Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 02:13 AM
squareloop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing Gear Revisited (sorry)

Got the tail group squared up and everything hinged...wings too. Like TailTwister I went epoxy all the way.

Was gonna fuelproof FW and tank area next but thought it would be a good idea to address the landing gear tearout problem first.

Looking at how the landing gear block is attached I could see why that area might be a problem. It looks like the plywood plate is attached to nothing but balsa bottom sheeting which has the grain running parallel with the landing gear. Its not even attached to the ply sidewalls. The triangle stock that is there for reinforcement probably would only help some for bumpy spot-type landings.

I think I'm gonna reinforce from the bottom. Remove covering. Epoxy fiber tape or liteply. Recover. I think putting a piece of balsa sheet cross-grained to the existing sheeting would work fine too and be lightest and fastest way to do it.

Just an idea.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:21 AM
Billy Haynes

Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

I maidend mine today. Flys good, made 3 flights, got it trimed. The .72 made more power each time. After it's broke in I plan on installing a 13x4 & see how it does. It's a clean airframe & hold's is speed good. Too good on landings, with a slight tailwind (don't like having to land from oppisite direction, over powerlines & road). Would spoilerons help, or would flaperons be better in this situation? I thought I read somewhere that with the ailerons reflexed up helps with harriers & elevator, is this correct? One wheel paint screw (RH) came loose. I'm going to put some locktight on them. If they keep given me trouble I'll chuck'm in the can. My biggest problem was getting a good throttle linkage set up with the carb so close to the firewall. I had a good time flying it, but have to say not as much as the $40 SPAD I maidend. I think less stress do to damage resistant airframe may have played a roll.........OK I know that was it......
Old 07-14-2003, 09:20 AM
cstevec

Default Funtana Round 2

Got the new one up this weekend. My replacement Funtana got here Thurs. eve. just as promised (thanx UPS guy!) and Got her recovered and little issues all taken care of for a Sat. maiden flight. Two clicks of down and she was trimmed out. I didn't have a lot of warm fuzzies about this one but so far it is perfect. No landing gear issues and flies like a dream. the Saito is finally broken in and I guess I am finally starting to become a competent if not good pilot myself. I got a new Futaba 9CAH to go with and changed to a way different frequency so I don't think interference is a prob any more. The new bird/setup flies like a dream. Even my 8 year old had fun with this one. I think my 3Diing learning curve is going to take a major leap with this addition to the hanger. Will get some pics up this week.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:01 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Default Can someone...

Can someone out there check my ruler. I measure 59" from tip to tip on the wings. Am I seeing things or is the span listed wrong on all the documentation?

Jason
Old 07-14-2003, 04:41 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

I may just be the voice of dissent here, but Ive been flying mine for about 2 weeks and I am somewhat dissapointed with it. the thing that bugs me most is that it will not float in like a FF. I MUST maitain speed or the thing pancakes on the gear when slowed too much. (no wind conditions - better with some wind)
Harriers are good but the wings wobble like mad. The sledge for example harriers and lands better. Rudder effectiveness is no where near as good as a FF, It is much harder to keep in a stable hover than my ecstacy, or my old sledge for that matter, once it starts to fall out there is no getting it back with the rudder. Flat spins arent very flat at all (I am at the rear cg with double bevels on everything) Inverted flat spins are better but still nowhere as good as most Fun fly's. Is it just me.......
Old 07-14-2003, 06:19 PM
TailTwister

I agree with smallfly on most things. One of the first things I said is that the rudder was too small, but I really did not expect 4.5 pound profile fun fly capabilities. I wanted a sport plane that does 3D also. I think I got that. Like I said, it beats the crap out of the Somethin' Extra (and the Pizzaz I'd wager).

It does is for $165 built.

I love the plane, small rudder and all.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:23 PM
swill
My Feedback: (17)

Smallfly, I'm with ya on this statement: "I MUST maitain speed or the thing pancakes on the gear when slowed too much. (no wind conditions - better with some wind)"

I feel bad for already breaking a few props! For 3D, I think I'll stick with my Flip.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:49 PM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

Default Landing Hard

Im not sure why but my funtana seems to float in and not want to come down. I have to hold it at a couple of feet and let it bleed off the speed. My plane is on tail heavy side which is the only thing i can think of so far. I have added no weight and run a os 70. What is everyone running for a CG?
Old 07-14-2003, 07:12 PM
TailTwister

My CG is somewhere between 5 1/2 and 5 11/16. It did seem to float too much, and made me think the CG was too far aft. I raised both ailerons up about 1/16 of an inch, and now it hangs almost level and has a predictable sink rate. If I use flapperons on landing is slows well. If I want it down right now, I use a touch of spoileron. I'll probably creep tha CG back more. I think I'll shoot for 6 inches and see what happens.

But it does not fly like a 4.5 pound Sledge. I lost a wheel on my Sledge and landed at almost zero speed and didn't even nose over. I doubt the Funtana will slow down like that.

I wonder if a new category of plane should be recognized. Maybe like a "Sport Fun Fly". It's no Menace, no Madness, and no Sledge, but one heck of a plane.

For the record, the Flip has 200 extra squares, and very well should out 3D the Funtana. If the Flip were a little more competitive in price, I'd have one to compare. A 700 square $165 plane versus a 900 square $230 plane seems unfair. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:23 PM
jrmdjr

Greetings!

I am nearing completion of my Funtana - Im amazed at how long it is taking me - aarrgghh!

Are you running it as 5 channels, or 4 channels with a connector on the wing ailerons? Also, what sized prop should I start with on my OS FX 46? I am not experienced with 3D yet (hence the purchase of the Funtana).

Thanks again,
Jason - whos wife is still missing her dining room table as I told her it should only be a couple of nights - AT THE MOST!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:57 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Run the ailerons on separate channels so you can mix in spoilerons.

I found the APC 12x4 to be the best puller.

If you need a little more power, take out the muffler baffle and drill out the stinger with a 3/8" drill bit.

Check out the thread I just started in Glow Engines.

My Funtana is almost done, also using a .46 FX and looks like 5.0lbs AUW
Old 07-14-2003, 10:12 PM
TailTwister

How the heck did you get 5 pounds?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:30 PM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

5 WHAT! pounds! no way ! send me your scale I want to put my plane on it.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:51 PM
cstevec

Default Won't Land ???

Brought my new one in tonight on one wheel. I floated it in and set it down in a perfect 2 point only to find out I was missing a left wheel. I had about 15 feet of runout and then the left landing gear touched down. She cut a shallow groove for another 10 feet or so and then stopped. No nose over and no damage. I think they land just fine.

One thing though, the wheel came off because the axle slipped(vibrated?) out of the nuts/sleeve. Take a look at yous because that kind of luck doesn't happen very often.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:59 AM
jrmdjr

Whats a stinger?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-15-2003, 01:28 AM
TerryPhillips

Originally posted by TailTwister
For the record, the Flip has 200 extra squares, and very well should out 3D the Funtana. If the Flip were a little more competitive in price, I'd have one to compare. A 700 square $165 plane versus a 900 square $230 plane seems unfair. Just my $0.02.
Having some fun here and I got to thinkin. Using a little math it would seem the Flip is only $18.00 more expensive. No, it's not new math, just a bit of forcasting: 700 sq in @ $165 comes out to 23.57 CPSI (cents per sq in). Now multiply that times 900 and you get $212 bucks, or about $18.00 difference. Or you could say the Flip is about 25.55 CPSI, and Koysho wants about 10% more for their real estate

Others:
Magic Extra $119 700sqin 17.00 CPSI
UCD 46 $149 904sqin 16.48 CPSI
GP PW 300 $300 1157sqin 34.49 CPSI
to the extreme
ACM 52% Edge540 $4795 3960sqin 121.05 CPSI

Puts it all in a new perspective...

TGP
Old 07-15-2003, 01:53 AM
bentgear

Guess I must have been flying a different type plane or there are vast differences in the kits out of the box. Hands off landings. Never been able to do that with a plane before. If you really wanted it to look pretty it just needed about 1/256" pulled on the elevator stick about 2" off the ground.
Ed M.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:07 AM
TailTwister

CPSI...

Now that's seeing the silver lining. I got a good laugh from that one.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:42 AM
brian5

new guy here, trying to locate a funtana. anyone know where there's one in stock? thanks, brian
Old 07-15-2003, 03:35 AM
Billy Haynes

TailTwister.......since you have tried both directions for landing, do you think ailerons up or down would be better for tail wind situations?
I know, I know, landing from the other direction would be better but I only land from the other end of the field when the wind is so strong you cann't land any other way.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:31 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Default 5.0lbs

My scale is accurate, I calibrated it with known masses.

I did go to slightly extreme measures.

720mah 5 cell batt 2.3 oz
micro servo on throttle .3oz
no wheel pants saved 1.5oz but doesn't look as good
no spinner saved another 1.5 oz
forget the metal axles and wheels used lite wheels and bolts saved another 1oz

As you can see it all those small amounts begin to add up. I needed 5.0lbs for the .46 FX I am determined to use

Should be flying it within a week or sooner if I can find a few spare hours.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:04 PM
TailTwister

As far as the 5 pounder goes, Weigh it all done, and get back to us. My projected weight was 5.5 pounds, and I picked up 4 ounces along the way. Let us know how it turned out.

As far as downwind landing, you are right, I'm gonna tell you to practice your landings (especially rudder) and land into the wind if possible. My club has a fixed east/west runway. We land from one way or the other, but there is generally a cross wind at minimum. Now, If I were forced to land from downwind, I'd land the plane with speed and clean. Depending on the speed of the wind itself, flaps or spoilers could make things worse.

Chief Aircraft had a few last time anyone looked.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:08 PM
TailTwister

By the way, anyone wanting taller gear, the Morris Hobbies Hot Hots gear went on really well. It would easily clear a 15 inch prop now. I just had to add two bolts as it is two piece gear, and paint it white.

You Saito 100 guys may want to give them a call and try a Top Flite 15x6 or APC 15x4. Just a suggestion...
Old 07-15-2003, 01:53 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Default Gunk

Originally posted by TT2
Jason,

When running my Saito 91 last night I noticed the engine leaking...seems to be spitting fuel from the cam cover area. I'm looking for a fix for this and will try to let you know...

-Tom
I pulled the engine off last night and the rear crankcase cover is the culprit. I am not sure why Saito went to a plastic cover, but I tightened everything down and cleaned it up and left the cowl off to see if that clears it all up. I hope so.

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. I check my tape and The wings are 59" not 56" as everthing else says. Not that it is a huge difference, but I thought it was interesting. Wonder how they trimmed off 3" to get thier number.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:00 PM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Default Re: Gunk

Originally posted by SilverEagle2
I pulled the engine off last night and the rear crankcase cover is the culprit. I am not sure why Saito went to a plastic cover, but I tightened everything down and cleaned it up and left the cowl off to see if that clears it all up. I hope so.

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. I check my tape and The wings are 59" not 56" as everthing else says. Not that it is a huge difference, but I thought it was interesting. Wonder how they trimmed off 3" to get thier number.

They went to plastic because it's cheaper than Aluminum...plastic has its place in the world but not on the backplates of good running engines that do generate heat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.