Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

ORIGINAL: mschulz531

I'm not retired either, and I still have young kids...but I find time to build (I have ARFs as well) during inclement weather or late at night to unwind from the day. You are correct when you say that it takes a certain amount of resolve to maiden a plane that you have taken so much time to build. I just wonder sometimes if the amount of time spent ''putting together'' and ''strengthening/modifying'' an ARF ends up making the time difference between an ARF and a kit less than most people think.
I have to agree with you about the time spent on correcting bad ARF construction. Good ARF's from reputable companies like the Escapade take very little time to get flight-worthy. But I have had an ARF (not from Great Planes) that took several attempts to get it correct and finally I retired it and use it as static display. Other ARFs that I bought cheap already "assembled" were so badly put together that I had to rebuild parts of them, stripping covering off to repair bad structure, replacing engines, servos, pushrods, etc.... They were a lot of work, possibly as much as a kit. And in the end, they ended up in the trash because they were not worth all the time to keep them going.

I learned my lesson. Only good quality ARFs!!!! Same goes for engines and hardware.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I balanced my Escapade it was dead on per the manual without additional weight. I had the receiver and the battery above the platform that mounts the servos for the elevator and rudder because I used the single servo aileron setup and I did not want the battery by the fuel tank. After several flights I added a small amount of weight (1/2-3/4oz) to the tail because the plane was landing a little hotter than I like. After that, the plane flew great until my assembly mistake caught up with me. I am using an OS46FX for power and it seems like a perfect fit for this plane.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM
DIVERHERB

I put 2 1/2 oz in the nose of my Escapade to get it to balance as the plans indicated. On the first flights it was landing pretty fast but flew well. I began removing the weight on the next flights and as I did it did the landings became easier and slower until I actually had it tail heavy by the indicated C.G. on the plans. It is now easier to land and it flies very well. It actually is an easy/fun plane to fly. My only issue is the tail wheel (to flimsy and bends) which I intend to change as suggested by others here.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Diverherb,

I went through the same thing as you about the nose weights. I had 9 ounces on my nose. And now I just replaced the tail wheel with a Sullivan tail wheel for a 60. The kit does not come with the wheel, you have to buy it separately. Make sure the axle fit. Total cost is about $12. It fits perfectly like it was made for the plane. No more fixing wheel after each flight. I am just now starting to really like this plane. 

Harry
Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 AM
DGeorge

ORIGINAL: harryangus

Diverherb,

I went through the same thing as you about the nose weights. I had 9 ounces on my nose. And nowI just replaced the tail wheel with a Sullivan tail wheelfora 60. The kit does not come with the wheel, you have to buy it separately. Make sure the axle fit. Total cost is about $12.It fits perfectly like it was made for the plane. No more fixing wheel after each flight. I am just now starting to really like this plane.

Harry
I bought the same Sullivan tail wheel kit and the Sullivan tail wheels don't match the axel size, however the hub is aluminum and can easily be drilled out for a perfect fit without worry that it will wear out and wobble like some of the plastic hubbed wheels. I believe the 5-12lbs(.60) size tail wheel kit uses a 5/64" axel diameter. The stock GP foam/plastic tail wheel does fit the Sullivan kit if you wish to use it.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 AM
hookedonrc

Whew Just completed reading this entire thread as I am in the process of assembling my new Escapade. It took me days of a few minutes here and there when I could steal the time. Anyway, I plan to report on my experience with the plane since I got it only 3 weeks ago...so I am hopeful that some of the issues with loose rudders, and poorly glued elevator rods have been ironed out. However, I have done has others, wicked in thin CA in the elevator rods, added a few drops of CA to the hinges, and other things that I will write about later.

My main reason for adding this post is that the primary issue with this plane seems to be the CG. It has been discussed more than any other plane that I remember and there are plenty of examples of pilots that have removed nose weight in order to get the plane to fly better. So here's a thought that came to me as I read post after post on the CG...

What if..... somehere... in the original documents or design.... the 63 MM CG was supposed to be 68.. you know 3 and 8 are very close to looking alike. Even at 68 the CG would be in the range that is indicated in the manual. I seem to remember someone told me that that the original Donkey Kong video game was supposed to be Monkey Kong, but it was translated incorrectly and Donkey Kong stuck. Anyway, I plan to balance at 68 and go from there. (No this is not a recommendation to anyone for who this is your first or second plane. It is just my plan.) From what I have read, I should not have any surprises... but you never know.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 AM
markhamregular

Hook,

I think the plane has been around for some time, and if a typo was the issue, it would have been so simple to add an addendum to the manual on new planes. That's the least a manufacturer can do.
Anyway, if I were you, I would not add weights in front unless it is very tail heavy.
Then install your battery on top of the gas tank. This also help.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 AM
hookedonrc

Thanks Harry, that's what I plan to do. I am using a 5 cell NIMH for a 6v pack, so it will give me a good amt of weight to start.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM
DIVERHERB

Most of the issues that most have had with this plan I have not seen with mine. The control surfaces, hinges and tail assembly all are okay on mine. like I posted the only 2 things that Ihave found that needed attention was the tail wheel (which I intend to rectify this weekend) and the proper c.g. location. Other than those 2 items I really enjoy flying this plane.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
oldtyme

Well..........like I have stated in my prior posts.........this is my second Escapade and with the OS46FX and the single servo setup and the battery and receiver behind the fuel tank compartment (only a 750mah 4 cell battery which is more than adequate for this plane) it balances perfectly at the CG suggested in the assembly manual. I even called Hobbico support and they verified that that was correct. As I have also stated in my prior posts.......I added 1/2-3/4oz to the tail to tame the landing characteristics of the plane. I can't understand the need to add nose weight..........[] as I have had to add slight amounts of tail weight after the plane balanced perfectly without weight and this is the second one to do so for me.
Cheers,
Andy
Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM
markhamregular

Andy,

Maybe your Escapade was constructed in the US or Germany. You are one of the few lucky ones.
Mine was made in Vietnam.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 AM
oldtyme

Andy,

Maybe your Escapade was constructed in the US or Germany. You are one of the few lucky ones.

Twice?????
Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Andy,

Twice?????
It's a Global economy, you know. My Escapade balanced perfectly out of the box, musta been made in the USA if it is that perfect.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 PM
DGeorge

I receieved my replacement wing from GP today only to find that the tip just on the outside of the aileron is busted on both halves. Now I have 2 complete wings and only half of one is good. Boy this has been an unpleasant experience.

I've had my Escapade completed minus a wing for almost 2 weeks, and the way it's looking it will be another 2 weeks at the least. Cardboard and duct tape is beginning to sound quite tempting, haha.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: DGeorge

I receieved my replacement wing from GP today only to find that the tip just on the outside of the aileron is busted on both halves. Now I have 2 complete wings and only half of one is good. Boy this has been an unpleasant experience.

I've had my Escapade completed minus a wing for almost 2 weeks, and the way it's looking it will be another 2 weeks at the least. Cardboard and duct tape is beginning to sound quite tempting, haha.
Bummer!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 PM
DGeorge

I'm actually still awaiting a reply to my e-mail I sent after discovering my busted replacement wing. I'm not sure what to expect from them at this point. The wingwas likely damaged during shipment from the looks of it, but I don't feel UPS is to blame because the wings were simply taped together in plastic bags and thrown into a box with foam peanuts. All it would take is one good bump against that tip of the wing to bust it unless they packed the wing to stay centered inside the box so that it never would take a direct hit if the box were dropped or something were stacked on it.

On a good note... Sunday,my father andIgot out an Alpha Model F-86 EDF that I had only flown once several years ago, and had been years before that since either of us had flown anything. We headed out to a local park for some action. We were both nervous, I took the first flight and by the time I had burned through the first LiPo the jitters were gone and it was time for some hgh speed aerobatics. We had a good time, and hopfully this little jet will continue to fill the void while I figure out what the future holds for my still unfinished Escapade.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 PM
travelbigtime
Banned

Wow cool planes. How I wish I get to ride on it. I'm pretty sure you guys travel so often. Check out this site about hotels. This will guide you to where and what hotel you go into. This is all about hotel guides. Check it out http://www.thehotelfacts.com
Old 07-07-2011, 05:40 AM
irdabrit

Whelp. I read all 64 pages and finally pulled the trigger on a Escapade and an OS 46AX ABL to power it. This will be my second aileron glow plane (previously I learnt on a Supercub DSM that I got for my 40th birthday in May). I've come a long way since then; mainly thanks to the guys at my AMA club. My first glow plane is a modified Duraplane Durastick 20 with an aileron wing. I was also given an old Great Planes Slow Poke 40 Sport, but the plane had been badly crashed and the repair didn't hold up, resulting in stab failure and an amazing recovery by our club's "hot shot" pilot who flew it back to the landing strip inverted at around 10mph. The fuse broke on landing but the wing survived.

I might still resurrect the plane at some point, but the time felt right for my first "true' aircraft. I will be building it to spec without any mods except for some triangle stock around the landing gear bay (our grass is tufty; think a dried up shallow marsh + thick patches of heather) and fuel-proofing the tank compartment.

I use a Spektrum DX6i and will be installing dual aileron servos for possible mixing when I get more proficient, but for now I'll stick to the low throws and keep the engine ticking along under full throttle for a while. 
Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: DGeorge

I'm actually still awaiting a reply to my e-mail I sent after discovering my busted replacement wing. I'm not sure what to expect from them at this point. The wing was likely damaged during shipment from the looks of it, but I don't feel UPS is to blame because the wings were simply taped together in plastic bags and thrown into a box with foam peanuts. All it would take is one good bump against that tip of the wing to bust it unless they packed the wing to stay centered inside the box so that it never would take a direct hit if the box were dropped or something were stacked on it.

On a good note... Sunday, my father and I got out an Alpha Model F-86 EDF that I had only flown once several years ago, and had been years before that since either of us had flown anything. We headed out to a local park for some action. We were both nervous, I took the first flight and by the time I had burned through the first LiPo the jitters were gone and it was time for some hgh speed aerobatics. We had a good time, and hopfully this little jet will continue to fill the void while I figure out what the future holds for my still unfinished Escapade.
I remember about 3 years ago I crashed a different plane and needed wing replacement. I ordered it through Hobby People and the wings were packaged the same way you described. I was lucky in the sense that the wings were not damaged in shipping. They are much flimsier wings than the Escapade wings. Maybe it is industry standard that the replacement parts are shipped in much less adequate packaging.
I'm sure to the seller, they ship this way all the time and when you call them with this problem, they just scratch their heads and move on.[]

Maybe you have call them again and keep calling them about it until they get it right.[:@]
Old 07-07-2011, 05:35 PM
frivera12

I'm thinking of building another Escapade. Ihave a 55AX and a 52 magnum fs available for it. Will the 52 magnum be enough for this airplane? The OS70 that i had before was a blast on the Escapade but now is powering a Great Planes Extra300SP.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: frivera12

I'm thinking of building another Escapade. I have a 55AX and a 52 magnum fs available for it. Will the 52 magnum be enough for this airplane? The OS 70 that i had before was a blast on the Escapade but now is powering a Great Planes Extra 300SP.
Just my opinion, but to me, the Escapade seems better with a 2-stroke. Higher top end, and don't need the lower end torque. JMO.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
irdabrit

Got mine via UPS today. Wing tabs are broken on the right hand wing. Called Tower and they're sending out a new set of wings, but they won't be able to ship till next week. Total bummer. Looks like the prop balancer I bought from them was crushed as well so I will have to replace that.

Not too happy at this point but not much I can do about it. I guess I could try to repair the tabs with epoxy and maybe some glass matting, but I would never trust them. I also had a brain fart and ordered the "bulk" servos and they didn't come with any mounting hardware or horns. Will have to pick some up tomorrow at the LHS.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM
frivera12

I ordered a new Escapade. What isthe projected top speedfor theEscapade witha 52 magnum rfs? what about a 40-46 bb 2 stroke?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Bogun

I have a Saito FA-72 4-Stroke on my Escapade (the 40 size ARF). Started with a 12-3 APC prop, and it was too slow. I am flying in Denver, so the altitude does impact power and speed. I switched to a 12x8 Master Airscrew and it performs much better. Currently have approximately 25 flights on it, pleased so far. Did a few modifications that I'll talk about on future post with pictures.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Capt Cash
My Feedback: (1)

Thinking about getting the largerEscapade 61 for my son. He's moving up from an Avistar with a .46 engine that he soled on. I already have a Thunder Tiger Pro 61 engine and was thinking this would work great on this planebut after readingabout both size Escapadesit looks as if it will be on the low side of power. I have no plans to get a larger engine at the moment. My son is only 11 and does just mild aerobatics so maybe this engine is still ok?

Thing is I'm not wanting to invest a lot due to my sons skills and possible crashing at some point but I think he can handle this plane fine, he buddy boxes with me on my larger gassers often. But I'm kind of leaning toward the 40 size Escapade now and putting the Thunder Tiger 61 engine in it. Would this be a good choice or would it be overpowered and nose heavy? It should make for a much more sporty plane. I like unlimited verticle myself but then again he will be flying it mostly, not me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.