Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Made in China

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Made in China

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:46 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made in China

Has anyone ever done any business with this site madeinchina.com-I found it today and they have over 50 chinese built arf's-they look like the same models that nitro models and other suppliers are selling-I really do not want to registar in order to get a price
Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Made in China

I have never heard of them myself. I'm a little cautious about some of these sites that have what looks like clone planes of other sites. You wonder if they aren't selling rejected product from another company. Nitro has been around awhile and has a measure of support including forum access.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 PM
PLANE JIM

Sure-I would be cautious as well-but it seems to be a company trying to pool all the actual manufactures of these arfs in one site and act as a distributor for all of them-there is links on each product to the company that builds the product
Old 10-20-2008, 11:22 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I think there one of many brokers , there is a ton .
If you look around yuo will find Flymodels , CMP and other brands on variuos sites that are actually virtual show rooms .
If visiting China , many places have show rooms because
1)they dont want you to visit the factory or
2)its easier in location to the airport then the factory location
Old 10-21-2008, 02:06 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many months of flat, or less, sales is it going to take to collapse the Chinese economy?

Virtually all of their sales here in the US are accomplished via credit card. In case no one has noticed (which I sincerely doubt), the noose is about to be tightened around the US consumers' credit card using neck. Even with massive infusions of government money into banks in order to keep credit open and business running as usual.

If you really have your heart set on a Chinese ARF, you might be wise to buy it while they are still being made. Just like our economy, the Chinese economy is housed within a house of cards. Our credit cards. It may not be long until CMP and several others become a thing of the past.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 AM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is already happening.

Whilst they are not necessarily big name brands, there are 5 factories that I know about (which had a lot of their business from the bigger known brands) that have already closed their doors (In some cases, done a runner with peoples money). Orders are already down from the big names.

My prediction? - We will see a lot of "Factory seconds" for sale on the auction sites real soon.
If you are lucky enough to win one - check it real thoroughly before flying it.

Also - they tend to use other companies photos in their advertising so that isn't necessarily a guarantee of what you are getting.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 AM
grimmy55

I reckon you are all wrong most of the planes you buy from Towqer/Nitro etc etc are made in China under license I,ve had some really good flying models from China and can only praise the workmanship although I check all the glue joints have never ever had aproblem one of the best sites to deal with is Hobbycity.com ultra fast service great quality I do think you yanks are a little biased on who you buy from, try and you,ll see what I mean
Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 AM
LDM

no they are correct , this is fact
1)it use to be that 10 to15 % of China GNO went to fix the envirorment , now its 25%
2)the average worker that is contracted by a BRAND name , remember brand name isnow being required by the US company to pay over time and double time ect , especially if the goods are licensed thru a second party
3)New FDA requiroments are forceing factorys to say "forget it" I make something else or go out of business
4)quality control is killing companies many are defined as "not factory approved"
Now consider this the above info was the trend over the last 24 months before the US economy took a dive , add our lack of demand and you have a China failure and again fact , I can name the factories accross industrys that are failing .
5) there has already been major post on Horiszon prices going up , now Tower and Hobby People have not followed suit but it can all be attributed to there individual supply chain and contracts and projects in the pipeline .
6)WHile some of us think the two of the big three have not raised prices , if they take the distributor allowances away from the hobby shop they in fact got there price increase and you wont see on a direct buy from Tower or Hobby People but you would if you try to buy thru your local guy .
Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 AM
LDM

Sorry I meant to say Chinas GNP- Gross National Product not GNO
Old 10-21-2008, 06:00 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: LDM

no they are correct , this is fact
1)it use to be that 10 to15 % of China GNO went to fix the envirorment , now its 25%
2)the average worker that is contracted by a BRAND name , remember brand name isnow being required by the US company to pay over time and double time ect , especially if the goods are licensed thru a second party
3)New FDA requiroments are forceing factorys to say "forget it" I make something else or go out of business
4)quality control is killing companies many are defined as "not factory approved"
Now consider this the above info was the trend over the last 24 months before the US economy took a dive , add our lack of demand and you have a China failure and again fact , I can name the factories accross industrys that are failing .
5) there has already been major post on Horiszon prices going up , now Tower and Hobby People have not followed suit but it can all be attributed to there individual supply chain and contracts and projects in the pipeline .
6)WHile some of us think the two of the big three have not raised prices , if they take the distributor allowances away from the hobby shop they in fact got there price increase and you wont see on a direct buy from Tower or Hobby People but you would if you try to buy thru your local guy .

Yep... everything is going up in price, except our pay checks. JMHO I would go to my LHS and ask the owner what kind of deals you can get. I always get a better deal than I would if I ordered anything online. Because I'm a good customer I usually get the dealer price... plus I don't pay for shipping due to I pick it up myself at the store.

Also, if you are a regular at your LHS like I am, you might be able to apply for store credit. I've bought a plane or chopper and I didn't have the money that week, the owner of the LHS would put what I owed on the computer as store credit and every week I would drop $40-$100 a week until it was paid up. My son was born 4 months ago and if you have kids you live on a budget. This is a way Marty helps keep me in this hobby.

Money is tight for most people... I agree to what has been written so far. Be careful in what you buy, and if you have second thoughts about a ARF... it's best not to buy it. It is true that if you buy cheap you will get cheap in this hobby. Make sure you can buy parts for your planes and that the dealers have good product support.

Great Planes, Tower Hobbies, Horizon, KMP, Kyosho and Balsa USA are great for product and Tech support. I'd stick with them rather play around with CMP.

From my experiance and a few others from my club... I highly suggest to stay away from them. It takes a lot of unnessesary work to make any of there products fly or look right for a ARF. Plus you can't use there stock hardware... very cheap. You're better off to stay away from CMP... Nitroplanes, or what ever they call themselves these days.

JMHO from my past building experiances.

Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II
Radio Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of RedNeck R/C- Fulton, NY

Old 10-21-2008, 09:07 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: grimmy55

I reckon you are all wrong most of the planes you buy from Towqer/Nitro etc etc are made in China under license I,ve had some really good flying models from China and can only praise the workmanship although I check all the glue joints have never ever had aproblem one of the best sites to deal with is Hobbycity.com ultra fast service great quality I do think you yanks are a little biased on who you buy from, try and you,ll see what I mean
I have been in this RC hobby for almost 40 years. I've seen the ARF area from it's beginning till present. Even some of the ARFs first built in this country were not worth buying IMO, and many ARFs produced in China and other places were even worse. Cheap no-name covering, hot glued together, soft metal, cheap weak hardware, very poor fiberglass and awful paint, deformed clear plastic, and on and on. They have gotten much better in general, and some are simply amazing. But there still seams to be some producers that do no R&D and just dump planes on the US and other markets. These planes may look good on the outside (they all have learned how to cover) but are flawed in design and construction. Even with the better ARFs we can expect to be repairing them in far less than 100 flights. I have kit built planes, that I built 20 years or more ago, that require nothing but normal fuel line replacement and such. I'm not bias at all. I just know what I'm looking at.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:13 PM
LDM

Well there is very well documented building vs Arfs threads all over RCU and I dont think anyone will argue with you , congrats just like all the other builders who come out to tell everyone that building an RC plane is better then an ARF we know . ANd many of us do so much to the arfs that we build , that I lose sight of the line on why I buy the arf to begin with lol , I am bashing an FW190 , its a total rebuilt because I enjoy to do so .
Arfs from over in China will continue to grow say what you want , but the poor guys on RCU who build great planes from scratch or kits dont get there money back in the end not because the planes are not worth the price and more but because the typical RC guy wants gold and the price of copper , its that simple .
There is no question that arfs have come to the next generation , the Top Flight P51 is an outstanding example , many good builders can not build a plane this good and for the cost .
The current gold edition kits sells for $179 for a box of wood , the new AT6 Yexan is $279 , so Top Flight/GreatPLanes/Tower is showing the RC world that for a $100, more we can built it , cover it , give you retracts , good hardware ect for way less then you can build our gold edition kits .
Top Flight held out a long time on making there gold editions kits into arfs , but getting your but kicked by Horison on warbirds in the same size is a telling tale to get moveing or continue to lose sales .
ARfs are hear to stay and many builders who love to build like me , will continue to buy arfs and make them my own .

As far as CMP quality , its come a long way , you need to know that your not getting perefection for $229 and under on a 73" warbird , you wont get good hardware and you wont get great paint , but you will get a shell that is ready to be made into great flying planes for much less then a full kit build.

As far as the local shop , the only way to survive is to change , and know when you change to your customers demand .
Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM
ram3500-RCU

Well said LDM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 PM
PLANE JIM

I GUESS NO ONE HAS DONE BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY BEFORE-SO MUCH FOR STAYING ON TOPIC-
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 PM
LDM

Thanks Ram
Jim sorry , I thought it was virtullay answered by telling you that there probably a distributor , if your going to take a chance you need to make sure you get a good price , otherwise the risk is not worth it .
Old 10-23-2008, 10:51 PM
grimmy55

I think a few of you blokes are talking through a hole in your head most of the stuff you buy electronics (pioneer) nokia ,motorola ,etc is all Chinese ,your servos all come form China Futaba is made in China so is J R Magnum and super Tiger are now build in China the P51 petite is Chinese I have a super stunt plane (chinese)come on now you either buying crap I used to be a flower grower and employed of the internet the best and hardest workers were all Asians ,we had couples and singles from N Y MN Calefornia Texas I,d put the Asains far ahead of them they never complained they got stuck in and did great work and quality at that ,you people used to buy our produce Thanks very much ask your local hobby shop where he orders from and if hes honest he,ll tell you from a chinese agent be it whom ever I ve bought so much stuff in from China and can,t fault it WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES this is 2008 Moa si Tong is dead
Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

this thread was about a specific manufacturer of ARF's, not a debate on socio-economic policies and finances