Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Nitro planes

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Nitro planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Rick GK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro planes

Has anyone purchased a plan from Nitroplanes.com.? I wanted to know if these are any good. it seems like the prices are very reasonable.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:28 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Nitro planes

If this is your first ARF, they have very limited instructions. The basic ariframes I have bought have been very good. As with the other ARF's I have, I have tossed a bunch of hardware and used what I thought it should have. I have (5) planes from them. I have not had a problem with them. There was a term used in another thread about the ARFS from Nitroplanes. They are called builders ARF's. I like mine.

Dru.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 PM
carrellh

If you search in the "ARF" & "Beginners" forums you will find a lot of results.

They do have a support forum on RCU
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_456/tt.htm

If you read some of the threads in that forum you'll se some happy with the resolutions offered and some not so happy.

As noted, the instructions you get are very minimal. The only NM plane I have seen is a 1.20 size biplane. The construction looked good and it was very light. The owner said assembly was very challenging but he had very positive comments about the way it flew.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 PM
matador_24

Hello, not recommendable if it is your first plane as metioned above because you must have some knowledge about building an ARF plane before,

The planes are good, not the best quality but good for the price. I also think you should ALWAYS use the high engine recommended for the category you are buying, the planes tend to be tail heavy and you are better to use the biggest engine recommended for that plane that you can... Otherwise, you might end up with an underpower plane.....
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I bought one of the planes they sell that is essentially an unauthorized copy of a high-end plane (didn't know what I was getting into at the time but that's another story). My point is that even though the airframe was a direct copy of a well respected aircraft, the hardware was all crap - control horns that were asymmetrical or the wrong size, metric control rods with non-metric rod ends, missing parts, etc.

They reimbursed me for some replaced hardware, but the money I saved on the plane was not worth the headaches and lots of extra time getting things right. They also use very cheap (crappy) covering that pulls away at the seams when you try to shrink it.

I think Nitromodels is a great place for an experienced builder to get a great deal on an airframe, to use as a pallet for modifications and such. I do not recommend their products for a beginner. It would probably not end up as savings in the long run, especially if you consider the amount of extra time it will take to build the plane.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:55 AM
russm

junk
Old 07-18-2009, 02:38 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy their foam jets!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Rick GK

Thank you all for the input.

I have buit several stick built planes. But if I went with an ARF I didn't want to buy crap. I rather spend a little extra and have better hardware then switching everthing out.