Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Rooster6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Sounds like a plan Kq4ra, another consideration would be to remove the wooden dowels and replace them with solid carbon rod. If the holes in the fuse sides has enlarged you could just use use a larger diameter rod, and also apply a doubling ring on the inside of the fuse with either ply or carbon sheet. By the way can you tell I love carbon.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 PM
kq4ra

Thanks rooster. The carbon rod would be a more long term fix. It would be nice to have the rod and a carbon sleeve on fuse for it to slide into. That Saito creates alot of vibration and the plane the way it is resonates pretty bad.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
futurepilot03
My Feedback: (5)

Ya definately dont want those wings wiggleing themselves lose. Has anyone else been able to find a carbon wing tube that fits for our plane?

Thanks for the other link but I cant pay shipping from australia. lol

What diameter spinners are you guys using?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Rooster6

The carbon spinner on my plane is 64mm or 2.5" in your language, sourced from hobbycity.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 AM
futurepilot03

Awesome thanks for the help. How does it attach to the plane? Do you have to cut your own prop cutouts?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Rooster6

The spinner mates up just as per a normal spinner, but it uses an adapter nut with a hex bolt down thru the centre. The same method used by Truturn spinners if you get my drift. My spinner came with the cut outs already in it but I had to adjust them to suit the profile of the prop with a dremel, but I am using a 15 x 7 E wooden prop so maybe a smaller glow prop will fit the original cutouts?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
ceecrb1

I'm not gonna bother with a carbon wing-rod... this guy can just hang onto them to stiffen them up!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41258.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1395449  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 PM
futurepilot03

AWWWW cute pic. haha looks like an actual baby, but I know people wouldnt do that cause thats just wrong. does it fly like that?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 AM
ceecrb1

I PROMISE that his bum and back were inside the fusolage and he had a cloth under him... he couldnt roll out and wasnt uncomfortable....
There was more risk that I broke the plane than him hehe
Old 03-12-2010, 11:23 AM
futurepilot03

haha seems like it
Old 03-12-2010, 03:14 PM
airborne2.4

Would an OS .61 be to heavy for the GP Extra 300?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 AM
CloudSkipper

Finally found time to get started on my GP Extra...

One of my ailerons is slightly warped. It curves up starting at about two thirds length out from fuse. At the outer tip the aileron is about 2mm up from level.

For installing with CA hinges it looks like it will be no problem. Installation should still work easily and aileron should flex easily still on hinges. To some extent the outer CA hinge may reduce the warp a bit. The trailing tip of the aileron will still of course warp upwards a bit.

Should I bother trying to un-warp this at the risk of ending up in a back-and-forth if I end up making it worse or warp another way? Can't decide. I will only have between 1 and 2 mm of upwards warp at the tip.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 09:48 AM
kq4ra

Cloud, I guess you could try heating the covering on the opposite side of the warp. If don't work I wouldn't worry about 2mm.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM
CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: kq4ra

Cloud, I guess you could try heating the covering on the opposite side of the warp. If don't work I wouldn't worry about 2mm.
Thanks for advice. I tried doing some moderate heating (erring on side of caution, but heat probably was not enough come to think of it). I did heat on both sides, but heated twice as long on the convex side. I left it overnight under soft ankle weights. Made no difference AFAIK.

I've never had to deal with a warp on a non-flat solid balsa control surface before. I've fixed warp on flat solid balsa. Seems to me like it would be barely possible to accurately get this warp out because of the shape of the piece.

OK. I'll just install it on the wing then. I'll double check for smooth pivoting before adding the CA.

Needed some help deciding from someone who has this plane. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:44 AM
kq4ra

Cloud, I would not think that 2mm would make a big difference but at high speeds it could. Maybe the plane will need trim on that surface and the 2mm will correct it. Wishful thinking. The only trim mine needed was about two clicks of up elevator but mine is a little heavy on the nose. I like my planes to have down trim versus climbing all the time. Good luck. I love mine it flies like a much bigger plane and tracks like on a rail.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 AM
obriendigital
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: kq4ra

Thanks for advice. I tried doing some moderate heating (erring on side of caution, but heat probably was not enough come to think of it). I did heat on both sides, but heated twice as long on the convex side. I left it overnight under soft ankle weights. Made no difference AFAIK.

I've never had to deal with a warp on a non-flat solid balsa control surface before. I've fixed warp on flat solid balsa. Seems to me like it would be barely possible to accurately get this warp out because of the shape of the piece.

OK. I'll just install it on the wing then. I'll double check for smooth pivoting before adding the CA.

Needed some help deciding from someone who has this plane. Thanks!
I was surprised how fast this plane flies, especially with my saito .82 in it. So, flutter could be an issue. I would see if GP would give you a new one....
Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 AM
CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: obriendigital
I was surprised how fast this plane flies, especially with my saito .82 in it. So, flutter could be an issue. I would see if GP would give you a new one....
Even if it's only about 2mm off level at the tip? With CA hinges installed could go down to 1mm.

Edit: They are sending me a new aileron They just needed my Tower invoice number. I must say that the GP customer service is very good.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 AM
kq4ra

Mighty nice of them.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 PM
ceecrb1

Ok I know this is a dumb question.... but setting the c/g in this plane..

from the manual:
"At this stage the model should be in ready-to-fl y condition
with all of the systems in place including the engine, propeller
and spinner, landing gear, and the complete radio system.
Electric-powered models should balanced with the fl ight
batteries installed, but not connected."

Would you fill the fuel tank? or leave it dry? or half fill before setting c/g.
Clearly it is hugely altering the balance point weather it is dry or full.

Plane had been balanced to the 95mm mark dry... Currently balencing mine at the "starter" 95mm with the tank at about 70% full (will test it tomorrow)... I´m thinking of moving it back though as i´m not getting any hint of a flat spin out of the plane!! To do this i´ll need to add lead to the tail though......
Old 04-03-2010, 07:04 PM
PMAXX

Always balance with the tank completely dry. If you balance with the tank full you will have to land tail heavy. Not really a good idea. Good luck!
By the way I just maidened miine today with the cg at 4 inches and it did pretty decent flat spin. Flies really well.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:10 PM
ceecrb1

I ask because this time i´m not so sure, but more because of the way the manual is written.

I am looking to move the c/g further back anyway.. i´m currently landing after a 10min flight with about a 70% FULL tank.. I just cant get the thing empty haha so in my case i´m always landing nose heavy... and so it come in more like an F3A plane.. fast and smooth..... i´m also not getting any hint of a flat spin.. which this plane SHOULD do easly!
I was getting all this with the plane ballancing at the manuals stated 95mm with the tank empty.

Normally I totaly agree, a plance is ballanced dry and the manual would say so..
HERE however, in THIS case.. its giving measurements for the electric version.... which would be in that exact state... so surely it would be a better idea to say ballance at 50% tank so you start and finnish closer to c/g during a flight??
(honestly with my 55ax yesterday i clocked up a 15min flight and had only used about 60-70% of the fuel.....)
Old 04-03-2010, 07:21 PM
PMAXX

I'd push the cg back a little at a time but still with the tank empty. Max out your throws and give it go.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
PMAXX

Oh, you should probably take the little guy out of the plane, he looks a little heavy for a 55
Old 04-03-2010, 09:02 PM
airborne2.4

I had a look at this thread and noticed all the different choices in motors but you guys don't have any 3D videos. The Extra might pull out of a hover with the OS .55 (18.52oz w/ muffler) and I'm sure the Saito 82 will be like a beast so will the Magnum 91, but it might be an overkill and just to heavy. I have an OS .61 (23.6oz w/muffler) collecting dust in my hangar and I also thought about using my OS 70 on the Extra. Question, would I be able to do 3D with either one of these motors?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:51 AM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: PMAXX

Oh, you should probably take the little guy out of the plane, he looks a little heavy for a 55
The 55 can handle it, but only with an empty nappy (daiper) and no feeding bottle or stuffed toys.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.