Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Tango or Twist?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Tango or Twist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 AM
propboy4138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Tango or Twist?

I have been flying pattern/sport planes like the Kaos for awhile now and I'm looking to get into some "3D"/more exciting flying. The Tango and Twist have caught my eye. They both are selling for $179 so I'm looking for some insight from any owners. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:47 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: H9 Tango or Twist?

I had the 40 size Twist and now have the Tango; both are great planes; I had the Twist for years, and when it met it's demise, the Tango had just been released, and I wanted a replacement for the Twist; I might add that I used the Twist mostly for FunFlys and it worked great; the problem was that I always scuffed the wing tips trying to do some of the FunFly events, the Tango being a high wing seemed to be the answer, it also flys as great as the Twist, I can throw it around the air, does all kinds of 3D, etc; I run a Irvine 53 on it, way too much power for it, a 40 or 46 would work just as good; one thing I would suggest, replace the landing gear that comes with the Tango with 'Dubro's Super Strength Landing gear'

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNM65&P=SM

These fit perfectly and stand up to all kinds of abuse, better than the ones that come with the Tango or Twist for that matter.

Doug.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:53 AM
propboy4138

Sounds good, I was thinking an O.S. 55AX..Guess that might be too much.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 PM
grassroots

Both of the planes you are considering are NOT worth $179.99

You would be crazy to spend that kind of money on one of these.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I flew the 40 Twist for 2 years with an MDS 48, APC 12X4 prop, an excellent combination. I sold mine a little over a year ago. Should have held on to it! The OS 55 is not too much engine, just prop it right (12X4) and enjoy. Also, I would advise against loading up with heavier landing gear - keep it light. This plane just does not spend a lot of time on its landing gear!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Jim is Correct; the plane does not spend a lot of time on the ground; but the Aluminum Gear from Hanger 9 is worthless; mind you, I use my plane for Fun Flys and I have some pretty rough landings during ballon busting and spot landing events; as far as the extra weight, never noticed any difference; I flew my Tango with the gear provided and changed it to the Dubro, and yes they are a bit heavier, but I never noticed any difference to the plane, with my Irvine 53 or the OS 55, what little extra weight the Dubro gear adds would not have much affect; its your call, I know I had some less than perfect landings and the Hanger 9 Aluminum gear bent all the time; the Dubro gear can take a beating and never gets distorted; by the way, I run my Irvine with a 12X4 APC and it runs great.

As far as $179 being too much to pay, probably so, but all ARF's have gone up in price drastically, weak US dollar, etc.

Doug.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
The Toolman

Yep, I use the dubro fiberglass gear an can't tell one lick of diff flying wise. I have a TTPro.46 on mine with a 11X5 apc prop. The price has got a little steep, but I'd lot rather fly this little plane than the twist. This is about the only plane I take to the field anymore, it's a blast to fly, slow,fast,3D or circles I just love it...
Old 10-23-2008, 02:44 PM
propboy4138

I recall seeing the Tango last year and it was sub $130 maybe? My LHS had one last year for the lower price and they still have it today and I went to see if it was still the same price and instead of putting price tags on ARFs I guess they just look at the current retail price on the computer ($179) =(. But regardless I still want to get one!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
The Toolman

Yeah, they was $129.95 when I bought mine back in Dec or Jan. Wind caught mine an took it in a tree when I was trying to fly in gale force cross winds so I had to order a wing, about $50-$55. Took from Feb 20 till mid May to get it, then they sent me two of'em at the price of one. Guess that was for screwing around to long.[8D]
Old 10-24-2008, 06:46 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Hi.........I have both...............Also have a OS 55 AX on both. I like the Twist better for a several reasons. I think it flys better, easier to install the radio gear & also looks better. I am using the APC 12.25 X 3.75 3D prop on both & love this setup on both. Put both planes in front of me & I would take the Twist in a heartbeat.

One thing I would do though is to do a bit of beefing up in a few areas. One place is the is in the fuse bulkhead area where the leading edge of the wing mates the fuse. Also beef up the landing gear area.

Talk to ten people & you will get ten diff reports. Get the one you want & it don't matter what the price is if it's what you want.

Tcat
Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 AM
mcmcintyre

I have never flown a twist so I can't compare the two. That said, I own a Tango that I bought used with an OS-70 4C on the nose. It is a trip to fly. the motor spins a 14X4W and I have unlimited vertical and can climb in a flat spin. Neither the previous owner or I have had any problems with the landing gear. I fly off a paved strip and maybe thats why. The airplane has an amazing roll rate and can be thrown around without fear of it falling apart. Spot landings are a breeze (unless the breeze is more than 10 miles per hour). In anything more than about 5 miles per hour wind, I can deploy the flapperons and stand still in the air. The airplane flys inverted just fine but inverted spins and other tricks of that nature don't usually work well because of the amount of stuff hanging below the wing.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Hey Guy.......Another great bird along these lines is the H9 Ultra Stick 40. I have two of these both with a Saito 82 4C on the nose. These are one of my favorite planes. They fly like they are on a set of RR tracks! I have one bashed with a "Tri wheel setup" & the other one with the stock tailwheel. With the 82 on the nose, they don't lack for power either........Hee Hee Hee

I'm a power freak..............No comments please.............

Tcat