Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

phoenix models extra 300 or giles 202 40sz?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

phoenix models extra 300 or giles 202 40sz?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 AM
thorn247
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default phoenix models extra 300 or giles 202 40sz?

I have a H9 pulse and a GP Dazzler, I want to get a Extra or something because these are the planes i like, and I think I am ready, But do to budget i need to go a little cheaper, The Phoenix are great prices and I hear the quality is not bad, I want a nice sports flier with the abiity to crank it up when i want, I was just wondering peoples opinion's
Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Default RE: phoenix models extra 300 or giles 202 40sz?

From watching some full-scale YouTube videos, a Giles is better at side slipping than an Extra. An Extra is better at sharp turns than the Giles. The Giles may also be better at stall turns than the Extra. So, if you like tighter 3D type maneuvers, you might like the Extra. But if you are more into knife edges, flying sideways, and skid turns, the Giles may be your turn on. If you are on a budget, then pick the one with the lower price. Have fun!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 AM
jzrf6c

I had a Giles, it lasted 2 flights. I flew to early in the morning and lost perspective. I could not tell if the pane was coming or going. It went - SOUTH !!! Dummy me.
Next I got the 330. Nice plane flies good. I would suggest to change the fuel tank (one supplies id very small). I also changed the wheel axels. I dislike the screwws they give you.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 AM
bigdanusa

If you think you're ready to crank it up a notch, I'd get the phoenix extra 300s. Comes with the control surfaces already hinged and pinned. They say it flies fine with a .46 but I went with a 55 AX and a pitts muffler on mine. Flys like its on a rail and rolls really nice. It's fast too when you open it up and landings are a breeze with just a tad of power. Besides that, it looks beautiful on the ground.

As far as that phoenix giles a lot of people have complained about flutter tearing up their plane.

Get a Phoenix Extra 300s. You'll be glad you did!

big dan

Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM
thorn247
My Feedback: (6)

I have been leaning towards the 300s after doing some investigating, Thanks for the help
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 AM
bigdanusa

Here is what others are saying about the phoenix extra 300s. Aftering reading it myself, that's what made me get one also. And I'm glad I did! You won't beleive how nice it is from the box to flying it!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=2695

big dan
Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
crooney82

Iowna PhoenixGiles and its a very cool plane. 4th flight Ipulled the plane out of a dive and either overstressed the servo and broke it or had aileron flutter. Ithink that the wing is too fast for the control surfaces. If you look at the extra 300s ailerons they are about half as wide as the Giles. The Giles is heavier and has a smaller wing. Its a sweet plane but I think im going to be praying to Mary every time Ifly it.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I'm a big fan of Phoenix Models ARFs, I sure wouldn't try talking anybody out of getting one. If you're ordering from Tower Hobbies and cost is an issue, I'd probably recommend the Super Tigre G-51 ringed engine. It would provide plenty of power at a very reasonable price. The Super Tigre G-51 would be a good match for the Giles 202 ARF as well.

If you're on a budget, however, it might be worth peeking at http://www.kangkeusa.com and looking under the "Special Combo" section. Kangke USA's Super Kraft ARFs are very high quality, and you can get their Extra 300 .40 ARF with their SK 50 2-stroke both for $199.

Good luck, and good shopping!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:04 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Black Horse Extra 300s which is a sister company to Phoenixso I think the airframes are essentially similar.
It flies great. I have GMS 47 in mine with a Bisson Pitts muffler.

Vertical is not unlimited - engine is not fully run in and plane is still a little heavy at 2712gr.

CG is a bit of an issue. I could not get it too blance on the CG machine so I whipped out the calculator and digital scale. Assembled accordng to the manual the CG she comes out at 99mm from the leading edge. Manual says 100mm. Close enough.

I flew her and she was a little too sensitive for me yet.
SO I moved the batterry to the top of the fuel tank under the cowl. CG is now 91mm and she flies great. She pulls out of a dive toward the canopy so I think th CG does need to move further rearward. Inverted flight seems to confirm this as she requires a bit of down elevator to hold the inverted flight.
Thrust is ok.

I can save some grammes of weight by fitting a plastic spinner and replacing the JRDS8301 on the rudder with a Futaba S3010.

Landing is a piece of cake snce she responds to the elevator even at very slow speeds and the stall is quite predictable and straight ahead, just drops the nose. No nasty tip stall to the side.

I can't compare to a Giles 202 but Stall turns are dead simple rolls are super fast and Snap rolls are predictable.

I need to work on he wing weight because in a loop she always drops a wing.

I am super stoked with the build quality and strenght seems fine. Just don;t deadstick and drop it in long grass, the gear WILL be riped out.

With a more forward CG it handles easy. I'll report again once I move it back to the 100mm recommended from LE
Old 02-14-2011, 04:32 PM
frivera12

What performance will the Extra 300 have with a Magnum 52 fs?? How about an O.S. 55AX??
Old 09-29-2011, 05:54 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I have the Phoenix Giles 202 from Tower, but they don't sell them anymore. The GP version was around $129. Now they only have the EP/GP.
This is a very nice plane for the money.
The quality is very good, it takes one afternoon to get it ready. I put a .52 Magnum four stroke in it, which has some hours on it and a little weak for this model. I will install a bigger engine on this.
It flys very nice, huge control surfaces help with aerobatics and with enough power I am sure it will hover. This is a nice aerobatic trainer.

Also I have a Kangke Extra 300, I see someone posted this. This is also a very great plane, I flew this with an OS FX 46 with a tuned pipe, which was handling nice, just put a OS 70 surpass on it and now it really goes. This is a fast sweet plane with unlimited vertical. It does aerobatics but the control surfaces are too small to hover. This one is made for speed.

Both planes are fun to fly. I don't want to pick one over the other.

Ijust see the Extra is the clearance items, for $129 this is a great deal. Thinking about getting another one...

Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 AM
ameyam

The 40 size Phoenix Extra is not exactly 3d, Its more scale and not a docile flier. The Giles is a much better flier with the right setup. You have basis for the Giles setup in the RCU reviews section. The 60 size Extra is 3d but not the 40 size. I suggest to go for the Giles and if you have a 60 size engine, go for the 60 size Phoenix extra then

Ameyam