Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 01:03 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

I use a single fuel dot similar to that, with a small loop of fuel line (pink) that can be seen from the front of the plane just below the cowl. I have to get on one knee to fuel, but as soon as I see fuel in that tube, I know it's full.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:18 PM
NM_Mark
My Feedback: (8)

Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

I had to do it...and I shouldn't have

I grew tired of my high altitude killing my power, and stuck an OS 91 4-stroke on the nose of my plane. Then I had to add a different landing gear so I could turn a 15 inch prop. The combination of the bigger motor and landing gear added enough weight to the plane that it lands bad now. Chop the throttle, and it falls like a brick. I do have vertical now, but the increased wing loading did nothing for the flying charateristics. This is not a Tim Taylor aircraft (more power!!!!)

Mark
Old 08-05-2003, 01:44 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's more or less stock, but if you've got the dosh you could try this:
Replace the engine with a Saito 100, get the fiber Lite CF gear, get rid of the aluminum spinner (if you have one), use a micro servo for the throttle and use a smaller nimh batery etc, etc.. you get the idea. The plane will probably then be lighter as well as more powerful...
Old 08-06-2003, 08:11 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

I have a used Saito 80 laying around, do you guys think it will fit it? If it does I might go out and get one this weekend
Old 08-06-2003, 09:18 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

DiabloKid,

The 80 will fit but you will need to put the carb back to the firewall and recess the linkage if the carb is the same as the saito .91. Does your carb angle to the center of the engine or go straight down like the .91?

Brian
Old 08-06-2003, 10:23 PM
SunShyne

This is my first 4 stroke and I dont much about it and the setup but here are some pics so you can see what I have
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99732_22817.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	50979  
Old 08-06-2003, 10:25 PM
SunShyne

and another
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99733_22817.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	50980  
Old 08-06-2003, 11:46 PM
dmsick

Default Saito 80

I posted awhile ago in this thread (I think) about installing a Saito 80 in mine. The carb does set right against the firewall, but the opening is away from it. You have to move 2 blind nuts, and modify the mount a little to get it to fit. It's wider than the 72 for which the plane is designed. Flies great with that engine though.
Dave
Old 08-07-2003, 12:54 AM
SkyKingski

I have my plane built stock with a Saito .72. It has a nasty snap to the right when it stalls. Anyone else have anything similar occur? Any recommended fixes? The other quirk seems to be dropping the nose when power is retarded to idle-manageable but I didn't expect it. Downthrust needed perhaps?
Old 08-07-2003, 10:05 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Diablo kid,
You will be able to install the 80 easier than the 91. The 91's carb comes straight down and about a quarter inch needs to come off the top of the mount. You will still have to make a recess on the firewall for the linkage. Email me and I will give instructions when you are ready.

Skykingski,
Have yoy balanced your plane laterally?

Brian
Old 08-07-2003, 10:50 AM
SkyKingski

I did balance it longitudinally and laterally. I did not use an incidence meter to check ailerons are creating the same camber. I hope to get that done this weekend-plenty of incidence meters in the club.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:31 PM
FLYPAYSON-RCU

Default Funtana

Just finished mine, installed a YS 63, came in at 5.4 pounds dry. Looks like the engine wont be enough to hover this one.The only prop i have on hand is a 13-6, The best I can get is 9400 out of it. Is there a better prop application to run with this engine? I am running 20/20 blend, after a bit more break in time I will try the 30 % to see if there is a significant change.I am hoping to be able to find any "tweaks" or tricks to get this engine to perform. Any advice would be very welcome and appreciated. Thanks, Travis
Old 08-08-2003, 01:02 AM
fla_g8tor

Default funtana weight

Just finished mine, weighed 5lb 5oz with saito .72, on these same scales, my CG extreme 330 with TT 46 pro weighed 4 lb 13 ozm and my sig ultimate fun fly was 5 lb 1 oz with tt 46 pro, so I feel the weights are fairly accurate.

Looking forward to flying it saturday morning
Old 08-08-2003, 02:55 AM
awat
My Feedback: (3)

The YS 63 hovers mine just fine with plenty of reserve power to pull out. I use a 13X4W APC prop with 30% Cool power Heli fuel.
I adjusted the high end to 11,000 rpm. I can get more out of the engine but the engine likes to run at 11,000. If you can not get more than 9400 rpm, check the valves.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:01 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Snapping

Hi SkyKingski,

There are many reasons a plane will want to snap in one direction or the other, warped wing(wash in, instead of wash out), aileron misalignment, lateral imbalance(though I'd put this toward the bottom of the list), and my guess is an uncoordinated condition. If you don't have enough right thrust in the engine, and have added rudder trim to compensate, this will cause a snap in that direction.

Bill
Old 08-08-2003, 03:22 AM
BadBill
My Feedback: (89)

Default Saito 100

Well, you use what ya got and this is it. Would like some building / flying comments and suggestions from those who have powered their Funtana's with the big Saito 100. I already have ordered the longer carbon gear.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2003, 01:58 AM
NM_Mark

Just installed a Saito 100 in mine...and I now have the vertical I wanted...but I'm scared to put it on the scale, because I already know the added weight from the Saito 72 killed the wing loading. I added a landing gear from a Aeroworks Edge that I dumb thumbed...let's me run a 16 x4W APC prop with clearance to spare. I need to move the CG back, but it snaps pretty good even though I'm a little nose heavy. And it's thirsty now...the stock tank lasts 10 minutes now...and I'm never at full throttle...
Old 08-12-2003, 01:59 AM
NM_Mark

...And did I forget to mention the added weight makes it snap easier on landing???
Old 08-12-2003, 09:41 PM
BadBill

Default Snaps on Landing????

Man, I gotta tell you, if adding the extra 2.8 ounces that the 100 weighs over the .72 made your plane snap on landing, something is wrong other than the motor :-) You got a warp somewhere? We're talking about a plane with 714 square inches of wing area, ( mine should come in well under 6 lbs ) I wouldn't think you would even notice 2.8 ounces, esp. with the airfoil this thing has. Looks like mine is going to balance right on w/ the 100, with no added weight- I am using CF landing gear from Fiberlite.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:00 PM
bpryor

Default .72-1.00 weight difference

Hi Bill,

Not to be too anal, but the weight difference between these two engines is actually 4.2 oz and if you then add in 1 - 1.5 oz more for the bigger prop, and assuming you want to fly as long as the .72, add in some more weight for the extra fuel, and you're pushing 1/2 lb difference. Not exactly insignificant....and that's all assuming you can use the same mount and don't have to add some more weight there.

That's why, even though I'm going to try a Saito .91 in mine because I happen to have one, I'm still guessing the H9's recommended .72 is the right balance of power and weight for this plane.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:10 PM
BadBill

Default Weight Difference

No biggie, and I am not challenging you or anything, but straight from my manual for the Saito- The weight of the 100 is 550 Grams, the 72 is 470 grams. The difference is 80 grams <28> =2.86 ounces. Am I figgering wrong? Also, I just weighed my prop and it's less than an ounce :-) My old Laser 3D weighed 4.2 lbs and was just right for 3D with the 72. I have flown a buddy's Funtana with a 72 and it just didn't "sparkle" if you know what I mean.

BTW, you aren't anal about weight... there's a guy at the feild that said we should ask Brison not to anodize the motors we order to save weight :-) :stupid:
Old 08-12-2003, 10:24 PM
bpryor

Default Weights

Hi Bill,

>>BTW, you aren't anal about weight... there's a guy at the feild that said we should ask Brison not to anodize the motors we order to save weight :-)

Well, I guess in that light, I'm pretty tame.

BTW, the 550 gram weight you're using for the 100 is without the muffler and the 470 gram weight for the .72 is with the muffler. There's actually a 2.5 oz weight difference between the .91 and 100.

An ounce for the prop? Which one are you using. A 15X4 APC weighs 2.5 oz. You're right though, it does look like I was over estimating on the prop. It's probably closer to a 1/2 oz difference than an ounce.

The point I'm trying to make is that weight adds up very fast when going to bigger motors, and it is rarely just the bare engine weight that tells the whole story.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:35 PM
NM_Mark

Plus I added a different landing gear, so I could spin a 16 inch prop...it's much sturdier than the stock gear..and 4 ounces heavier. I've ordered different gear, but this was all I had...unless I threw on the old gear from my Magic

Mark
Old 08-13-2003, 06:11 PM
3-DorBUST

Default weakest area of funtana

[
I'm also epoxying the entire inside from the throttle servo forward.

THis will add a tiny bit of weight, but I want the plane to hold up for me. This is described as the weakest area. [/B][/QUOTE]

Trial and ERRORERROR says the weakest part of this plane is @ the junction of the turtle-deck/rear fuse. and the front half of the fuse.
As seems to be the trend with many ARF's the fuselage stringers (longerons?) don't go thru this area, so all thats holding the tail on is the 3/32" balsa planking.
It goes back together easily, but could use some reinforcement.
I used wing reinforcement fiberglass cloth stuck on with thich CA FROM ABOUT 3" either side of this junction.

Good flying, bro!
Old 08-13-2003, 06:17 PM
SilverComet

Just epoxying won't add much strength unless you do it real think, which adds a lot of weight. I would cover it using one layer of 2 or 3 oz. fiberglass cloth and finishing resin. Epoxy is ALOT heavier than fiberglass cloth for the same strength.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.