Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM
rsands2801

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

have you been flying your plane yet with the 91? 3d ok on this one?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:34 PM
P51THUNDERBALL

91fs flys it great total vertical.CAN HANG IT ON THE PROP WITH EASE.I REDESIGNED CANOPY TO ALLOW IT TO SCREW ON FUSE. DID NOT TRUST THE MAGNETS.THATS MORE SET UP FOR ELECTRIC.THE MOTOR FITS PERFECT INVERTED DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE CUTTING UP COWL TO FIT IT HORIZONTAL? PLANE WEIGHED 6ibs
Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 PM
rsands2801

does it handle 3d ok? whats the rolls like on it? do you have any pics on how it mounted?

im considering getting this one...looks well
Old 04-12-2009, 11:54 PM
apwachholz

Gents -

I'm going to toss my 2 cents in the ring regarding the O.S. .91 (It's an FS-II Surpass).

While I can't yet comment on flight characteristics due to weather,as far as mounting the engine it was close to flawless. I mounted at 90 degrees (as you see in the pics before this post) and the largest area I carved out of the cowl was a 1.25"x2" square for the engine head. Outside of the head, an entire .O.S. .91 fits inside the cowl. Add two small additional holes:

1) One 1/4" hole on top for the high/low needle setting(s) as each are next to eachother on the OS .91.
2) A 1/2" hole underneath for the exhaust - which wasn't even for the muffler (that fit in there too!), it was for the silicon extension for the exhaust.

There's plenty of room for a beast like a .91 in the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12465.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1179120  
Old 04-13-2009, 06:21 AM
rsands2801

i was thinking of an OS 55ax in the plane...too small in power for this plane or?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I'm wondering about the 55AX also. In a 4*40 at 4lb, 7oz- way over the top power. In a 5lb, 6oz Cox Giles 202- great match up. How will it be at 6lbs?
I also have a Saito 82 that worked great in a 5lb, 12oz Zero.

I really this Extra, but do not want it lacking in the power department.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:32 AM
rsands2801

just seena couple pages back some said with a 12x6 it should pull fine...i thought this would be a bit quick spinning? maybe better spin up time, etc
Old 04-13-2009, 10:15 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.55-AX will be great. I'd experiment with various props to find what you like best. Maybe a 13x4? That's what I'm using on my YS-63 and it works well. I also ran one on a .55-AX bolted on a profile and it was outstanding.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:34 PM
rsands2801

brill looking forward to this one
Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 PM
mtbell92

ORIGINAL: WMB

I'm wondering about the 55AX also. In a 4*40 at 4lb, 7oz- way over the top power. In a 5lb, 6oz Cox Giles 202- great match up. How will it be at 6lbs?

I have a Saito 82 with a 14x6 prop and it has plenty of power. I have a total of four flights on mine and I'm not too impressed with the way it flies so far. Maybe the more I fly it the more I will like it. One thing I did was add bigger magnets because my canopy flew off on the first and second flight. After adding more magnets the canopy seems to be fine. On my fourth flight I rung it out with blenders, waterfalls, and some harsh snaps and the canopy did not come off. It's a beautiful plane, I just hope the more I fly it, the more I will like it.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mtbell92

I have a Saito 82 with a 14x6 prop and it has plenty of power. I have a total of four flights on mine and I'm not too impressed with the way it flies so far. Maybe the more I fly it the more I will like it. One thing I did was add bigger magnets because my canopy flew off on the first and second flight. After adding more magnets the canopy seems to be fine. On my fourth flight I rung it out with blenders, waterfalls, and some harsh snaps and the canopy did not come off. It's a beautiful plane, I just hope the more I fly it, the more I will like it.
So if you are not that impressed with it, what is the plane you are impressed with.
I like this one because it has the airfoiled tail feathers and I have the 55ax or fs82 to put in it. I think I would go with the AW 540 edge, but I don't think the 55 or 82 would be enough engine for it. I don't want to buy another engine right now.
I have a 4*40 for my go to plane- getting pretty beat up. Explorer pattern plane with YS110, fun and precise but fuel hard to get for it at times up here like right now. Had the Cox Giles 202 for about 25 flights or so, fun but not that impressed with it. I think the wing loading was a little too high.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 AM
rsands2801

i'll maybe do a build report on this one as there isn't much in the way of reports on it yet - on its way - two day shipment from tower hobbies to UK!! service or what!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
mtbell92

I have a Matt Chapman Cap580 with the Saito 82 that I have always liked the way it flies. I also have the Seagull Edge 540 V2 with a YS110 that is probably one of my all time favorites. I'm not ready to give up on the Extra just yet. Everyone else seems to really like it so don't just take my word. I really like the design of the plane and the color scheme. Let me get 10 to 15 flights and then I'll give my opinion.

So if you are not that impressed with it, what is the plane you are impressed with.
I like this one because it has the airfoiled tail feathers and I have the 55ax or fs82 to put in it. I think I would go with the AW 540 edge, but I don't think the 55 or 82 would be enough engine for it. I don't want to buy another engine right now.
I have a 4*40 for my go to plane- getting pretty beat up. Explorer pattern plane with YS110, fun and precise but fuel hard to get for it at times up here like right now. Had the Cox Giles 202 for about 25 flights or so, fun but not that impressed with it. I think the wing loading was a little too high.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 PM
P51THUNDERBALL

PICS OF MY 300 CANOPY PAINTED YELLOW DID NOT LIKE SILVER.MADE CANOPY HATCH TO SCREW TO FUSELAGE MAGNETS ARE FOR ELECTRIC USE DID NOT TRUST IT.INSTALLED OS91FS FLIES IT GREAT.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
CloudSkipper

This is my first ARF that's both electric and glow, so please forgive my possibly silly question. If going with nitro engine, would you not want to cover with thin balsa the big openings on the top and side of the engine box? I was just thinking that to ensure good flow of air past the nitro engine and out the bottom of the cowl, those openings into the fuse might interfere.

Cheers

p.s. I understand why you need airflow through the fuse with electrics...

Name:	Sq48277.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1180959  
Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 PM
rsands2801

i see what you mean - i never even thought about that when i looked at kit tonight there (top marks to tower hobbies!)

i was looking at them magnets and dont like the look of them at all. what way did you modify yours?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The openings in the engine box are no big deal. They keep the plane lighter. You always see it in larger gasoline airplanes too. You can use some thin balsa or covering film to cover the holes if you want but it really isn't necessary at all.

As for the canopy magnets, they are just intended to hold it rearward There's sort of a tongue and groove set up that keeps it from lifting off in flight. The only problem is that you have to be sure you push the canopy backward so that the magnets grab and the tongue & groove are engaged. I have a habit of inadvertently pushing my canopy forward when I hold it for starting. I always check it before take off though and it hasn't come off in flight so far. You could always add more or lager magnets or maybe even some sort of latch if it becomes a problem I suppose.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 PM
P51THUNDERBALL

rsands2801 pics on my gallery of canopy modification.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 PM
obriendigital
My Feedback: (13)

I have a Matt Chapman Cap580 with the Saito 82 that I have always liked the way it flies. I also have the Seagull Edge 540 V2 with a YS110 that is probably one of my all time favorites. I'm not ready to give up on the Extra just yet. Everyone else seems to really like it so don't just take my word. I really like the design of the plane and the color scheme. Let me get 10 to 15 flights and then I'll give my opinion.

Thanks

I look forward to your report, as I just got the extra and am debating on what engine to use. I am leaning towards the Saito FA-82.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

...still waiting for reports of anyone flying with a 46AX...
Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
kwboost

Hello everyone. I just purchased the extra from tower hobbies. I must say it is top quality and the covering is superb. My father came to visit me last week end and he was impressed with the build quality. So he ordered one too. He is mostly into sport flying and scale warbirds so he's building his with a simple setup. He is using GMS 61 for power with standard servos and hardware. He is making good progress on his build and if weather permits he will maiden it this weekend. I also asked him to give me his finished weight for comparison. The only modiffications He did was make a rudder servo tray between the original tray and wing tube. He install Pull pull cables for rudder. I'll see if he can get me some pics and a flight report

My extra is going to be for exreme 3d and built as light as possible with best power to weight ratio. I was debating between os 55ax, saito 82, jett engineering 76, and ys 63. After careful consideration I decided to go with saito 82. So I purchased the engine from loacal hobbyshop yesterday. I had real good success runing perry pump on my saito 180 so I think I'm going to do the same with the 82. Also, I picked up a few rpm and saved weight by running straight pipe on the 180 instead of the original exhaust. Ill see how it works on the 82

Iv'e already lightened up the hatch area and removed the nylon tubes in the fuse. I Plan on running hs5645 pull pull on the rudder and a single mini hs225mg in the tail for the elevator. I also plan to get carbon wingtube. The original wing tube is waaay heavy. And I will see if the carbon gear from 3dhobbyshops 55" extra will fit nicely on this model. I would like a carbon spinner. Does anyone make a carbon spinner that will fit this bird?

As for wing servos I'm thinking of hs82's

Ill post pics up my progress.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

...still waiting for reports of anyone flying with a 46AX...
I'm waiting for the same info. Has anybody tried, or are they willing to?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM
rsands2801

it really is a superb kit...the covering is top notch, the internal is nop notch and unlike Hangar9 - they use glue lol! Hangar9 have a habbit of not using very much of it. no real probs yet except the manual can be quite brief in bits and even miss a step or so - corrected online in tech notes - although nothing common sense wont tell you to do :d

i went with ds821 servos all round - not the lightest but they are decent torque....that rudder has some serious throw on it!

Good idea chloe on the canopy - did it add much weight though?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 PM
nikon44

I have a O.S. 46FXw/ pitts, DS821's every where, mini on throttle, a great sport plane, could not be happier

Name:	Zx71541.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1181603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29820.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1181604  
Old 04-16-2009, 07:00 PM
CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: nikon44

I have a O.S. 46FXw/ pitts, DS821's every where, mini on throttle, a great sport plane, could not be happier
Excellent pictures [8D] Climb one is nice.

I'll be using a 46AX with pitts muffler as well, but I'm flying that engine on a different plane initially, so will be a little while yet before it's on the Extra. Is your 46 running hot at all? I ask because I can see that my 46AX will easily fit inside the cowl with the cylinder head not protruding.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.