Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

funtana x 50

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

funtana x 50

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
hurk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funtana x 50

Just wiped out my funtana 40 and seen a deal on a funtana x 50. Wondering if this is the updated version of the funtana 40? Looks like the same plane except for the side force generators. I have a magnum 91 four stroke to put in it ( out of the funtana 40 now). Has anyone had issues with this plane?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
opjose

Default RE: funtana x 50

Your assumptions are somewhat correct.

The airfoils are different, and the plane is slightly larger, but if you compare the two they look amazingly similiar.

I have even put Funtana 100X components on the corresponding Funtana s90 w/o modification... for instance the Funtana 100X landing gear fir the S90 perfectly and without modifications.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

There are some differences but the airfoils are the same. I think Opjose has the F50 and F100 confused. The main difference between the F40 and F50X are in the tail. The F50x elevators are a one piece unit with no joiner wire. This makes for a much more solid unit when using 3D rates. The carbon fiber tail supports are also installed better.There are some other small changes but the two planes fly pretty much the same. My F50x is lighter then the F40 I had but this could be the difference from one plane to the next. No two are going to have the same weight balsa in them.

David
Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM
opjose

Not confused, just using an analogy.

I have a friend with the older and smaller white Funtana and it is very similiar to the 50X, in the same way that my S90 is almost identical in build to the 100X...

The airfoils are NOT the same though. One of the biggest changes to the 50X and 100X versus the older S40 & S90 was that much thinner airfoils are used.

Horizon's web site backs this up.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
daveopam

opjose, I am sorry to disagree with you. However the airfoils are the same on the smaller Funtanas. The 90/100 Funtanas do have a different airfoil. The 40/50 do not. I have not looked at the web page. I own both though. The wing is the same. It attaches a little different but the shape is the same. Not trying to be difficult but I also want this prospective buyer to know what he is getting.

David
Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: daveopam

opjose, I am sorry to disagree with you.

However the airfoils are the same on the smaller Funtanas. The 90/100 Funtanas do have a different airfoil. The 40/50 do not. I have not looked at the web page. I own both though. The wing is the same. It attaches a little different but the shape is the same. Not trying to be difficult but I also want this prospective buyer to know what he is getting.

David
Actually we are saying the same thing... I think you misuderstood my post...

The airfoil on the 50X and the 100X are the same. ( of course the chord length is different because of the differing size, but this is inconsequential ).

The airfoil on the 50X is much thinner than the one used on the s40, and the airfoil used on the 100X is much thinner than the s90.

Horizon's web site actually mentions this.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM
chuck993

another advantage of the x50 is that they killed the X100 and it is hard to get any parts for it
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
daveopam

Man I hate to disagree. I don't want to sound like a stinker but..............The F40 and the F50X have the same airfoil. When the planes were both redesigned the F100X got a new airfoil. The F50X did not. I have them both in my shop. They are the same. I looked at the Horizon site. I do not see on the F50X page where it says anything about a thinner airfoil. If it does it's a mistake.

Have a great day,
david
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of you guys may have got a China made clone or the same thing produced in another facility. This is a problem with the RC stuff comming from over in China. Post some photos with a ruler showing size. You may be in for a surprize!!! Capt,n