Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Is there such an Airframe

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Is there such an Airframe

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 08:02 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there such an Airframe

Ok,
Looking for a plane that meets the following criteria.

1. 1100 Sq inches wing area (variable up to 1200 sq in) No exceptions to anything less than 1100 square inches. (ok...maybe a couple...but it better be GOOD!)
2. ARF (I REALLY don't even have any time to assmble an ARF, but I'll bend a little...maybe ARC...defintly NO kit.)
3. IMAC Flyable/ 3D is a plus
4. All up weight ready to fly about 10 lbs (my motor is just under 3) So airframe/radio about 7 lbs max without motor. Motor puts out 15 lbs thrust.
5. Priced under $400

Katana/Funtana is sweet looking ..... Creek's is too low on wing area.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!
CrazyHerb
Old 06-16-2003, 12:09 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

What about the Katana that Chief sells?

Joe
Old 06-16-2003, 01:15 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Anyone fly this one?

Kinda low on area but anyone fly this one??

http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/Katana_72.htm

CrazyHerb
Old 06-16-2003, 01:49 AM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Default GSP Katana

I am flying the GSP 72" WS with a Saito 180 flys great even heavy with 32 oz of fuel over the CG. I am planning to give the Saito the old heave ho and installing an RCS 180 later this week.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:56 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Weight

cool,
What's your dry weight?
Old 06-16-2003, 02:19 AM
Swat Cop

Default GSP Katana

I reinforced the firewall area, I have a Saito 180 with an aluminum mount, aluminum spinner, 18X6 Dynathrust prop, one stick of Prather lead weights (6oz I think) on the firewall, pilot, bigger tires, recovered the plane with Monokote and Ultrakote, (3) Hitek 605 servos mounted in the tail and one 475 mounted on the firewall for the throttle. The all up dry weight was 12.5 on my bathroom digital scale (which was accurate when tested with a 15lb dumbell). Most people I have talked to on RC Universe with the same plane weigh in about a pound to a pound and a half lighter. My plane could definately be lightened if I wanted to but I don't 3-D and I like how it flys. I am sure my flying weight will be lighter with the gasser because I won't be hauling three pounds of glofuel at takeoff. You can see pictures of my plane if you click on the picture gallery button below.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:28 AM
Swat Cop

Default GSP Katana

Oh, and one more cool thing about the Katana, there are not a bunch of others just like it at the field (yet), its something different from all the Extras and Edges. Mine definately draws attention at our small field. Most people have never heard of a Katana (although it is a real full size aerobatics plane made in Italy). I really like the unique wing siloette.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:52 AM
Swat Cop

Default Katana 3-D video

If you want to see a cool Katana video check out the address below, its a fibertech Katana not a GSP but they look the same.

http://www.3dbatix.com/images/imac6-7-03/jeffrey.wmv
Old 06-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Mike James

Default Yep

That video made me sweat...

Nice flying!
Old 06-16-2003, 10:07 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Any Other Airframes?

Is there any OTHER airframes that would meet the original criteria??

(leaning towards the GSP/Chief Katana)

Is it the New one's that are flat horz stab? or are the old stabs airfoiled???? I'd like to make sure I get one with....just looks better.

CrazyHerb
Old 06-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Swat Cop

Default Katanas

There are two different ARFs, the GSP/Chief Katana which is red, white and blue has built up balsa wings and airfoiled tail surfaces. The second is the creek hobbies Katana which is the same size is yellow in color, sheeted foam wings and has flat tail surfaces. I only have experience with the GSP Katana but I have read of a lot more problems with the creek Katana.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:54 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default ORDERED GSP!!

Well Guys,
I just took the plunge, ordered the GSP Katana. It's on it's way.
Chief's are due in 4 weeks.....I couldn't wait.....

I love the Red, White, Blue scheme, airfoiled tail group, double beveled surfaces, and rear servo mounts. And that trademark wing fairing...

And the full-sized plane DOES exist!!
http://aeroweb.lucia.it/it/industry/katana.htm
http://www.moki.co.uk/terzi.htm

Questions:
Anyone have the stock tank size that comes with this plane?

What servos are you using for the elevator halfs? Does it need more than standard dual BB??

Thanks for everyone's advise. Looks like it's gonna be a ball!!

CrazyHerb
Old 06-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Swat Cop

Default GSP Katana

I had the stock fuel tank (470cc or 16.54oz) that was good for about 5 minutes of flight time at full throttle with my Saito 180, should be good if not too much for a gasser. I have three Hitec 605 servos in the tail for the elevators and rudder, two hitec 475 in the wings for the alerons and one hitec 303 for the throttle mounted on the firewall for the throttle. I am using a 6 volt RX battery with an MPI failsafe switch.

Don't be too shocked when you see that transparent white covering they put on that model. Thats why I recovered mine.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:12 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

CrazyHerb,
You didn't say what engine you were going to use. Do you mind saying. I've also got a 3# engine looking for such an airframe.
Tim
Old 06-19-2003, 02:34 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default RCS 1.40

Hi Twostroker,

I have my newly broken-in RCS 1.40 for the Katana.
Just pulled it...moments ago...from my 13 lb H9 Edge.

Tached it this weekend, over 9000rpm with a Bambula 16x8. Close to 16 lbs thrust!! 20 minutes on a 8 oz tank (super Light).
I'll probably look around for a nice 18x6 prop for the RCS. I like the lower pitch....might squeeze a tad more thrust out of it.

I'm totally surprise at how hard this little motor pulls....I think the Bambula props were made for it....

What motor do you have?

Good Luck!
CrazyHerb
Old 06-19-2003, 03:43 AM
Swat Cop

Default PCM or PPM

Crazy Herb, do you fly your gasser with a PCM or PPM radio and have you had any interferrance problems?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:07 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Radio

Hi Bike,
I fly with stock Futaba Super 8 FM and the FP-R148DF FM Rx.

No glitches or interference problems now.

However, I did have some early on. I was running the antenae inside the fuse along two carbon elevatro rods and steel pull-pull rudder cables and I did get some hits at about 50 ft motor on antenae down.

I re-routed the antenae straight out the side and to the tip of the horzontal stab and it fixed it. Clear as a bell now...

Hope that helps!

CrazyHerb
Old 06-19-2003, 10:27 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

CrazyHerb,
If you would be so kind as to let me know what the Katana is like, I to have the RCS140SE. One thing about the little bugger(the 1.40) it's tough to find an airframe for, well this kind anyway. So if you don't mind, when you get it in...shoot me some feedback.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:04 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

CrazyHerb, let us know how that 3 lb. engine works out. Ive got a new G26 that weighs 3 lbs (a bit more) an would like a 1000 sq in airframe to try it out in....

Thanks,
phil in austin
Old 06-20-2003, 05:46 AM
Swat Cop

Default Katana gasser info

I just finished mounting my RCS 180 in the GSP Katana. I cut the stock engine box off the firewall, the RCS 180 has a rear mounted carb with a radial mount which consists of three cast alumium legs which mount to the firewall. I mounted the radial mount to a aftermarket gas engine isolation mount. With the engine mounted in this fashion to my surprise, the plane is tail heavy very tail heavy. The RCS 180 is heavier than the Saito 180 that it is replacing and the prop hub is the correct distance at the front of the cowl (same as the Saito was with the engine box) but apparently the weight is closer to the CG. I can see at least one or more servos will have to come out of the tail. FYI for anyone mounting a gass engine in the Katana.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:18 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Wow bike466...that's almost hard to believe! But it could be a blessing in disguise. I prefer to setup my plane a bit tail heavy initially then add nose weight to get it to the aft end of the recommended CG range. After flying, I start removing nose weight until the CG is what I consider optimum...hands off inverted...totally neutral in pitch. Ultimately you'd end up with no lead to achieve 'perfect balance'.

I wouldn't mind moving the rudder servo up to the CG and using pull-pulls...as a matter of fact, I would prefer it! Concentrating the planes mass closer to the CG is beneficial.

I've got my ZDZ40RV ready to mount...but nothing to mount it to. I wonder when Cheif is going to be 'in-stock' on these ARFs...I can't wait! Gimme gimme gimme!

-Tom
Old 06-20-2003, 02:09 PM
h82crash

CrazyHerb, sorry I didn't catch this sooner. I don't think the GSP/Creek is what you're looking for. The Funtana S IS the plane that fits your criteria the best. For an ARF though, you can't go wrong with the Dave Patrick Edge. It is the finest ARF I've had the pleasure of building. It is a laser cut assembly and super light. 1200 sq in of wing and should be about 12.5 lbs with your 140. I think the GSP will end up about the same weight and have 200 inches less wing area. The DP is $450 shipped and has all hardware including their nice tailwheel. Only thing I changed was the push rods. Flight is sweet!
I have the Creek Extra and it's an ok plane but not even in the same league as the DP.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Swat Cop

Default GSP Katana gas engine update

I moved the ignition and battery up to the firewall, installed the prop and aluminum spinner this time, I also moved the RX battery to the CG. The plane balanced perfect (very slightly nose heavy) with all three servos in the tail.

I put the plane on the scale and the all up weight minus fuel was 13.5 lbs, not bad considering it weighted 12.5 with the Saito 180 DRY add another 2-3 pounds for the 32oz of glofuel I had mounted over the CG and the plane flew great even at that weight. With the wing area of 992 sq in (thanks to "Hank" on another thread for converting it from metric for me) it should be around 32oz per sq inch wingload. The Saito 180 would swing an 18X6 prop @ about 8200 rpm, from people I have talked to on RC Universe the RCS 180 should swing a 20X6 prop close to that. I am anxious to hear how the RCS 140 and ZDZ 40 do in this plane.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:44 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Bummer on the weight...I might end up using an OS 1.60 after all...

Darn!

-Tom
Old 06-20-2003, 11:37 PM
h82crash

Also, don't consider the Saito 180 fuel consumption the same as the OS 160 when it comes to tank size. The OS only needs a 16 oz tank. Less take off weight and cheaper 15% fuel, more power than the Saito. Tom, you will be very happy with th OS. Most do need a $25 Perry pump because the muffler pressure with Bisson or Slimline or even stock muffler is insufficient to supply the fuel. At least you can put the tank on the CG. I like the pump so much I pump all my big glow engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.