Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD! >

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taller gears for Funtana and SE

Originally posted by TailTwister
Anything you want at:

http://www.apcprop.com/

I did not get the strong pull from the 13x6. It was very sluggish leaving a hover. The cut down 14x4 was much more authoritative. The lower pitch allowed a few more rpm, and the wider blade made good use of it. I noticed no real difference in airspeed as I don't usually fly level with very much power.

As for the Saito 100... I wouldn't throw rocks at my 72 if all of the sudden it gained some more power for this bird. I have no idea how you are going to use the power, with the ground clearance of this plane, but go for it. My understanding is that the 100 needs a 15 inch prop (or so). My 13.25 is all green at the tips now. A 15 ain't gonna happen.

Maybe someone will find some taller gear. Maybe it will be fiberglass or carbonfiber? Maybe it will weigh a tad less? Maybe I'll just fly the crap out of it the way it is.
Check out this site www.fiber-lite.com/
Old 07-15-2003, 06:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

I put the Morris Hot Hots gear on mine. I can easily clear a 15 inch prop now.

There is nothing quite like finding exactly what you want, just two days after you bought something that will do.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:31 PM

Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

I know what ya mean-I think we've all been there!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:48 PM

anybody have to cut the hinge slots on the ailerons deeper, the slots on my funtana arent deep enough to sit in the total half of the way that they need to. also, my funtana had alot of wrinkles in the ultracote and the ultracote is almost completley off the very end of one of the wings.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:07 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Default Wrinkles?? Slots??

Hi wkderf,

It is typical, and normal, for ARF's from any manufacturer to come with some wrinkles, some more or less than others. During heating and cooling cycles covering will typically never stay drum tight. Get out your heat gun, or iron if you don't have a gun, and shrink it up. Mine also has a few places that aren't sealed down completely. Again, before doing anything else, use your iron to go over all the seams on the plane and make sure they are down tight. This should be standard procedure for any ARF you get.

Yes, my hinge slots are also not deep enough. Take 5 minutes, before starting any assembly, and use your #10 Xacto knife to deepen all the hinge slots. It will save you a ton of time to do all of them first instead of one at a time as you have a problem.

Bill
Old 07-15-2003, 09:08 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default Yes...

I think we all did! (Or should have)

Just hit it with a heat gun and all will be OK. Carefull around the stickers, they will curl.

Jason
Old 07-16-2003, 12:12 AM

Default Funtana

I have seen several posts where some of you guys have talked about using a YS 63 for a power plant, I have not seen any posted results---I am curious how it will stack up compared to the 72's, as I am planning to use a 63 on mine (if it ever gets here!!!)If anyone is flying a YS63 on their funtana, what is the best prop size to run?? I hope to have as much fun with this bird as it sounds like everyone else has--------Maybe next weekend..........
Old 07-16-2003, 12:47 AM

Default 10.5 lbs?

I decided the BME102 increased my wing loading a bit too far and the LG was a bit too short, so I mounted up my OS 46FX instead. AUW 5.25 lbs and that's with the included spinner and axles, but no pants. The only variations from stock were a pair of Hitec HS-225s in the tail, HS-81 for the throttle and a 5 cell 720ma rec pack. Sure enjoyed assembling this plane much better than my Magic Extra. Now if I can find the time to fly it

BTW, quick poll on control surface deflections. What's your setup?

Have Fun,

TGP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94190_14116.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	50967  
Old 07-16-2003, 12:59 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Default BME

I'm surprised you didn't have to cut the cowl up more to make the BME fit.

I'm just mounting my elevators, and I just can't see the need to go to the trouble of double-beveling them. I think the designers knew exactly what they were doing. With thin horiz stab/elevators, and the tiny gap with the hinges, deflection is between 50 and 60 degrees and should be plenty for any 3D maneuvers with the plane setup correctly.

Bill
Old 07-16-2003, 01:46 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terry

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:27 AM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Default Re: 10.5 lbs?

Originally posted by TerryPhillips
I decided the BME102 increased my wing loading a bit too far and the LG was a bit too short, so I mounted up my OS 46FX instead. AUW 5.25 lbs and that's with the included spinner and axles, but no pants. The only variations from stock were a pair of Hitec HS-225s in the tail, HS-81 for the throttle and a 5 cell 720ma rec pack. Sure enjoyed assembling this plane much better than my Magic Extra. Now if I can find the time to fly it

BTW, quick poll on control surface deflections. What's your setup?

Have Fun,

TGP
A friend of mine also put the BME 102 on his but could not get the cowl to fit...He ran an APC 9x6 prop and got 22,000 RPM's....and that was at idle. It flew great until the 2 bricks fell off the horizontal stab ...and that's when he put the YS 63 on and man does that thing perform using a pro Zinger 13x5. I'm not a YS man but they sure have the power!!
Old 07-16-2003, 03:52 AM

i am going with the YS 63 set up on mine. the engine should be getting here tomarrow and i'll have it flying by the weekend. i will tell you how it works with this engine. i'm going with a master airscrew 13x6 or 14x6. i'm gonna see what one works best.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by wkderf
anybody have to cut the hinge slots on the ailerons deeper, the slots on my funtana arent deep enough to sit in the total half of the way that they need to.
Yup, I had to cut all my slots deeper. In fact the ailerons had no slots at all! I had to attack all of the slots with my slot machine to get them line up and deep enough, of course now I have wood shavings rattling around inside the wings etc...
Old 07-16-2003, 06:24 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Anybody have a canopy from a deceased funtana, mine blew off over a bean patch the other day. I am going to go to 30% heli fuel on my OS 70, anyone have som experiance with that.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:39 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default I run...

I run 30% Heli in all my 4 strokes. I run it on a little 40 surpass and it makes a bit of difference. I like it in my Saito's especially.

Speaking of which, I took mine off and tightened everything up and remounted it. No leaks and it is running great. Bought ready to throw the 14X4 back on aned see how it goes.

Jason
Old 07-16-2003, 03:01 PM

I guess I should cancel my BME 102 order. Oh well, so much for that plan.

Does anyone have a solid number for rpm gained by going from 20% to 30% fuel in a Saito 72? How about life span, any real loss?
Old 07-16-2003, 03:49 PM

I don't have the RPM numbers you are looking for, but from what I have heard, the engine generally runs cooler on the higher nitro. Whether this translates into longer life, I don't know for sure, but I imagine cooler running won't shorten the lifespan of a motor.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:58 PM

As far as numbers go, my 72 gained roughly 500 rpms when I switched from 15% coolpower to 30%, and the idle significantly improved. As far as the heat goes, an engine won't run cooler on 30%, and I know I have heard it before. More power, more heat. With that said, don't believe that 30% will burn up your motor, mine is cool enough when I land to hold my hand on the head in short sequences
Old 07-16-2003, 06:16 PM

The extra cooling from running 30% comes from the fact that an engine will have to be run a little richer when running 30%. Riccher=more fuel=more oil=cooler engine.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I found this quote from Horizon's site

"Up to 30% nitro in your Saito is fine as long as the oil content is high enough. That's why heli fuel is recommended. It's got the oil to keep the engine cool. "

So just keep up the oil content and it will be fine. I just bought mines yesterday and its too much $$ I could have gotten the YS instead. =p

Ill try it out in the early morning this weekend. I just hope that I dont become late that my saito 72 will not perform well. Due to summer heat at socal
Old 07-16-2003, 06:37 PM

My Wildcat YS 20/20 fuel gets me about 9,600 rpm runnung cool. I guess I'd get about 200 to 250 rpm more based on the 500 rpm gain mentioned. On a 14 inch prop that works out to about 1/2 a pound.

Bummer, I had hoped for more.

As far as the nitro % relates to the heat of the engine, I always thought that more nitro made it burn not only a bit hotter, but sooner too. It seems like either could be bad if it is "too much".

I have read, time and again, that the Saitos love 30% fuel, however.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:43 PM
My Feedback: (8)

I've never tried 30%, because I'm too cheap...however, it loves 20/20 YS fuel. If anything, for the idle quality and crispness...
Old 07-16-2003, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (31)

I'mrunning 15% cool power and it works fine for me, if you run higher nitro you want your oil content to be high not low.

just my tought!

how about a pic of the saito mounted with the cowling!
Old 07-17-2003, 01:37 AM

Greetings!

As I am nearing completion and installing the control horns, I cant seem to drive the screws into the surface without stripping the heads? Is the insertion of CA into the holes a necessary step? I do think I am drilling the pilot holes to the correct depth.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-17-2003, 01:41 AM

Default OK I give up! Re: cowl

Has anyone been able to get the cowl on without cutting the bottom? Trying to get it centered over my thrust washer but I need to push the front down like a quarter inch more. But to do that would mean I would have to cut. The top ramps upwards like a pug nosed turtle. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.