Cirrus SR 22-G2

Name:	Lj23206.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	666220  
Old 04-17-2007, 01:30 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

kochj,
I looked at the Cirrus as well. But I walked away with the "empty wallet" feeling and would not "enjoy" flying a plane that cost that much. It would certainly top out over $1,000 when it is ready to fly.

As far as the GP Lancair, I stated that I have two. Why two? They are good looking, relatively inexpensive, easy to build and a blast to fly. You can just tool around and enjoy leisure flying. You can also fly all of the scale manuervers that full scale pilots perform with this plane. I went to an air show last summer and saw a pilot ring out a stock Lancair Columbia 400 (see picture). I now try to mimic his maneuvers ( loops, rolls, low passes, slow rolls, cuban eights). One cool pattern I fly is a very wide sweeping circle at low altitude - really neat to see the plane on a long circular knife edge...

There have been some reports of wing failures but I have not had any problems. Just don't yank on the elevator at full speed!!

ORIGINAL: kochj

I was looking for a plane that was scale and one that actually transported people. I fell in love with KMP Cirrus SR 22-G2, but at 550$ a pop, it kind of negates the whole purpose of a inbetween plane that you would enjoy flying,. easy to transport and inexspensive! I think I found it with the GP Lancair!
I have a new magnum 91 4-stroke that I picked up from the great sale they have, after I had a bad experience with a saito. I can say that so far it is the best running 4-stroke I have owned. Would work well in this plane....
All fiberglass fuslage! nice! I thought about the cap 232 as a smaller version of my cap 580, but I just want a plane that is more relaxing to fly. hmmmmm
not sure what I am going to do?[&o] But the GP Lancair is closest thing to the Cirrus SR 22-G2

Name:	Db83644.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	666644  
Old 04-17-2007, 04:46 PM
orvel

koch, I echo Vic's comments, I've had my GP Lancair for a few years now and I like it so much that I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. It's good looking airplane that's a joy to fly, but you gotta fly it sensibly and scale. Per Vic's comment about wing failures, it's true but it's been happenning to people who try to push the envelope beyond the airplane's design and capability. I built mine per the instructions without deviating or fiberglassing the wing center section and I've never had a problem.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:52 AM
octane-link

I am thinking about getting this plane, but I am partial to Evolution Engines. Does anyone know if that would work in this cowl?

I would likely install a glow driver so that I didn't need a hole for the external glow driver.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:15 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course it will work but then the muffler will be sticking out like a sore thumb. Even with a 4C its a bit of work to get the muffler to exit cleanly, that is why GP used the OS and the in cowl muffler. This is one plane you would love to fly with a 4C engine. Try to if you can ... its really worth it.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
msimi

OK, Here goes. Hope some or all of you can help. I have not yet purchased a Lancair but it is definately in my future. I finished a Top Flite Cesnna 310 and have been flying it since last may. GREAT AIRPLANE! Anyway here's my question(s). I have a surplus of (6) O.S. 91's but they are "heli" engines. (Where did I get em' is another story). I did some measuring and have concluded that the O.S. 91 C-Spec w/pump WILL fit in the Lancair (Maybe have to go inverted). Can anyone answer the cooling and/or heating questions. My take? It'll run cooler than I really want. Correct?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:13 PM
orvel

msimi, I fly my Lancair with the OS91FS Pump, its mounted sideways and all I had to do was cut the cowl to allow for the valve cover (take a look at my gallery). I've never had any cooling/heating problems. I don't know what to say about a helicopter 91 for airplane use, you might want to post your question in the OS engine forum.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 PM
bluestratos

I have a 90 os 2 stroke in mine. I put a baffle on one side so all the air is directed across the head. The only air out let is around the front landing gear and I have no cooling problems even in light of the 25% fuel I burn. Will it run too cool due to the large head used on a heli engine, I would say not since a lot of planes have no cowl and the head is directly in the airstream. Of course you need to buy a key and a thrust plate, front washer and nut to use a heli engine with a prop.

On a side note, I photographed the head of the engine I am using, the fliped it and pasted the photo onto the air dam. Every one that looks inside the air intakes thinks I have a twin engine, lol...

The 90 2 stroke has plenty of power, even in light of the 3 bladed prop I am using. I did have to do some minor filing around the carb at the small needle location as it was rubbing against the top of the cowl. I was able to remove just a small amount to provide about 1/16" clearance. The small needle is recessed so removing the material did not weaken the threads.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:14 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bluestratos

I have a 90 os 2 stroke in mine. I put a baffle on one side so all the air is directed across the head. The only air out let is around the front landing gear and I have no cooling problems even in light of the 25% fuel I burn. Will it run too cool due to the large head used on a heli engine, I would say not since a lot of planes have no cowl and the head is directly in the airstream. Of course you need to buy a key and a thrust plate, front washer and nut to use a heli engine with a prop.

On a side note, I photographed the head of the engine I am using, the fliped it and pasted the photo onto the air dam. Every one that looks inside the air intakes thinks I have a twin engine, lol...

The 90 2 stroke has plenty of power, even in light of the 3 bladed prop I am using. I did have to do some minor filing around the carb at the small needle location as it was rubbing against the top of the cowl. I was able to remove just a small amount to provide about 1/16" clearance. The small needle is recessed so removing the material did not weaken the threads.
Cool idea...where's the photo of it[:@]
We wanna seeee!
PR
Old 12-07-2007, 04:15 PM
msimi

Thanks Orvel and Blustratos for the information.
I use Solidworks to 3d model and I did some measurements, calcs, and modeled the O.S. 91 C-Spec in the Lancair cowling. Fits great sideways. With remote start wiring I'll only cut holes for the carb needle and nose gear clearance.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, my Lancair is en route to the house along with an OS .91 4-stroke w/pump. I've already picked up some 1/4" by .007" carbon fiber strip to sandwich between the wing joiner, and might peel back the covering and laminate it along the top and bottom of the wing spar for 4-6" out from the center. I've also got some 4" fiberglass cloth to wrap the center section with if needed. Along with that, I'll go ahead and make a joiner plate for the landing gear, and I should be all set. On the topic of an aluminum plate, where can I pick up some lightweight 1/16" aluminum? The hobby shop didn't have anything, and I'm not sure if that's something Lowe's/Home Depot would carry or not. Lastly, I've spoken via email with Darrell from Sierra and he tells me he has the struts made and ready to send whenever I'm ready to order. I'm a bit hesitant to drop that much on a simple strut for an ARF since I do fly off of a very nice asphalt runway, but with the reviews it's received here I trust it's still a very worthwhile addition.

Also, and I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times, but what size 3-blade are you guys running on these .91 4-strokes?

Thanks for the help, and I hope to be putting up some pics in this thread soon enough.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
orvel

Cobra good luck with your Lancair, you're going to love this airplane, it's a fast, and great flyer. Mine is 4 years old with over 100 flights, I built it by the book with no additional strength in the center of the wing and yet I've never had even a hint of a problem with wing failure. I do fly it scale and don't push the envelope with maneuvers it wasn't designed for. You got the same engine that I have, the OS91FS with pump. Great engine and perfect power for this airplane, I'm still waiting for my first dead stick with fuel left in the tank! The perfect 3-blade prop is the Master Airscrew 13 x 8, you should get around 9100 with it. I've also used the Graupner 12.5 x 7 3-blade, not much of a difference but slightly less rpms. BTW, asphalt or grass you won't be sorry to get the Sierra nose strut, it'll make a big difference in your landings and much improved handling on the ground.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 PM
camdyson

Try the local hardware/building supplies store - I get all my aluminium sheet that way.

Get the Sierra strut - then you'll enjoy the plane instead of cursing it!

Have fun,

Cam
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Auburn02

Thanks guys. I'll have to check out Lowes and Home Depot for the aluminum sheet.

I know this is a picture thread so I'll be sure to include some, but it's not of the completed plane just yet.

I got my Lancair this week, but upon examining it I had a couple of issues/questions. First is the wings. They definitely have a warp/droop down out towards the tip of each wing when looking down them from the root. I don't know if it's something that would affect flight performance, but I know just looking at the plane on the runway will bother me if the tips are drooping noticeably. Did you guys see this with your wings? Knowing the wings are fully sheeted, if I deem this unacceptable there's nothing I'll be able to do short of contacting Tower or Great Planes for a replacement pair. That being said, would this be something I would take up with the seller (Tower) or directly with Great Planes?

One other thing, the fuselage looks like it was wiped down with some kind of solvent prior to packaging which left streaks on the windows and fuselage paint itself. So far I've quickly wiped at it with water and windex but the streaks remain. I'll give some rubbing alcohol a shot, but figured I'd ask y'all about this too and see what you thought.

I appreciate any input you guys might have.

Name:	Qn38591.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	847255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64964.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	847256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17248.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	847257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48864.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	847258  
Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
bluestratos

Unless you decide to send it back, you will be able to clear up the streaks with polishing compond and soft cloths. A little bit of elbow grease and it will look better than factory. If for some reason this does not work, no harm done and you can still return. Just be sure to use a clean, soft cloth to rub the polishing compond with to avoid adding scratchs to the problem.

Best regards,
Randy
Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Auburn02

I was able to get the streaks off the fuselage, really it just took some hard rubbing with my finger to get through them but now that I know they'll come off I'll go over the thing with a polishing compound like you suggested. Thanks!

Now, still trying to make a decision about the wings. Did anyone else's wings have the bow like mine do or were everyone's perfectly straight? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 AM
bluestratos

My lancair had wing tip drops that I had to glue on so it would have hidden anything you are showing. Do you not have the same parts in your kit?

Regards,
Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.