Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Bladebuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Thanks Oldvet. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 AM
MikeMc

Here's mine. OS46AX with APC 10.5x6 prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38399.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	1532545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74934.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	1532546  
Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 PM
hairlesshippy
My Feedback: (1)

My new Escapade Build Video

Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2OmMcNE-mo

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2OmMcNE-mo[/youtube]
Old 12-11-2010, 07:17 PM
tms96460

Great job on the video! Nice camera.
How about a vid of the plane in the air.

Tim
Suisun, CA
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 AM
hairlesshippy

We may have to wait until the spring for the maiden flight.. Very cold and windy in the northeast right now.

I am glad you like the video!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 AM
hairy46

Great video, But I was wondering how the CG was on the plane? Mine came out very tail heavy, I had to move everything forward put the battery as far forward under the fuel tank, and still had to add 5 1/2 oz to balance! I did not use the cowling! But the plane flew like a brick with wings! When it dead sticked it did not float and it was a total lost! So I was just wondering about your CG with the cowling? thanks Bob
Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 AM
billmay

Finally got in a successful maiden flight with Escapade#2.Yes,I'm already on Escapade #2 and I haven't even reported on #1 yet.Here's what happened.

#! - Got it completed successfully a couple of weeks ago and appreciate the advice I got from this forum.Built it according to the manual with the exception of a little extra epoxy and reinforcement in the landing gear box area and I did install a Sullivan tail assembly (the 5-12 lb. plane version) with a 1" tail wheel. I learned to fly planes on a 48" foam plane(a kit that my club sells) so this was my first conventional balsa plane and I was pretty nervous soI enlisted the help of the most experienced pilot in my club (73 years old....been flying for 60+ years....everything including electric and nitro planes and helicopters).So he actually maidened it for me and we made some small trim and control travel adjustments.He took it off again and then handed it to me and I flew a few figure 8's and then tried my first landing. The approach wasn't too bad but it was drifting toward the far side of the field and I tried to go around a little too late and dumped it in some small trees/large brush.Damage wasn't too bad (some cracks in the electric motor motor and a few tears in the polyester film. I had it repaired in a couple of days. Went out a week later on my own. First takeoff f went well and again flew some figure 8's.Was thinking about getting ready to land when Ilost radio communications with the plane and it went down in some woods and was a total loss except for the RXand the servos (which all worked after I got home). I'm pretty sure that this was likely a failure of the BECthat was built into the ESCIwas using. BTW, I was using a Turnigy 42-50 650 KV motor with a 13 X 6.5 APC electric prop, , Mystery 85A ESC with built-in SBECrated at 4A @ 5.5V, 3300 6Sbattery, 3 X Futaba S3004 servos, and a Spektrum DX6i with a AR6200 dual receiver RX.I was really disappointed that I lost the plane but I went ahead and ordered another Escapade.

#2 - Went out with the same guy yesterday with the placement plane. I have a second DX6i which I used with a new AR7000 RX. Ialso used a HobbyWing 80AOPTOESCalong with a separate HobbyWing 5A (7.5Aburst) BEC. My original setup generated 1200W @WOT and was actually too much power for a newer pilot soI went with a 4000 5S battery this time. This weighs the same as the smaller capacity 6S and gave 850W @WOT on my wattmeter using the same prop as on the #1 plane. I made some CoG adjustments based on the couple of short flights with the #1 plane and this time the plane needed NOTRIMof any kind. After Bob did a short maiden for me Itook it up, flew it around a bit and managed to land. I was kind of off to the far side again but there was no damage.Managed to to do two more takeoffs and landings and decided to call it a successful day while the plane was still in one piece.The weather is really turning now here InPAso there may not be many more flying days this season but at least I'll be able to go through the winter knowing that I can at least land it (even though I need a lot more practice. The 5S battery was still quite powerful (didn't need full throttle to take off and could still fly easily at half stick).

I'm obviously new at this so I won't presume to suggest what other people should do but I'm convinced that the recommended CoG of 63mm is too far forward. Even with the heavy batteries I am using,I had to add about 5 oz. of lead to the motor mount to get the recommended CoG for plane #1 and it was definitely nose heavy.Bob checked out plane #1 inverted and it also definitely dropped like a rock when throttle was cut for landing. Plane #2 came out at ~70 mm CoG with no extra weight added (it did have a little more weight on its own because of the separate BEC). That's how we flew it yesterday and it required no elevator trim at all. Even for a novice like me, the landings were much easier than I expected based on some of the online forum comments I've read.While I wouldn't say that it floated in(like the foam planes), you could cut throttle completely and it gave a nice gradual descent with no problem flaring it for touchdown. I'm sure that Great Planes is trying to err on the nose heavy side with its recommendation. However, if you find that it drops a lot when you cut throttle and have to power it in for a landing thenI wouldn't hesitate to move that CoG back to around 70mm and I think you'll find that it gives you a much easier time on landing.

Anyway, that's my long winded tale of woe and then some success. I am looking forward to getting some more flying in with theEscapade when the weather allows.I've included a photo of the plane.

Bill

Name:	Qo40239.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	1533271  
Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must admit Iam not a huge fan of electrics but the cowl on these planes is really sweet(dont get me wrong, I do own some small electrics and I like them so please dont bash me). Wonder how much of my Irvine 36 Icould cover up with one? It isnt a very big engine after all. Maybe at a 90% mounting? Hmmmm.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:59 AM
hairy46

I am like you really can not get into electric! I think if I was to use the cowling on the plane I would invert the engine and use a inverted muffler! that way would not have the engine sticking up out of the cowling! I like the engine hid in the cowling as much a possible!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:26 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear you, Billmay. Read my post 1367 on the page before this one... A bit of tough luck on my maiden... Replacement Fuse will be in after Christmas (I hope)

Bob
Old 12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
frivera12

Still waiting for the canopy here.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
billmay

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I hear you, Billmay. Read my post 1367 on the page before this one... A bit of tough luck on my maiden... Replacement Fuse will be in after Christmas (I hope)

Bob
The dumb thumbs on the maiden I can live with but the loss of radio control on the second flight was REALLYdisappointing. I think I'll be in good shape with the separate BECthough (they seem to be a"must" for 2.4 GHz systems....at leastSpektrum's). I always used separate BEC's on my helicopters and never had anRF problem so I don't know why I didn't stick with them when I started on airplanes. Another costly lesson learned.....but, hey, that's what mistakes are for.

Bill

Old 12-13-2010, 08:46 PM
TruBlu02

Finally got mine assembled. I decided I needed to purchase my own Christmas present this year : ) Nothing special in the build. I am using a OS 55AX with a evolution 11x6 pro that I had sitting around for power. As for electronics I am using all futaba gear; S3004 Servos all around with a FUtaba FASST Rx. Using a 6v Tenergy NiMH Pack. Hope to maiden this weekend. Looks like a fun plane!

Merry Christmas to me!!

Name:	Rp42315.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	1534003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78851.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	1534004  
Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 PM
hairy46

Great let us know how it does! How was the CG on the plane?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are going to love it. Just dont do any power dives .
Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TruBlu02

the first picture with the Christmas Tree is very very nice!

Well done..
Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 PM
TruBlu02

Kostas1,

Thanks! I kinda like that one myself. One of my favrite things about being an adult is being able to buy Christmas presents year round! My kid is just dying to know what he got for Christmas but he has to wait!

Hairy46,

I roughly checked the CG last night and I am about 2.5 inches back from the leading edge maybe a hair more. I really haven't had a chance to play around with the balance yet. I tend to prefer models be in the more aft region of the CG range or more anyways. I dont mind then being a little on the unstable side.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 AM
TimBle

BIllMay,

I'm glad you found the Escapade to be a great flyer with the CoG at 70mm.

Before I lost mine, the CoG was also back at 70mm already and I still felt it could further back. Agree totaly that 63mm is way too far forward, even for a 2nd plane.

I replaced mine with a Sportman Aviation FW190 .40 which I hope to complete this weekend and hopefully maiden if I get all the scale details fitted in time. Time for another thread...
Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 PM
TruBlu02

Well I finally got maiden the Escapade today. What a cool little plane this is! I bought it originally for a laid back sport plane as sub for my 3D planes. Now I see why some many people love this little plane. It hauls butt with the 55AX in it and is a very solid flyer. I did notice the tail wag that I have read about here but it is no big deal. One thing I noticed right away is that the CG reccomended by GP is way to conservative. In fact I think think it is almost dagerously to far forward. Dangerous for the intermediate flyer that is. With power off the nose falls fast! I am used to 3D planes that will float more with there rearward CG's. It wasn't really any big deal though as I had lots of room to get it slowed down to land. I will probably move the CG back some. Other than the tail wheel falling off after the first 3 feet of taxing it is ready to go for the next flight!

I took some pics on my Cell phone. One is of my 3 year old son and the other is a pic he took of me.

Name:	Fd92578.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	1535047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38820.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	1535048  
Old 12-17-2010, 08:41 AM
bicyclemonkey
My Feedback: (7)

Dude, is it still shorts/t-shirt/flip-flops weather in Corpus Christi?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 AM
TruBlu02

ORIGINAL: bicyclemonkey
Dude, is it still shorts/t-shirt/flip-flops weather in Corpus Christi?
Heck yeah it was 80 Deg yesterday and beautiful! A little cooler today but for the most part this has been the longest fall ever!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:17 AM
billmay

ORIGINAL: TimBle

BIllMay,

I'm glad you found the Escapade to be a great flyer with the CoG at 70mm.

Before I lost mine, the CoG was also back at 70mm already and I still felt it could further back. Agree totaly that 63mm is way too far forward, even for a 2nd plane.

I replaced mine with a Sportman Aviation FW190 .40 which I hope to complete this weekend and hopefully maiden if I get all the scale details fitted in time. Time for another thread...
Let us know in what forum you'll be posting your results. Thanks.

Bill

Old 12-18-2010, 12:58 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, and your co-pilot DEFINITELY has a look that means business... Great photo!!

Bob
Old 12-19-2010, 03:46 AM
hairlesshippy

I just got done building the Escapade and its time for CG'ing. Put her up on the great planes CG machine at 63mm and she seems real tail heavy. I then saw the comment on the 70mm being better which make the plane still tail heavy but not as bad as 63mm. I will need to add weight to the front either way but want to know where I should mark CG?

Would the 70mm CG be better for a novice? I would rather have something that had a lower tip stall speed than something that dropped like a rock! am I a saying this right?

also, whats the best way to add weight? just stick some lead to the front of the plane somewhere? I saw at my LHS strips with adhesive on one side. Is that good?

Also balancing the prop. I have used in the past, some spraypaint to balance. seemed easy but leaves the prop with a color on the prop thatdoesn'tbelong. I mean I could use clear.. what do you think?

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM
landeck

I balanced mine where the instructions say and it has been flying fine for 2 years. To get CG where the instructions say, I had to move the battery to the top of the fuel tank. You can also move the engine forward some. If you do have to use weights, use the stick on type and mount them on the engine mount as far forward as you can. Then put a screw through them into the mount.

Bruce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.