Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM
fastflyfish
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Nevermind.

Thanks
Randy
Old 11-01-2011, 04:41 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Has anyone used a DLE 20 with this plane? I am concerned about sufficient power as it seems most folks have used at least a 26 cc engine.

Trying to choose between a Pulse 125 which is lighter by a couple of pounds and the Spacewalker 2.

Thanks-

Larry
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 AM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Take a look one page back at the post by "bikerbc". He's currently flying a SP II with a 20cc engine.
The Spacewalker II and Pulse are intended for different purposes. The Pulse is more agile. So, it depends on what you want to do with an airplane. I have a Spacewalker II on my building bench right now that's about 7/8 finished and I've installed a 26cc gas engine on it.
There's a fellow in our club who is currently flying a SP II with a 26cc and he loves it. It appears to have plenty of power.
If you want more power and speed, go with the Pulse. If you want a nice, relaxing, weekend flyer go with the Spacewalker.

RJ
Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 AM
rowdyjoe

Oh yeah. I owe you guys an update on my build progress. I decided to use the standoffs as I found them reasonably priced at TBM. Each end is threaded to accept 5mm bolts and it's quite sturdy. As I stated above, I'm very near completion ...finally. My build was interrupted when I bought a used Wild Hare Giles 202 and began flying it. I've spent most of my time flying that and hardly any time building but, I've managed to work on the SP in the last week. I need to make a final cut in the cowl for the ignition lead to the full sized spark plug, I need to install the tail wheel and elevator flying wires. And that's about it other than neatly arranging the wiring in the electronics bay. I've installed a dual battery regulator by Smart Fly and will use two 2100mah LIPO receiver batteries and a AR7000 receiver w/remote. I'll post pictures when she's done.
Thanks for all the advice and help.

RJ
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 AM
BlackPhantomDragon

ORIGINAL: phakur

Has anyone used a DLE 20 with this plane? I am concerned about sufficient power as it seems most folks have used at least a 26 cc engine.

Trying to choose between a Pulse 125 which is lighter by a couple of pounds and the Spacewalker 2.

Thanks-

Larry
[color=#0033FF]
Hi Larry
I am going to put a DLE-20 in my Seagull PT-19 2mrtre span. From what I have read the DLE-20 has as much or more power than a Satio 125 and lighter than most 26cc gas and also more power out put as well. Through in that it can be beam mounted like a normal engine and I can't see (imo) what else you would want. You can then also use a smaller tank and place it anywhere you want. I am putting a 10cc tank in mine.

Hope this helps Greg
[
/color]
Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i want the SW 120 with a DLE 30 for Christmas. please Santa ! lol !
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 PM
rowdyjoe

The only thing holding up first flight of my SP II is where to mount the choke servo. I think I've decided to mount it in the fuel tank compartment fixed to the back side of the firewall. I plan to use a high torque mini servo since it will only be on for a a minute or two when starting the engine.
I still need to cut the cowling to make room for the spark plug lead. Everything else is ready and I need to get off my duff and "get 'er done".

RJ
Old 11-18-2011, 05:26 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RJ... does your choke have a hole in it? If so, did you opt to solder it closed?

Fine business on being close to finished and wishing you a great maiden flight.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 PM
rowdyjoe

Yes, the choke flap has a hole in it but, never thought of soldering it closed. With the cowing off, I've been holding my thumb over the hole while Iflip the prop to get the carb wet. That's a good idea though. I wonder if JB weld would work OK. It would save removing the butterfly for soldering.
Ihave to admit that I'm a little nervous about flying this one. It looks so great ... I'm afraid I'll ding it up.

RJ

Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RJ... I soldered one a week ago without having to take the choke off as the butterfly section stood proud enough to use a wire brush in a dremel and clean it up both sides and solder it. Was very easy though it required pulling the engine from the firewall.

I did it after the frustration of getting the thing running otherwise... either that or mount a tube toward the intake to inject a prime. The advantage of closing the hole is that it provides a backup engine kill as my engine wouldn't kill under choke when the hole existed.

I'd think solder would be far superior to JB weld as the latter might get ingested.

As a side note... yesterday was a really fine day at our local field here in East Texas.... I'm due East of you about 140 miles. Any afternoon like that will be very suitable for a Space Walker as they are reported to be docile fliers. I've a Seagull AT-6 that is a ***** cat to fly, though a little more challenging to land than the Space Walker should be. I do have the Space Walker... but its in the box yet.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:45 PM
rowdyjoe

Ihaven't had any problem killing the engine with the choke but, I have installed a commercial "kill switch"in-line with the CDI lead and it works very well when programmed to one of the spare funciion switches on my DX7.
I haven't tried starting it without choking it but, the choke servo should eliminate the issue. If Ihave trouble getting it primed, I'll try soldering the hole.
You're right about the JB weld. Hadn't thought of that one either. That would be a dead-stick waiting to happen considering the vibration we get from the gassers.

BTW ....my engine is a 26cc GR Pro and I'm currently turning a 17X8 RCGF prop (from BPHobbies on-line). I'm told it's an SV engine (whatever that its) but, I got it at a good price ....less than $100 new including the after-market CDII bought for it. It's running nice a strong and should pull the SP II very well. I hope it proves to be durable. So far, it seems to be reliable when running on the ground. It's not broken in yet though. Ihave run less than a gallon of fuel through it and it's ready to fly. It will have to finish break-in while in the air.
Speaking of props ....I also like the Zinger Pro series. Ihave a 22X10 on my 50cc Giles 202 currently and it performs nicely with plenty of speed and pull ...and I can get them for a decent price at my LHS.

I've missed a few good flying days lately due to other commitments. I tried flying Wed. but, the north winds picked up in the afternoon and became gusty. Not much of a problem when airborne but, landings get dicey in gusts above 20mph ...even if down the runway. The terrain off the south end of our paved runway rolls a little and it causes the wind to do strange things. If you get too low on approach things can get very interesting. High approach with plenty of speed is the key but, she floats in ground effect and will use a lot of runway to slow down.

Take care and keep us posted on your build.

RJ
(N5GLR)
Old 11-19-2011, 03:49 PM
rowdyjoe

Went to the field to fly today but, the wind was terrible. White caps all over the lake was a warning to stay on the ground. I've flown my 50cc bird with a few white caps showing but, the lake reminded me of the Galveston shoreline today.
Oh well, there's always tomorrow.
We did have a couple of intrepid souls launch their smaller glow powered birds and almost didn't get them back once they flew down wind. It was a real struggle to get them back to the runway.

RJ
Old 11-27-2011, 04:22 PM
rowdyjoe

Well, she's finished ...except for CG adjustments (if needed). I'll post pictures as soon as I get the wings on her.
We'll find out tomorrow how well she flies on the 26cc gas engine and 17X8 wooden prop.

RJ
Old 11-29-2011, 03:44 PM
rowdyjoe

FINALLY !

She's all balanced and ready for flight tomorrow (Wed. 11/30). Here's the pictures Ipromised ...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41984.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1693095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95785.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1693096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23306.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1693097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56843.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1693098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51890.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1693099  
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM
SigMan

NICE !
Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 PM
rowdyjoe

We had a beautiful day for first flight of my new SPII but, couldn't get the engine to run reliably. Don't know what the problem was yet but, I think it's carb adjustment. Had to choke the devil out it to get it to pop and had success getting it started a couple of times but, it ran very rough and wouldn't accept any throttle changes at all. We know we had spark (we tested for it) so, it has to be air/fuel mixture (I think). I'll know more when I get a chance to trouble shoot.
The weather looks good tomorrow but, doubt I'll have it running any better by then. I'm shooting for a good day next week as I want to run it "on the bench"to make sure she's going to run and stay running when I get to the field.

RJ
Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM
SigMan

keep us posted Rowdy !
Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
rowdyjoe

Update:
I pulled the cowl and set all carb adjustments to factory settings (1 1/2 turns out each). Got it to pop and run a little but, ended up re-routing all fuel lines ...which helped a lot. Must have had something plugged in wrong hole (duh). It runs now after many adjustments to tune the carb. However, I'm not happy with it as it took too many turns at the high end to get it to peak. It idles but, will slowly die if Ilet it. Ithink it needs a new carb or a rebuild (even though it's a new engine). I think this one set on the shelf too long before being put to use ....or it was junk to start with.

RJ
Old 12-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RJ,

do you have a video of the test-run;
Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 PM
rowdyjoe

No. Didn't even think about it.

RJ
Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Bund34

Hi. Spacewalker 1500mm Wingspan plan drawing, in any format? Thanks for help. email: [email protected]
Old 12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
rowdyjoe

On advice from a fella who works on 2 stroke gas engines for a living, I've tightened every bolt, nut, and screw on the carb hoping to eliminate what is suspected to be an air leak. I haven't had a chance to run the engine to see if it had any affect but, if it didn't, the next step is a rebuild or replacement. Replacement would be easier and probably cheaper in the long run I think.

RJ
Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Guys-Have a couple build questions:

Using a gas engine:

Is there room for a double toggle switch with fuel dot or is the fuse set up for two slide switches only?

Do you think Hitec 645MG servos all around are OK?

Thanks-

Larry
Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM
rowdyjoe

I think there's plenty of room on either side of the fuselage for your fuel dot/switch system.

The 645MGs are a bit short on torque for this size bird. Take a look at these ....http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=F3403885
More torque, cheaper, and reliable.

RJ
Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
rowdyjoe

Engine trouble update:
Finally got around to running the engine yesterday after tightening everything. After a bit of adjustment it's running well but, it won't drop back to idle after going to full throttle for about 30 secs. When I pull the throttle back to idle, the rpm will not come down below 3300 rpm. If Iblip the throttle a couple of times the rpm will drop down to around 1800 to 2000. I can't find anything binding or sticking so, I'm assuming the carb has a problem.
The adjustments aren't right either although, it's running OK. I've opened the "high" end needle more than 1 full turn (rich)to get it to peak and closed the "low" end needle (lean) almost 1 full turn to eliminate most of the 4 stroking. The transition is fine. If it weren't for the idle problem I'd fly it like this but, half throttle landings are not good.
Looks like I'll be installing a new carb. Idon't think a rebuild is the solution.

RJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.