Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:45 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Build it the way the book says and fly it. I have flopped mine in a few times, and no problems have shown up. My gear is holding, my front deck is fine, and the area behind the wing saddle is good to go.

I recently put it into a corn field and destroyed the wing, but the fuselage had ZERO damage. The leading edge was shattered, and it gave me a good look inside. The construction is light, but not overly fragile.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:27 AM
rocket19682
My Feedback: (2)

Default H9 Funtana. PICTURES OF ARF IN BOX, COMPLETED, INFLIGHT, IN THIS THREAD!

Anyone using the Magnum XLS .52a? I just got mine built and just finished breaking in the Magnum so I should be ready to fly this weekend. The engine seems to be a real screamer but I'm curious to hear some other experiences.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

First flight today with brand new YS .63. Plane flys great and vertical power seems unlimited with a 12x7 APC on 20/20. This at 95 degrees!
Old 08-15-2003, 12:10 AM
awat
My Feedback: (3)

Try a 13X4W APC and 30% heli fuel on that YS 63 if you think the 12X7 and 20% is good.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just happen to have a APC 13x4W. Thought I'd wait until I've got 10 or 20 flights on the new engine though.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:57 AM
cstevec

Default Weakest Part

I beg to differ about the weakest part of the plane. Reinforce your landing gear 'cause this plane doesn't like grass at all. I have rebuilt my landing gear three times. The plane uses a hard balsa block to mount the landing gear in and it just doesn't deal well with grass. Next time I fix it I am going to put a hardwood block in there to replace the balsa. My plane has more flying time here lately with no landing gear then it has with landing gear. The up side is it flies really well with all that wind resistance gone!!
Old 08-15-2003, 03:12 AM
Tango

Default OS 50 Reports

I have read most of the Post on this thread tonight. I saw that there are several guys that were putting on the OS 50 - JRozman, therotund1, swill, DLT (46 sx), Winkeyy, Jerrysn31, and Aircowboy (46 sx).

I have an OS 50 SX I purchased for the Funtanna. But, I am thinking about returning it for a Saito 72 mainly because of all the reports in on the 72.

Will the OS 50 do the job? (so so, good, or rippin!)

Steve
Old 08-15-2003, 04:05 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default OS 50

Hi Steve,

There is no doubt in my mind that the OS 50 would have tons of power for this plane.....just make sure to keep it as light as possible. If you read the reports on mine with a TT GP42 it worked well, but even keeping the plane extremely light, it definitely did not have enough excess power for 3D maneuvers that require it.

The only advantage I believe the .72 would have over the 50 is the ability to turn a bigger prop, which will help in some 3D maneuvers, plus downlines, etc. The 50 should have more vertical than the .72 since it has more HP.

Bill
Old 08-15-2003, 11:18 AM
therotund1

I'm still waiting for my plane!!! I can't report about the Funtana, yet, but the 50 in a 4-1/2 pound plane and a 12.25-3.75 APC had unlimited with plenty of reserve for pulling out of a hover.

I have no doubts the 50SX will be a winner in this plane. Don't return it. It's one great engine!
Old 08-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Dug89

Default OS 50SX

I have an OS 50SX in a Pizazz and I have been dissapointed with performance. The specs look good on paper but to get the advertized power, you need to run it to 20K rpm. Yikes!

My Pizazz will hover at 7/8 stick but there is nothing left to pull out for recoveries. Plus if I add a fairly flat prop to get the RPM up, it buzzes the plane to the point where it sounds like it is coming apart.

You might want to check out a 50 SX in person. I just think it does not produce enough power at 1/2 stick, which is generally where you fly.

I have a H9 Funtana on the way and plan to go with a 91 Surpass.

But of course everyone knows what opinions are like....

Good flying everyone.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:06 PM
adrian-RCU

saw one with a 50 fly today, flies ok or so,so does the pattern stuff fine but 3d, nope - when you see a funtana fly with 91/100 saito's it's a different plane. the os 50 is a fine engine but not really for the funtana.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:26 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

So what your saying is.... With my OS 46, it's not going to 3d?????

I bought one of these at lunch today from the LHS, and was hoping to put one of my Os 46Fx's with a Bisson pitts muffler on it, with an APC 12x3.75 prop....

This won't work? It sure seems light enough.....

phil in austin
Old 08-15-2003, 07:41 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default OS 46

Hi Phil,

If you saw my previous post, I have a TT GP 42 in mine with a mousse can muffler. I went to quite a bit of effort to keep it light and it is a bit short of power to have any reserve if I need it. It needs to around 3/4 power to hover. Your OS 46 should have a good bit more power than mine so if you keep it light, and that's what you have, try it. Everyone has a different idea on what enough power is for 3D. Your skill level should be a factor in your decision. If you're experienced at 3D, I bet it would be enough, but if you're not, then you probably won't have enough reserve to get out of trouble near the ground....then again if you're new to 3D you probably won't be near the ground......
Old 08-15-2003, 07:56 PM
phuffstatler

I'm not really into ARF's very much, but I've watched this one for some time, and thought today, What The Heck, I'll get it. I did see some earlier posts on the smaller engines. But, some of these fellows are saying that without a Saito 72, 100 or some such, this under 5 lb. plane won't jump out of a hover nicely. It seems odd, as it's not a big plane, and the airfoil doesn't seem any more radical than a profile.

It's strange, but I could pull out (barely) with my GP Cap 232 (from a kit) with an OS 46, again barely, but it weighs about 6 pounds or more. I'll work to keep the weight down, but the plane is already built, so I can only do so much. I would think the OS will pull it straight up. My little OS 40LA pulls my 4 pound QHOR straight up from a hover with a 10x6. Of course, it has no fuselage to drag around, so the prop blast is more effective there. Maybe down here in Texas the prop will have more bite, and it'll work. 20% nitro should help some, too.

I have a lot of flying experience, and some 'high alfa' time, as I really enjoy it. Most of that has been with profile aircraft, though. I got this one to get more in tune and some practice, as I finish out my Yak. Plus, I just wanted one... The hardest part will be sneaking it into the house...

phil in austin
Old 08-18-2003, 02:18 AM
Tango

Default Maiden today! WHAT A PLANE!!!!

Finished putting the plane together yesterday (Saturday all day)!

Today (Sunday), the maiden flight!

I had sooooo much fun this evening taking up the Funtanna for the 1st time. 3 clicks of left aileron and she was all set. Rock solid in every aspect What a joy to fly!

The plane is far more capable than my abilities, so I am set for awhile before I need the low end torque of the Saito 72.

Earlier, I posted a question about using the OS 50. Wow, plenty of power!!! I don't know that much about 3D flying, all I do is wiggle the sticks! All the manuvers were really tight. At the end of the flight, the guys were asking how I learned to do all those 3D moves. Funny!

The OS 50 will take me a long way with this plane and I couldn't be more happy with it and that is what counts. It renewed my love for the fun side of the hobby.

Thanks for all the posts in this thread! What a wealth of knowledge!!!!

Configuration:

OS 50 SX
Slimline Pitts Muffler
(this muffler gave a very nice deep sound for a normally annoying hi pitched motor, pretty cool!)
Standard JR Airpac 5 with 537 servos and R700 Receiver.
Low rates set to 30% (and it would still get wild. Didn't try it on high rates on the maiden but I know it will be fun.)
Oh, can't forget the pilot: "Bongo" the TY Baby Monkey! (all the plastic beads removed and replaced with cotton making him a slim 1/2 oz).

Will check out tonight and then back to the field tomorrow morning.

This plane is every bit as fun as my GP Patty Wagstaff Gasser!

Steve
Old 08-18-2003, 02:22 AM
Tango

Also,

Plane weight 5 1/2 lbs.

CG was perfect with the battery in the fuel compartment.

Landings are absolutely a dream...slow and smooth...a real floater.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:37 AM
cstevec

Default Heed the warning!

I finally nailed flat spins yesterday and I mean flat spins. Put the wheel pants on her and the extra drag changed the whole characteristics of the plane. I got perfectly flat, slow inverted flat spins. Plane looked like someone had stuck a pin through the edge of one wing and she was pivoting around it. I was having a ball.

My timer went off and I was just futzing around and taxiing back to the pits when I saw my buddy driving up to the field (so I thought) figgered what the heck I'm gonna show off a little. Boy did I! Hit the gas, snapped her straight up in the air about 20 feet and dead stick! Out of gas. I got her turned over and into the high grass she went hard. Tore the landing gear off again "suprise suprise" but this time those pretty wheel pants punched 2 nice big holes in the wings and one of 'em cracked a rib. Oh well, I'll just have to fix her tonight. Sad part is, turned out not to be his truck after all.

Yeah, sometimes I AM a Idiot!!!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:32 AM
phuffstatler

Default Maiden also...

Bought it Friday night, built it Saturday, flew it yesterday. Good Lord, this ARF stuff could be addictive.

Built it mostly box stock, as all I changed was the throttle pushrod to nyrod, as I don't like metal rods coming from the engine to the receiver. Also used screws to put the canopy on (with little plywood pieces glued in the fuse) instead of gluing it on.

Running an OS .46 FX, with Bisson pitts muffler, running the APC 12x3.75 prop. Stock Futaba radio setup (standard ball bearing servos), and 5 lbs. 9 1/8 ounces ready to go. I put as much mechanical and electronic advantage into the throws as I could with the stock Futaba horns. Turned out to be plenty.

CG came out at the rearward mark, so we put a heavy hub on it for the first flights, just to be sure...

Gosh, this plane flies well. As my friend Bobby puts it, "It's an honest airplane." Very crisp, plenty of power with that old worn-out OS. I need to replace the bearings soon, but even with that, I found I could pull straight up out of any situation with this engine.

Here's the shots after the maiden, taken by my buddy Steve.

Me and the plane...

a 'scale' shot

Just another regular 'ol Funtana...

It sure was fun... I look forward to my weekends of piddling around with it. By the third flight, I had everything on high rates only, and was exploring harriers, hovering and such. It'll get better as I get more time on the airframe...

All in all, I am VERY pleased....

phil in austin
Old 08-18-2003, 12:29 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Default I flew...

I flew mine Saturday and had to put her in the truck after one flight.

My Saito is kaput. Seems that the cam lobe is wearing and causing a severe click. Seems that it was not getting enough lubrication up front. I have heard that others have had similar problems with the 72. I always ran the engine rich and still had the issue. I wish they would replace that plastic back plate with a real metal one too.

Anyway, I will wait until my new one arrives and get her back in the air.

I love this plane though.

Jason
Old 08-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Kyle300S

i went flying today, 1st flight was good till while i was hovering a few inches off the ground my muffler just falls off the plane. pulled out and landed. come to find out the threads on the cylinder of the YS 63 are striped out. this is a brand new engine and i already have had to get a new carb and a new cylinder. but over all YS rocks!!! should be back in the air next week.

Kyle
Old 08-18-2003, 06:37 PM
SilverComet

Phil, where do you fly in Austin? When'll you be flying the Funtana again?
Old 08-18-2003, 07:27 PM
phuffstatler

Hey Silver, I fly at the Hill Country Aeromodelers field in South Austin normally, though I've been known to venture around to different fields at times....

I 'should' have it back out this coming weekend... If everything works out with work and family....

Phil in Austin
Old 08-18-2003, 07:58 PM
SilverComet

Cool Phil, might come over there to check out your plane.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:42 PM
dsagot
My Feedback: (2)

funtana 40,

i've been flying mine since june . ys63 13x4w apc wildcat 20/20 fuel. plane flies great. re-enforce wing dowels mine came loose after 15 flights. does not like to waterfall or k.e..

bipes r us
Old 08-20-2003, 10:21 PM
BadBill
My Feedback: (89)

Default Re: Snaps on Landing????

Originally posted by BadBill
Man, I gotta tell you, if adding the extra 2.8 ounces that the 100 weighs over the .72 made your plane snap on landing, something is wrong other than the motor :-) You got a warp somewhere? We're talking about a plane with 714 square inches of wing area, ( mine should come in well under 6 lbs ) I wouldn't think you would even notice 2.8 ounces, esp. with the airfoil this thing has. Looks like mine is going to balance right on w/ the 100, with no added weight- I am using CF landing gear from Fiberlite.

Got it done, finally, now to find time to test fly. With the 100 and the fiberlite gear all up weight is 5 lbs 6 ounces. I used a 1450 NIMH battery that weighs about 4 ounces, so I can trim off some weight later if needed Surprisingly, it turned out tail heavy by a smidgen, I had to put the battery forward to get it to balance right. I can't wait to try it out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.