Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:30 PM
rich52mag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

How do I get off this thread?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:04 PM
jbrowne

ORIGINAL: ptuxbury

Since Tom and bonebreak mentioned the Sullivan tail gear, I figured I'd post a picture of mine. I had to shorten the mounting bracket in order to clear the hole where the stabilizer threaded standoffs come through the bottom of the fuse. It only required cutting the last mounting hole off (you'll see what I mean in the photo). The hole closest to the pivot is fastened to fuse with a wood screw. I was able to fasten the hole furthest away from the pivot with a machine screw and nut on the inside of the fuse. I got the one for 5-12 lb range.

Hearing the stories about tail wheels falling off, I think I'll grind a little flat in the tail gear, and locktite the set screw into the collar. I meant to do it before, but forgot as I continued with the build. I'm glad the discussion came up again to jog my memory.

-ptux
ptuxbury,
After reading your post, I decided to use the Sullivan 5-12 pound tail gear (P/N S860) with a Du-Bro 1" tail wheel (P/N 100TW) and a collar.
Cost me about $16 CDN.

The tail gear comes with 2 springs, one soft and one stiff.
I used the stiff spring and installed it exactly as the instructions show.

By far a much better assembly than the stock tail wheel assembly.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:31 PM
jbrowne

I found that the stock Clevis and Horns allowed a bit of flutter on the Ail/Rud/Ele.

I found a post in rcuniverse (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012635, post #56) that shows using swivel links.
Totally removed the clevis/horn slop.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17072.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1269782  
Old 09-06-2009, 04:32 PM
paul33507

Here is the finished product, still using the stock tail wheel for now, probably will pick up a new one after the maiden flight Monday morning. My LHS will be open and it is on the way to the field. Here is a pic of the Escapade and my co-pilot Buster. He always has to be in the garage whenever I am building/repairing/salvaging. I will report on how things go tomorrow, wish me luck
-Paul

Name:	Jh17041.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1269783  
Old 09-06-2009, 05:40 PM
djculver

Rich52mag:

If you go to the top of this page and click on the forums button, you will see a drop down menu. On it will be subscriptions. Click on this and a pop up window comes up and shows the forums that you subscribe to. If you click on the forum you want to unsubscribe, the check mark goes away. If you want to unsubscribe to all, click on the "check all" button and this will take care of it. I had the same issue. My question got answered two weeks ago, and since then I have received over 30 email alerts about new postings! Hope it helps.
DJ
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM
djculver

see my answer below about removing yourself from this thread.
DJ
Old 09-10-2009, 11:24 PM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: paul33507

...I will report on how things go tomorrow, wish me luck
-Paul
I guess Paul had such a good time, he forgot to tell us about it. I was wanting to hear how it flew with the 40 La on it.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 AM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: faulknej

ORIGINAL: paul33507

...I will report on how things go tomorrow, wish me luck
-Paul
I guess Paul had such a good time, he forgot to tell us about it. I was wanting to hear how it flew with the 40 La on it.
I am not Paul but I will give you a report how my 3 flights went Tuesday. After the second flight my stock tail wheel wire that goes thru the post on the bottom of the rudder bent. I straighened the wire out and after the third flight the same wire broke off.
I have ordered the Sullivan tail wheel S860 from the Lhs and it will come in today.
My engine is the OS 40 SR and the plane is plenty fast. I am running Omega fai fuel with 0 % nitro. I don't know how my engine compares power wise to a 40 LA.
The Supertigre 46 I had on my plane originally would never run properly so I ordered a Perry carb for it to see if I can get it run correctly.
The OS 40 SR is a thirsty engine.
Captain Buford
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM
crash1ace

I finally got the Escapade balanced and flown ! It still took some led to get it balanced. I moved the battery just behind the firewall, receiver still in same place (no place to move it), kept the plastic spinner but used a master airscrew prob, with still a 1oz weight inside the spinner, also still had to add 2oz led up front.

Was great to see it finally fly and fly straight too! now Im happy! :-) Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Mikecam

Well here is an update to my problems with GP. Page 20 post #486 . It has now been almost 5 months and still no plane. I emailed Mark F. at great planes telling him how disappointed I am. He told me that he did not receive the damaged plane back so therefore did not send the replacement. When talking on the phone with Mark F. he said that a replacement would be shipped to my LHS when they came back in stock. Funny because I did try to take the damaged plane back to my LHS and they asked if I could keep it till the replacement plane came in with the return shipping paperwork. They have a small shop and so I had no problem keeping it for them till the return shipping documents came in with the replacement plane. I can understand GP waiting to receive the damaged plane before shipping the new one IF they were sending it to me. They were not however, the plan right from the beginning was to have GP deal with my LHS. My LHS called me and confirmed that GP had called them and were sending out a replacement plane. Sounds to me GP dropped the ball and now came up with this excuse to cover there incompetence. In the end I still have a 11 year old waiting for his birthday gift. Oh well I guess hopefully he will have it by his 12th birthday, although with GP customer service I wouldn't put money on it. I will start giving other company's a chance at my business and will learn from this experience. Thanks to all for the reply's and kind and helpful words.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8779529

Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
jbrowne

Finish assembly except for decals.
Got it to balance perfectly without any lead.
I had tried to balance with an OS46 but it would need some lead up front.
The OS55 is slightly heavier that the OS46 and was just enough to balance without lead.
Rx receiver and battery postioned and mounted as per manual.

- All servos Hitech HS485
- Dual aileron servers
- Sullivan tail wheel S860
- HydriMax 2000ma NiMH 4.8v Rx battery
- Spektrum AR7000 receiver
- OS 55
- 11/7 prop
- aluminum spinner
- Hanger 9 Fuel Dot

Name:	Lj23950.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1273825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14263.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1273826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78455.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1273827  
Old 09-12-2009, 08:19 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Mike, that is to bad they did not do you right! I have had nothing but good things come from great plane, but I do think what you went through is not like them I would be looking elsewhere for my next plane had that happened to me! Good luck and again sorry for your troubles! Bob
Old 09-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Mickzo

I'm looking for a 4 stroke engine to put on my escapade. I will only use it for casual flying and some aerobatics.

My LHS suggested the Saito 72 but I think it might be an overkill for the plane and what I want to do.

Can someone please suggest either a Saito or OS 4 stroke as well as prop size to match?

thanks,
Mike
Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 AM
eagle09tbl

Hi Mike,

Not a Saito or OS as you asked for, but I have a Magnum 52 four stroke on mine with a 11X5 prop. It's a great combination and the engine is a bit cheaper than the two you asked about.

My Magnum has proven very reliable, rarely needs any tuning of the needles and is more than enough power for this plane. I'm really happy with this setup. Hope you find something that works for you soon.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
flylower

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Well here is an update to my problems with GP. Page 20 post #486 . It has now been almost 5 months and still no plane. I emailed Mark F. at great planes telling him how disappointed I am. He told me that he did not receive the damaged plane back so therefore did not send the replacement. When talking on the phone with Mark F. he said that a replacement would be shipped to my LHS when they came back in stock. Funny because I did try to take the damaged plane back to my LHS and they asked if I could keep it till the replacement plane came in with the return shipping paperwork. They have a small shop and so I had no problem keeping it for them till the return shipping documents came in with the replacement plane. I can understand GP waiting to receive the damaged plane before shipping the new one IF they were sending it to me. They were not however, the plan right from the beginning was to have GP deal with my LHS. My LHS called me and confirmed that GP had called them and were sending out a replacement plane. Sounds to me GP dropped the ball and now came up with this excuse to cover there incompetence. In the end I still have a 11 year old waiting for his birthday gift. Oh well I guess hopefully he will have it by his 12th birthday, although with GP customer service I wouldn't put money on it. I will start giving other company's a chance at my business and will learn from this experience. Thanks to all for the reply's and kind and helpful words.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8779529

I have had several dealings with Great Planes (through Towerhobbies.com) and they have always responded immediately. Most recently, I purchased an Escapade from Towerhobbies.com and have been waiting on my cowl for about 6 weeks, so haven't worked on the plane much yet. I decided to begin assembly about 10 days ago, and noticed the tab on the front of the left wing half was partially broken off. I called Towerhobbies, who in turn contacted Great Planes (I was on hold for about 5 minutes) and was then informed by Towerhobbies that GP was shipping me a new set of wings. I received them about 6 days later. In my experience, this has been typical of GP customer service on at least 3 other occasions involving other planes, either wing or fusalage in the last 2 years. With this in mind, I would probably be suspicious of my LHS, if I were you.[8D]

See highlighted portion of your quote above.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 PM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

Have any of the reader of this thread converted <not much to convert!> the Escapade to electric? I'm looking at the Scorpion 4020-12 motor on 6S. Figure a honest 1400 watts behind a 13" prop <will it even have prop clearance for something that big?>

Also would it not be a quick fix for the elevator to forget about the joiner and just install a 2nd pushrod, connect it to the other side of the elevator, and join them together?

Thanks guys.

Tommy D
Old 09-22-2009, 06:46 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also would it not be a quick fix for the elevator to forget about the joiner and just install a 2nd pushrod, connect it to the other side of the elevator, and join them together?
I would think it would be easier just to drop some thin ca into the joiner holes. I did that and have been flying all summer without any problems.

Bruce
Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
hairy46

So Paul how did you and Buster fair on the maiden of the Escapade? Have been waiting to hear! Wow for a hundred bucks it is a good one! Did you let Buster fly it? I got an old dog that goes with me to the field everytime I go out, they call her the greeter! She loves people and gets excited when the plane's take off.

Want to keep from crashing? Take off and land higher!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

HI Bruce

Your method is much easier then what I described <and I think it's also what Great Planes advises you do>. However 3 of these models have crashed due to failure of the elevator at my club field. That was after doing exactly as you suggested.

I think Ill try my way and report back.

Tommy
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM
hairy46

Geez, I just had got done with this escapade and moving the battery all the way forward, I still had to add 5 oz of weights to the nose! Anyone else had to add that much weight to get it to balance out? Seems like allot for a such a small plane with a OS AX 46. Without moving the battery from its suggested place I was looking at 8 os! Maybe be better to move the motor out some?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

I put the battery next to the fuel tank on the wife's plane and it required no additional weight. It has a OS 46FX but I doubt there's much weight difference from an AX.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 PM
hairy46

Thanks Old Vet, I put the battery under the tank in the small space under the take flat and then had to add an additional 5 oz to balance it, I kept on wondering if the CG was right on the plane! Did you mount the engine where it said to? Bob
Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 AM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

I mounted the engine where it called for. Basically I assembled it per the instructions without any modifications and moved the battery forward next to the tank so it would balance without extra weight. I've flown the plane a good bit as has the wife and the cg is fine. I have had 0 problems with the plane.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Thanks Old Vet, I put the battery under the tank in the small space under the take flat and then had to add an additional 5 oz to balance it, I kept on wondering if the CG was right on the plane! Did you mount the engine where it said to? Bob
Something does not sound right. I have a Magnum 46 XLS which weights to same as an OX 56 AX and placed the battery on top of the fuel tank to get to balance right on the recomended CG location. I monted the engine per instructions. You must have one that was built late Friday or early Monday . Did you attach the tail with epoxy? That could add significant weight to the tail. I attached to tail with just the bolts and have had no problem.

Bruce
Old 09-23-2009, 11:06 AM
flynte

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Geez, I just had got done with this escapade and moving the battery all the way forward, I still had to add 5 oz of weights to the nose! Anyone else had to add that much weight to get it to balance out? Seems like allot for a such a small plane with a OS AX 46. Without moving the battery from its suggested place I was looking at 8 os! Maybe be better to move the motor out some?

I have the 46AX on mine and had only needed 3/4oz on the firewall. 5oz seems quite a bit. ????

flynte

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.