Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dolphin Fun Fly 50

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dolphin Fun Fly 50

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
IAMKAOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dolphin Fun Fly 50

i think that glow engine would shake that whole plane apart. those planes are built very lightly for electric motors. i don't think that plane would stand up to the stress of a glow engine.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mkn8632

All i know is that this plane need to get a bigger firewall asap.. Cause that Thunder Tiger is going to rock on that light ass plane! GET TO WORK ANDY!
I bet Andy is out in the woods chasing White-tail deer. Remember guys... I got some white Monocote for your projects. I would call Tom and see what he has for sale...but he goes to bed with the chickens. I am going to make order for some RC stuff. You and Andy can get free shipping. Take Care Capt,n
Old 11-08-2008, 11:34 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: IAMKAOS

i think that glow engine would shake that whole plane apart. those planes are built very lightly for electric motors. i don't think that plane would stand up to the stress of a glow engine.
How about a small glow engine like .25? Below is the airplane. Thanks Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57889.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1067926  
Old 11-15-2008, 10:54 PM
captinjohn

Well we are beefing up the Dolphin 50. Andy made a double fire wall from inside and a lot stronger wing hold down. Together we come up with some more mods that will make it a pretty neat flyer. I told Andy to keep the speed down and use just enough power to do the manuvers he likes. We will post some photos. We may even seal the control surface gaps! Best Regards Capt,n
Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 PM
jcmarion

This is my first post, been viewing the forum and decided to register since I need to actually ask a question.

Have you had a chance to take the Dolphin 50 out on a flight test yet? I am maybe in the process of getting this exact plane, but I would rather it not be EP. If so, did you go with the Thunder Tiger or did you use a smaller engine? I can do modifications and extra support work, thats not a problem. I just dont want to purchase and Nitro didnt work out even though I have seen numerous sites over seas that sell it stating it can be flown with a Nitro.

Hopefully you respond by tomorrow, thats when I go to get it if I decide to. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM
rcandrewD

I did put the Thunder Tiger .46 on the plane. It actually balences the plane a lot better than I thought it would. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have the plane flying. I just have a few small finishing touches to do and she will be ready for the maiden flight. I am pretty confident it is going to fly awesome. It should have more power than I will ever need with that light plane, so it should be fun. I will post on here again after I take it on the first flight. Also I attached a pic of what the plane looks like with my TT .46.

Name:	Mk27435.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1074716  
Old 11-19-2008, 11:18 PM
captinjohn

rcandrewD, That sure is a nice looking airplane. It may be just as lite as the electric version, which had a kinda big battery pac! Keep in touch. Capt,n
Old 11-20-2008, 12:32 PM
jcmarion

Are you able to take a few close up pictures? Such as the Firewall, under the canopy,etc. So I can see how much room I would have to work with and what you have done thus far? Dont want have an electric plane, so I dont want to get stuck with it.

Also, I am wondering what engine would compliment it best. Being its light weight (probably beef up the fuselage structure), not be nose heavy, aerobatic and a large wingspan. I dont want to overpower it as I have a lead finger, if you know what I need.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM
captinjohn

A OS Max .25 LA should be good! Capt,n
Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 PM
rcandrewD

Here are some more up close pictures for you. Overall with the help of my grandpa (cap,n) what I did was added an extra piece of ply to the inside of the firewall and added angle stock on that. I put an extra piece of balsa on the outside just to level it out. I did some reinforcement where the wing slips in and added a larger plastic bolt to hold the wing on and reinforced where that screws into. I added an extra piece of ply under the landing gear that extends a few inches to the front of the plane, I didnt go all the way to the front with it because I am going to make a hatch where my fuel tank is. Overall there is enough room to turn this plane to glow and with my glow engine it surprisingly balences quite well. As far as the motor size my Tunder Tiger .46 with the tuned muffler is going to more power than I will ever need for that plane, but hopefully this weekend I will be able to test her out and see. Of course if the weather cooperates. I you have any more questions just let me know and I will also let you know how the plane flys!

Name:	Ax72888.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1076493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66087.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1076494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67267.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1076495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke92184.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1076496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37864.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1076497  
Old 11-25-2008, 09:36 PM
jcmarion

Is that a Dave Brown .46-.50 engine mount you have used? Atleast that is what it looks like, I was also thinking of using the Du-bro mount. Just wondering if it is worth it. Also, what fuel tank size did you get to fit in there? I know I am asking alot of questions, I am just waiting on it to arrive. Trying to get everything in order so when it does get here I can start asembly and work. I cant find anywhere else any info to help me besides you.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:39 PM
jcmarion

Forgot to ask if you took her out this past weekend.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 PM
rcandrewD

I did get to take her up, but only for a short flight. The wind wasnt the best and my engine wasnt running the best because of the cold weather. I think I need to buy a hotter glow plug for this cold weather flying. It seemed to fly good for the most part, I had to dead stick land it and that plane just floated in. Im just waiting for a nicer day to bring it out again, its staying pretty cold and snowing lately here in MI. Its really making me anxious to get out there again and see what this thing can do!!

To answer your questions the fuel tank is a 6 ounce tank and that fits pretty good. My motor mount Im not sure what brand it actually is because it is one my grandpa had laying around and it worked with my .46 so I used it. Yeah I know what you are saying about trying to find info on these planes, its hard because not many people know about them. It was my first time hearing about this plane when I bought it. If you have any more questions let me know and let me know what you do to yours when you get it. By the way are you bying from someone or from Dolphin?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 AM
jcmarion

From someone, Dolphin hasnt responded at all to anything I have sent them. They dont show it still being produced, but Australian vendors are still selling it for over $350 ! Cant wait for it to come, my wife is getting tired of me looking at different items for it. I built from scratch a field box for it, need to take pictures of it.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 PM
jcmarion

Took me about three days to complete.Has an inside storage for battery, 1 gallon fuel container, to drawers for storing items you dont want out to lose or break. Top tray can hold anything you want. Also I made a cutout for the transmitter to stow away safely while travelling. I still have to put padding in the transmitter tray, cut my plane mounts to go on the handle, cutout a hole for the power panel and drill for fuel line delivery. Untill then, this is what I have got thus far. Total of $2 invested for hinges. The rest was scrap wood had stored away. Not bad for my first one. Hopefully I did the images correctly.

Name:	Db85477.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1079614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66370.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1079615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56931.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1079616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37084.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1079617  
Old 12-01-2008, 07:07 PM
jcmarion

My Fun Fly finally arrived, I now have work to do. Would have been nice if it came with some instructions, but I am sure I can make out. Did you build yours or did you get it completely assembled. Reason I ask is the hinges, I am not thrilled about them. They are 1/2 wide with a slot down the middle, like a dime could go through. Dont seem very strong, was thinking of replacing them with nylon hinges. What are your hinges?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
jcmarion

I have a question on the tail wheel assembly. I can see the aluminum bracket should be screwed to the bottom of the fuselage tail, the wheel shaft would run up through it and glued in the rudder slot. My problem I am having is that the rudder does not swivel on a perfect axis, so if I were to screw down the bracket it will not turn. Got a picture of yours or otherwise I will have to come up with my own solution.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:00 PM
rcandrewD

I bought my plane from a guy at a swap meet and it was already assembled. My plane does have the same hinges you described and I am not too fond of them either, I think I am going to change my hinges too sometime. With the tail wheel thing, I cant send you an up close picture right now because I left my plane at home and I am at college right now. So next time I go home I will take a picture of that and post it on here for you. Good luck getting that plane ready! Post some pics too and let me know how it goes.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
rcandrewD

Have you got your Dolphin in the air yet? I flew mine yesterday and it flies really good with that Thunder Tiger .46. It has more than enough power but I have no problem with that!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 PM
captinjohn

Hellow Andy!!! I want to get over to the grass field you fly from. Gotta see how that plane hovers. You should weigh it. I bet it is as light as the electic version! Take Care....GRAMPS
Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
captinjohn

Well I got to the field(a 40 mile drive) to see Andy fly his Dolfin Fun Fly, but a cranky senior member would not let us fly there. He could have let us fly as Guests but would not let anyone fly. Seems like it is another case where a few guys that clicked took another place away (a nice seldom used Full scale Airport) away from the ones who do not care to belong to a click run club. Any rate I told the guy to have fun flying by himself! He sure did not make it good for Young people that want to get into the hobby but cannot hardly make end meet when in collage. It was a very distasteful experience. Capt,n[>:]