Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

The worst ARTF??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

The worst ARTF??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM
bencav84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The worst ARTF??

Hi fellas,

I am midway through a 'build' of a little .15 size cessna bird dog by Top Gun models, really need to let off steam!!

- The supplied engine mount wil NEVER fit a .15 - far too small, and its a wooden thing so will have to be replaced!
- Wing roots a different shape on each side - they wont line up evenly to get a noce finish when they are joined.
- Slots on the rear of the fus way to big for the stabs, leaves about a 0.5mm gap all the way around.
- Horizontal Stab way off shape, not even close to square, needs modifying or it will be as wonky as a donkeys leg when it is fitted.
-'premium hand iron covering' is like rubber, it wont cut neat, wont stay down and looks awful. Decals wont stick to it either (they come kind of applied already!!)

not happy at all. This should be a NWNRTF (no where near ready to fly!!!)

rant over, the cowel is very nice, as is the under carriage!!!
Any ideas on how to fix the baggy slots on the fus? I was thinking 0.5mm balsa sheet epoxied on to the stabs to take up the wxtra space?

BC
Old 10-24-2008, 06:36 AM
bladeskiller

Default RE: The worst ARTF??

Balsa sheet is a good idea. Also you may use thick CA glue to cover the gaps. I had a similar plane ,VMAR birddog. I had put on it an os.max .15 CV. Good power but many bad habits caused of wrapped wings. I hope your plane is going to fly better than mine.

I ended up, removing the engine and placing it on a great planes YAK-54 EP. It flies great and, the most important, it's controlable!

Kostas from Athens.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 AM
bencav84

I have a very sneaking suspicion that these panes may be built (badly) by the same people!! I looked at the inside of the fus today (toward the tail) not a single former was cut to the correct shape, and are barely glued at all!! I am thinking of giving it a go with an engine, but will be ready for the worst (I even considered filling the insides with expanding foam to add strength!!

If this goes in, my ASP.15 will be heading in the direction of a Herr little something extra!!

Sorry for sounding dumb, but are wrapped wings the same as warped?

Ben
Old 10-24-2008, 05:38 PM
bladeskiller

You are right. I mean warped. Sorry!

Kostas from Athens.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Finish the plane and hang it on the wall to adnire. I wouldn't bother flying it.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 AM
bencav84

Guess what w8ye, the plane project will remain unfinished. All the thing would have been is a very good way to ruin a new engine and a lot of radio gear! Pitty though, it looks as though it is the only ARF available!!

Ben