Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 PM
prelude92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

As a guy who would like to move on to his second plane (badly!), what other planes would all of your recommend? I'm looking for something with similar flying charactertistics of that of the Escapade, except one with out all of the issues that this thread has identifed. I simply want to fly, and not deal with so much hassle. I have to admit, I lack building experience, but I'd like to rely on something thats tried and true. Thanks againg for your attention.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:12 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

The Escapade has NO Issues. If assembled per the directions and Tech notice it is a great plane. As best as I am able to surmise the people who think the plane needs modifications either do not understand the value of a light aircraft, or overpower or exceed the airframes design, or are just hard on the plane due to a lack of experience.Assemble itas designed and you will not have any Issues.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
tms96460

As said previously this plane does not need to be modded! Does not need any alterations (tailgear or main landing gear). Just fly it and have a blast. Put a O.S. 46ax in it, no added weight is needed.If you have problems with the landings work on the AOA with an instructor. For a hundred dollar airplane this thing is well built.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AS all have stated above, this airframe has no vices.

I never did bother to reinforce the tailfeathers It never fell offm but then I don't fly kamikaze.
its a very good quality ARF at a very affordable price.
It likes some power on landing but it can be floated to the ground as well.

If the pilotis not comforatble landing an Escapade then most likely they left their trainer behind too early
Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: prelude92

Thanks, Hsukaria. How long ago did you purchase yours? Just wondering if perhaps you got an improved model.

jc
I purchased my first Escapade 2 years ago approx. when they first came out, before Tower Hobbies even listed them. The only issue I had with that original one was the covering was wrinkled a bit. I fixed that with a heat gun. I replaced the original one when I crashed it due to a dumb mistake I made. The replacement had no issues. I re-used the wings and tail from the original. I did not glue the tail in anticipation of crashing and needing to replace parts. Just make sure you use the lockwashers and thread locking compound. I glued the wing halves together with 30-minute epoxy. Everything else I left stock. But beefing up the landing gear block might be a good idea if you think you will be having some hard landings. The original wheels are very good. The Escapade main wheels are 3", whereas most 40 size planes have 2 1/2", that helps a lot on the grass. I kept the tailwheel, but I am contemplating replacing it with a Sullivan, but not sure I really need to.

I did my last flight of the season yesterday with my Escapade. I got only one flight due to changing weather. It was a beautiful flight, the landings were perfectly smooth since the wing loading on this plane is just right, not too light for windy conditions, not too heavy to make landings difficult.

With a Super Tigre 51, I did not have to add any balancing weights either.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 AM
hsukaria

As a guy who would like to move on to his second plane (badly!), what other planes would all of your recommend? I'm looking for something with similar flying charactertistics of that of the Escapade, except one with out all of the issues that this thread has identifed. I simply want to fly, and not deal with so much hassle. I have to admit, I lack building experience, but I'd like to rely on something thats tried and true. Thanks againg for your attention.
There are plenty of choices out there for second planes, but I think the Escapade is the most value for the $$$. Gives great flights, and is very complete, the ARF even includes the zip ties, velcro strips, foam rubber, assembled fuel tank, installed engine mount, included electric mount, control surfaces installed and control horns installed, pilot figure, wheel pants, large wheels, all for only $100/110. Plus is flies great.

Some of the issues you read about with problems had to do with guys doing power dives with it and breaking the elevator joiner (which I hear has been beefed up by Great Planes). Power dives are not recommended for any airplane, including the Escapade. Maybe some racing planes can take power dives, but for general flying, that is not good practice.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 AM
hsukaria

There are plenty of choices out there for second planes, but I think the Escapade is the most value for the $$$. Gives great flights, and is very complete, the ARF even includes the zip ties, velcro strips, foam rubber, assembled fuel tank, installed engine mount, included electric mount, control surfaces installed and control horns installed, pilot figure, wheel pants, large wheels, all for only $100/110. Plus is flies great.

Some of the issues you read about with problems had to do with guys doing power dives with it and breaking the elevator joiner (which I hear has been beefed up by Great Planes). Power dives are not recommended for any airplane, including the Escapade. Maybe some racing planes can take power dives, but for general flying, that is not good practice.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

A Stik is a great 2nd plane! They are allot of fun fly great and land slow! Good luck with your choice!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: hairy46

A Stik is a great 2nd plane! They are allot of fun fly great and land slow! Good luck with your choice!
I had a small electric foamy stik, it was a lot of fun. The roll rate might by higher because of no dihedral? But I do think that is something I will get to replace any existing model that might meet its demise (not planning on it, but you know IT happens).
Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 AM
prelude92

Thank you very much, gentlemen. I really appreciate your insight; it's helped me in my decision. I shall get one! 
Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 PM
oldvet70

prelude92

You won't regret it !
Old 11-23-2010, 06:36 PM
frivera12

Escapade all the way and not looking back...........
Old 11-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Bladebuster

I've been thinking about getting the escapade with as os 46ax. But, recently, i thought about maybe putting in a 4 stroke instead of 2s. Either the Magnum xl52rfs, or the xl70rfs. Now i never ran a 4 stroke engine before, and was wondering if operating a 4s is more difficult. Also which Magnum would be better. Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 09:51 PM
oldvet70

The 52 will fly it just fine. Four strokes are not any harder to operate. Just read and follow the instructions that come with the engine and you will be fine.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:16 PM
frivera12

I was doing some aileron rolls today with the Escapade and suddenly it became a convertible model. The canopy fell off. Tommorow I will search for it if not I'll have to order one.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:41 PM
tms96460

Ah bummer.Fortunately I havn't had this happen to me but could I am sure. Good luck with the find, tomarrow should be a good fly day here so me an the escapade and rv-4 should make it out for some fun.

Tim
Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I built mine, there was an Assembly Manual addendum where they wanted you to put 2-3 layers of foam tape on the front of the cowl to act as a 'spring' to keep the cowl in place. I wonder if yours didn't have that addendum,

On another note, I cracked mine up on the maiden... My fault. It got into the air once but the throws were a little touchy. So, I brought it back down and readjusted them a bit. On the next takeoff, just as she was getting 'light' on the wheels and I was about to give a little 'up' elevator, she hit a divot and cartwheeled. The fuse broke right across the firewall former. No easy way to fix that without making it look ugly.

She had some nice spirit with that Axi 4120 and the 4S 4200 mAh battery. Can't wait to get her into the air again...

Bob
Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 PM
frivera12

The plane was assembled as per the manual, it had the foam tape in place at the time of separation. What I think what happened was that the canopy was not making solid contact with the magnets. I looked for it today with no luck. I'll order a new one andput some type of tape or velcro at the top so it doesn't fall again.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:38 PM
dschroeder
My Feedback: (40)

what do you all think of either a 46LA or a Evolution 36 in this plane? i have both of them laying around, figured it'd make a good match.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 PM
hairy46

I just put a couple of pieces of clear tape on mine when I flew it, Never lost it!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
frivera12

I'm looking for anyone with a canopy for the Escapade who is not using it(crashed airplane etc). No store has them and they are going to be received by late December or January. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am guessing that the 46LA with a 11x6 prop would be fine for this.

Bob
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
hairy46

Sorry mine was totaled in the crash! Tail section survived however!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Bladebuster

Oldvet
Does the XL52 have similar power to the OS46AX. Or would the XL70 be a better choice. I ask because my friend has the OS46AX in his escapade, and the power of that engine, seems to be just about right. I would go with the OS, but i want to try something different.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
oldvet70

Bladebuster,
The 70 gives you an engine similar to your friends 46AX but the 52 will fly it fine. My wife has one with a 46FX and I put one together for an older fellow with an OS 25FX, it flew just fine and at a speed he prefers. Someone on here has one with an Irvine 36, which would be similar to the 52 and he says the 36 is plenty of engine. Like I said the 70 will be more like the 46 of your friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.