Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:57 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

ORIGINAL: mach2

Thanks.

Im gonna go back to a engine and prop question. First off, I bought this plane with a OS 46ax in it and it seemed way underpowered. However, i watched a review video with someone doing a high altitude hover with the 46 (albeit a ton of throttle).

Anyway, I put a 55ax in it. It flies way better. I started off with a apc (not a big fan, but the local store didnt have any xoars in stock) 12x6 and it was okay. I wanted a little more pull so i went to a 12x5, but the design is different between the two. the 12x5 has a narrower blade towards the tip which I would think reduce the amount of thrust. So im going to order some xoar props and hopefully that will be better.

What props are you guys using with this plane and a 55ax?

Now a motor question. Im kinda spoiled by my DLE20, so im thinking of putting something like a OS 95v four stroke in the Extra. Im considering this because GP recommends a .81 size FS, and the 95 is the same weight. And ive got the difference in weight between the 55ax and the 95v in the cowl with lead weights anyway.

Anyone with experience with any of these combos, please chime in.

Thank you,
Jeremy
Hi mach2,

I originally had a os 55 with a 13x4 prop on it.. It was aweful. It wouldnt hover like a good 4 stroke ... I put a 12x6 and it flew scale like. I swapped it out for a saito 82 and i feel this is the perfect combo for this plane. It's by no means a 3d deamon.. But it flys imac routines well and tracks like an arrow with knife edge. Other guys at the club went electric with theirs and put a rimfire .80 in it. Let me tell you, that combo is ballistic. I cant believe the vertical it has with the electric.. Leaves me in the dust ,but mine sounds way cooler with the 4 stroke. This plane is not a boutiuque electric, like the 3d hobbyshop,aeroworks, etc..built heavier to take on the task of electric or nitro
Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked into the rear of the fuse and didnt see any lead, but the belly of the plane was recovered because the original owner broke the landing gear out of it, so i guess it could be hidden. If not i just dont see why my plane is so tail heavy. Its flying good, but Id feel better if I had more power at this CG.

The rudder servo is in the bottom rear, but I looked up the manual and thats the way it should be for the GP set up.

Ive never used EP, but after looking at some videos on youtube of the Rimfire 80 that is recommended, that looks like a crazy powerhouse for this plane!!!

EDIT - hey frankeldan, you are in the Revolver thread too arent you? Anyway, Yeah, sounds like that rimfire is the way to go for all out power. I kinda want to sell the 55ax i just put in it and try electric. I hate how you cant hear anything but the prop (and only when its pretty close), but wow, that motor has got juice! Do you know what batteries the guy was using?

Im using a 12x5 apc at the moment because that's what the LHS had. I have a few xoars coming in a couple days from tower. Ive got some 12x4, 12x6, 12x8 and 13x4s coming. Ive got a couple 11x7s but im sure thats too small for it.

Jeremy

Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

Move the rudder servo to the tray and switch it out for a nylon gear. Remove the weight from the nose and you'll gain at least 0.25lb of thrust.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM
mach2

I guess that's what ive gotta do. Ive gotta lighten this thing up.

Each of the 645 servos are 2.11oz. Ive got 485s that are 1.59 oz. that will help.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM
iflircaircraft

mike early: The Saito 72 with a 12x7 prop and 20% nitro will pull it straight up for I'd say 200 feet.

Tom
Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM
mach2

That's another thought I forgot about. I only run 10% in my 55ax. maybe I should bump it up a bit.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
albsurfer

ORIGINAL: mach2

I looked into the rear of the fuse and didnt see any lead, but the belly of the plane was recovered because the original owner broke the landing gear out of it, so i guess it could be hidden. If not i just dont see why my plane is so tail heavy. Its flying good, but Id feel better if I had more power at this CG.

The rudder servo is in the bottom rear, but I looked up the manual and thats the way it should be for the GP set up.

Ive never used EP, but after looking at some videos on youtube of the Rimfire 80 that is recommended, that looks like a crazy powerhouse for this plane!!!

EDIT - hey frankeldan, you are in the Revolver thread too arent you? Anyway, Yeah, sounds like that rimfire is the way to go for all out power. I kinda want to sell the 55ax i just put in it and try electric. I hate how you cant hear anything but the prop (and only when its pretty close), but wow, that motor has got juice! Do you know what batteries the guy was using?

Im using a 12x5 apc at the moment because that's what the LHS had. I have a few xoars coming in a couple days from tower. Ive got some 12x4, 12x6, 12x8 and 13x4s coming. Ive got a couple 11x7s but im sure thats too small for it.

Jeremy

As stated after this post, move your rudder servo to the tray for balance, but DON'T trade out the metal gear servo for a nylon gear. It isn't enough weight to worry about and if you bash the rudder, you'll run a risk of stripping / chipping a gear tooth or several. I started using MG servos on both rudder & elevator on aerobatic planes because I stripped a rudder servo when I was doing wild-***** stuff. When I landed, yes I saved it, the elevator hit and chipped two teeth on that servo. I changed both out to MG servos and haven't had any probs on any of my aerobatic planes since.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 PM
mach2

Right. I was only going to change ailerons. I want the power of the 645mg on the rudder. I do use full deflection of the rudder quite a bit.

I was going to change the other servos out because I can use the 645s on some up coming larger planes.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 05-26-2012, 09:36 AM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mach2,

Yep.. Thats me on the Revolver thread. I cant belive how big that thread is.

I have servo in the tail as reccomended with flying a saito 82 . You need the weight in the tail for that engine.
The guys are fling the rimfire 80 with a 6 cell 4500 to 5000 ma . The plane takes off in a few feet and the vertical is more than anyone needs.

Just returned from the field and returned with what i brought.. Always a good day when that happens. I flew my 3d hobbyshop extra and the h9 frenzy . A good day.

My gp extra is at a members house that loves to do repairs. The gear is a little tweeked so he is renforcing it. Plus i dropped off 5 other planes for him to fix. Mostly gear issues, some wings, etc. this guy is 85 and enjoys fixing and building. I dont know how he fixes this stuff so fast, but its like factory new when he returns it. Leaves me for more flying time during the season..

Enjoy,

Dan
Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Kcripto
My Feedback: (1)

to re-live the topic:

I return with one of these after 3 1/2 years of inactively, I install the OS FS95V and minors mods needed to the kit engine mount, here some pics:

Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

Looking good!