Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Thats a really nice looking job on those flaps, but why would you want or need them? The plane lands wonderfully well and now you will have more weight from the servo. But if you want to have them just ot have them I understand.........
Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 PM
bonebreak

ORIGINAL: skysfallin

Thats a really nice looking job on those flaps, but why would you want or need them?
I too think they look great, but have to agree with skysfallin. The plane flies/glides wonderfly, especially on landings.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
walexan1
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rich52mag

Flew mine today. Put the TT.46 PRO all the way up front to save weight on the balance. Flew nice,but a little bouncy on landings.Front section of fuselage vibrates at high throttle.Not sure if thats gona hold together.Epoxied my tail on.Kinda reminds me of my sportster,but with more control surface.
Rich,
The front fuselage section vibrated a lot at a certain throttle range, not sure if it was an unbalanced prop or propwash. It vibrated enough to crack the fuselage sides a little at
the top and bottom around the engine mount area. I used triangle stock and CA to strengthen that area. I also glued a piece of plywood between the fuse sides underneath the
engine and that seemed to help with the vibration.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM
YarSmytheJr

...The plane lands wonderfully well and now you will have more weight from the servo. But if you want to have them just ot have them I understand.........
I owned a Sig Four Star 40 similar to the Escapade. It needed a long final approach. I read this one likes to land long as well so it seemed adding flaps would be an easy upgrade. I may not need them but if they do help, other people may want to consider the modification since it is so easy with this kit. As for weight...one servo? I can live with that.

All the servos are installed and mixes set. Just need to get that motor and battery tray installed and we're good to go! More to come.

-Lee
Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
ptuxbury

Hi Lee,

This plane can be landed in a very short distance. Due to early spring wetness on my local field I've had to land it in less than 1/3 of the field, and I've been able to do it with ease. I still think the flaps are cool though. This is a part of what the hobby is about - taking something everyone else has and putting your thoughts and ideas into it. I think it's great.

-Tux
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Would love to see some video of the landings with the flaps! And ptuxbury is right it is what the hobby is about making it what you want! I also have a Hangar 9 Spitfire and there is a gentelman building one on that forum and has done a wonderful job making his mark on the plane! Check that one out if you get a chance. Bob

Have a great day! I know i'm going too!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:00 PM
arniebud

I have just found this thread, having followed a link from another forum. I notice that there has been only one post from one person that was going to power with electric. I have mine ready to maiden, whenever the wind stops blowing for at least one morning. I built electric using A123 battery for power, and have also added flaps. Prior to finding this thread, I had not been aware of the elevator wire problem, so I will immediately fix that. I am curious about the lack of postings from electric power, though, since there is a fair number of posting on the other forum. Are there others out there, and what have been your experiences with this plane?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM
hairy46

Follow the forum and these guys will help with all the little problems with the plane, Then do not over power it! Itis fast with a OS 46 AX! Some have put a 55 on it but not sure you would use it to its full power! I just remembered you are going electric and I know so very little about that subject! But great job building yours and do remember to follow this forum to get the bugs out ! Bob

Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
bonebreak

Well guys, I just got back from flying this bird again, and all I can say is WOW. I really like this plane alot. I kept my 11 x 7 prop on it, and can get unlimited vertical. I was able to do 4-point rolls with ease, and they looked great to boot. I also did some VERY high stall turn, split -s's, and knife edge's. Now that the air leak in my tank has been fixed (my poblem when I maidened it), she screams!!! I do have an issue with inverted flight. Although it can be done, and fairly easily, it just doesn't look very good doing it. I think it goes inverted similar to a high wing bird (at kind of a nose up attitude). It is still fun anyways. I got about 10 flights tonight, and can't wait to get more.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:12 PM
hairy46

Here its has been very windy, and before that rain and before that snow! They are saying maybe next week it will get better and then I hopefully will fly a bunch! I have been building all winter and I have about six planes to maiden, I have only flown one day this year but what I learned I liked the Escapade very little time on her, But the 46 seemed plenty! I do want get her up again but this weather! at least we do not have to worry about drout this summer! But the RC weather gods have been tough on us here lately! Bonebreak can we trade shoes for a day? Sounds like you are having fun! Bob

Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
bonebreak

We have been having a rash of really bad weather too. More rain is coming tomorrow. Today was a little windy 12-14mph, but I just HAD to get out there. It was warm, and the wind calmed down as it got later. I am glad I went too. I needed to scratch the itch.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 AM
hairy46

Our wind here was just terrible today about thirty all day with gust of fifty and better! But I do understand when I get a chance I am so out there! I am going to War-birds over the Rockies at the end of the summer so i want to be ready to fly down there, it will be my biggest fly-in that I ever attended to fly. I only watched last couple of years looking forward to it! Well have fun in between storms! Love the Escapade, the covering was great on mine just touched up the seams for a just incase, how was the covering on yours? Bob

Have a great day! I know I'm going too!
Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM
bonebreak

The covering on mine was good. It had a couple wrinkles, but I don't have an iron, so they stayed there. I plan on investing in an iron really soon though. I currently have three planes, and they all have some wrinkles.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
hairy46

Yes I use a iron and a heat gun with the glove to smooth out the rinkels, but I do seem to luck out my escapade had none Great planes stik 60 was perfect and my Hangar 9 Spitfire none all I did was just hit the seams with the iron. Just built the grand kids a tower hobbies trainer and it had to be tighten up big time! But its a well thought out trainer. Still very windy out there so no flying at all today[&o] Hope you can today! Bob

Old 05-09-2009, 02:02 PM
sparket3

can someone give me an idea how to hook upa throttle cable on escapade to saito 56 4 stroke the hole in firewall is about half inch to the left of throttle connection it looks tight.picture might help. ty
Old 05-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you bend the pushrod "Z" bend that goes to the carburetor arm so that the the part that goes through the arm is longer and will make the jog over to the carburetor arm?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:09 PM
dmagicp

Just thought I would post some pictures of my completed Escapade. I set it up with 4 JR ST47BB Standard Ball Bearing servos and 1 Futaba S3004 for throttle. I have a 5 cell Duracell 2650 mAh battery pack (homemade) and for power I installed a Super Tigre 51. To tame it and keep the plane slow I installed an APC 12X4 prop. The plane balanced dead on with this setup, however I added 1/2 once of weight to the front firewall just to bias it more on the nose heavy side. The wind here in Ohio is gusting 40 mph so I have yet to fly it. However I did get the engine tuned and it seems to turn the big prop with just a slight lag in spool up time. (I love Super Tigres!) I hope this info will help anyone who is contemplating building the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38117.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1195139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fv26017.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1195140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk53307.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1195141  
Old 05-09-2009, 06:25 PM
bonebreak

I think your muffler looks great, but I think you may fling "goo" all over the servo under that wing (if of course you used two servos). Just a heads up. Also, I dont think that you will need the additional weight up front. If you are balancind within spec, you will be fine. I am actually moving my CG back a little to help with inverted flight. It loves to nose down when inverted, and needs more input than I would like when she goes upside down.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 PM
dmagicp

You know I didn't think about the servo. I was trying to minimize the goo from flying all over the top of the plane with it going straight back. What do you think of the recommended low rates per the manual? do you think they are too conservative? how did you set yours up?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 PM
bonebreak

I have mine set on full throws (as far as my servos safely allow with no strain), with a little expo dialed in (about 25% on elevators and ailerons, and 50% on rudder). I do have a dual rate switch, but it only gets touched on takeoff sometimes. I like dual rates, but dont like to think if its on high or low at any given time on the escapade. It is such a gentle flyer, it really doesn't make much difference. My Extra 330l, that is a totally different animal, and I HAVE to tone the throws down.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 PM
e30pq

I have mine setup for the high rate throws. I have dual rate but I hardly use that any more. I used it a little when I first started flying this plane.

The plane does some wicked snap rolls with the high rate setup.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:17 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sparket3

can someone give me an idea how to hook upa throttle cable on escapade to saito 56 4 stroke the hole in firewall is about half inch to the left of throttle connection it looks tight.picture might help. ty
TY,
I just got mine assembled and I'm doing the same setup. I'll figure something out and post a pic in a day or two.
I want to mount my FA56 side ways and have the exhaust out the bottom but, I want the cowl and no one has them.
For now I'll do the standard mounting.

Bob
Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 PM
trainerteen

my escapade flies like a little angel i can do flat spins and snaps no problems so far
Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM
e30pq

BTW My Escapade stopped whistling since I glued to tail feathers to the fuse.

Not sure if some air was getting in there or if it was some kind of high speed resonance causing the whistle but my whistle is gone.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:14 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhere I thought I read that this was an aileron trainer. No way Jose' is this a second trainer!! I'd say a third plane.
I bought it for my dad who is flying a 3 channel Kadet Senior. I received it last Friday and finished it this morning.
I was going to use a new Saito 56GK but I tossed in an old OS40 FSR I had. I figured I'd put an 11x7 prop on to slow it down.
for Pops.

I went to the field, with dad, and took off. The engine was running great. I luv the old FSR's!
I got her trimmed out and ....This thing is a bullet!! It's more like a Quickie 500 than a aileron trainer. It does the best knife edge of any plane I have.

Well, I gave it to my dad and told him he can try it at the end of the summer. I'll get him up to speed on my 20 year old Super Sportster.

I may have to get another one of these to soup up....like it needs it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.