Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 PM
RoyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

I emailed Great Planes. They said to send pics and receipt and they would replace the wing.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:25 AM
flashback
My Feedback: (39)

Hello
anyone face hard time with the wing tube joiner?

http://www2.gpmd.com/imagel/g/lgpma3284.jpg
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your picture is unviewable since special permission is required.

Bruce
Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 AM
AJsToyz

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24157.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	1834495  
Old 12-29-2012, 04:58 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Andy, I see you bought something but not sure what? Are you joining up with us here? Will you be going with gas for power?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM
RoyR

I would like to add some more on my problems with the Revolver I just bought.
I know many of you have had lots of good things to say about the kit. Just to let you know, Lemons do sometime get through.

When I began assembling my Revolver the first thing I noticed was the Monokote was severely wrinkled on the wings and every other covered part I could see. I spent a good hour on one wing. Although I couldn’t get all the wrinkles out, it is sort of presentable now. I began by installing the aileron servos. I finished the right wing and began the left, starting by working on the wrinkles, then the servo. I had the servo in and was about to attach the control horn to the elevator when I noticed the horn did not line up with the plywood reinforcement on the aileron. After examining it I found the cutout for the servo on the left wing was ½ inch more inboard than the right. I wrote about this earlier and Great Plans has said they will replace it.

However the trouble didn’t stop there. I decided to go ahead and attach the horizontal stabilizer to the fuselage while I waited. I could not get the carbon wing tube into the wing. It would not fit into either wing, and was a tight fit in the fuselage. I had experienced this problem with a kit years ago, so I knew what to do. Using silicone spray and fine sandpaper I took off the rough spots on the wing tube. I also had to put sandpaper on a dowel and smooth the first few inches on the tube inside both wings. After a bit of sanding it finally goes in.

Then I put the wings on the fuselage and finally noticed the right wing did not have alignment pins. I thought maybe there would be dowels in the kit for us to install on the wing, but the left wing did have the pins and they were nylon. No problem, I can still use dowels on the right wing.
I put the left wing on and slid it to the fuse. The pins did not line up and would not go in the holes on the fuselage. I looked, one was crooked, so I pulled it out to install later. However, when I tried to put the wing on again, the other pin would not go into the hole either, so I pulled it out to be replaced.
That is as far as I have gotten so far, and that has taken two days. I have written Great Planes again telling about the problems.

I know these things happen, and so far everything can be fixed, but I seldom have so many things wrong with one airplane. Even at that, after reading what most of you have said about how great your kits were, I was very surprised at how many problems I am having.

I hope when I continue there are not any other hidden problems to come out.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 AM
VictoryRoll

@RoyR :

Please see my post #6164, and @wjcalhoun's reply #6169... I received my Revolver 70" the same as yourself, with aTERRIBLE(and I have more inappropriate words than that!) covering job. It hadwrinkles in EVERY surface. Everywhere on the plane.... I am VERY DISAPPOINTED, as I have three (3) other GP planes that had very minimal wrinkles from factory??? Quality at the factory... who knows....but this should NOT get released in this condition.

I also had dents in the fuselage in two (2) places. I would rather take out wrinkles than dents, but both !! ???

MORE MADDENINGthan those two (2) problems is the fact that the ability to slide the wing panels/halves over the tube was a two (2) person job... very, very difficult.... BUT.... BUT... get this...once the two wing halves were slid onto the tube and up to the fuse, the "alignment pins", did not line-up (not even close) to the holes in the fuse!!!

I sent the whole thing back and I am waiting for a new Revolver to be delivered. I am quite disappointed with GP. I know this is a great flyer, but needless hours spent to bring a model to usable, flyable condition is deplorable.

Don
Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 AM
orthobird

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

sounds like your kit was left out under rain by UPS ro whoever sent it to you.
you should call whoever sold it to you and tell them these problems.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM
orthobird

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

wow, amazing. can't believe that happened to the two of you. myself, as some others here, have had two or more of the same plane. i read were someone was one their 4th one, i think. none of my planes had any problems like this. this is very bad news for GP.
can the two of you check to see if you purchased it from same place. i bought mine from graves rc, in Florida.

i do say, i did purchase a 1/3 scale eagle cap, GP, from tower hobbies (sadly to say, i purchased the plane twice), but both times, the elevators do not align well, hard to explain what i mean. but i contacted them and they told me they would send me out a new one, i never got it.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 AM
AJsToyz

Al,

I was just playing, that was the Revolver with all the discounts. I have to many things already, don't know what to do with another. I have several unfinished kits, a NIB Seagull YAK, a very hard to come by Wild Hare Baby Edge, and a few other things. Way to much stuff! I am watching the little engines in two other threads though!

Andy
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM
VictoryRoll

Yep, @Ortho, you're right... I have never received a model kit/arf in this kind of condition... my hypothesis would be it was in a hot truck (certainly not around here ~35* out)... maybe that caused all the wrinkles, but the alignment issue was totally on mfr.   Nothing much I could have done with that.

It was bought online, thru Amazon, but distributed by Best Service Stores.    My wife had a $100 Amazon Gift Cert., and she used that to buy this for my birthday (12/24).   It got here late, Best Services takes 2-3 days for processing alone... get that !    Never EVER buy from Best Services, since they do not even deliver on their OWN NAME !  lol.

I called, explained the issue, no problems with the return, but I am a bit concerned how long it will take to get here, long process time still in effect, snow storms across USA, and time always goes by slow when your waiting on a new plane!!   

I let you know how it all works out.   All of my other planes have been purchased either at my LHS or through Tower or Horizon Hobbies.

I guess there is a first time for everything!  If the new one comes to me in a wrinkled mess or any other issue that is beyond normal/expected ( a few wrinkles)... it goes back, and negative feedback will be posted to their site, Amazon's site, and I will write to GP.

I will keep you abreast of the situation.

Just a quick thanks to WJC for his help.

Don
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 PM
RoyR

I bought mine from Tower Hobbies. Since I have already began working on it, I doubt I could send the whole thing back. I'm still waiting for conformation from Great Planes that they will replace the bad wing. The other problems are a nuisance, and the left over wrinkles won't look that good, but I can get it together. I told my wife that a couple of days out at the flying field and it would be scratched up anyway.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 PM
landeck

Thinking out loud: I have had about 10 ARFs from Great Planes and Top Flite. All were ordered directly from Tower which is the on-line retail operaterion for Hobbico. TF and GP are also Hobbico divisions. When they receive a shipment, it goes to the Hobbico warehouse in IL. If a LHS orders it, it shipped to the LHS and he stores it at his shop until sold. An online retailer will also have to store it at their facility under what ever conditions their facility supports. It is then shipped to the customer from their facility. When I order from Tower, it is shipped directly to me from the Hobbico warehouse bypassing the third party storage and shipping. Like I said I have had a number of TF and GP ARFs and all were ordered directly from Tower and all arrived in good to excellent shape. The third party routing could explain the covering problems encountered but not the other ones. I would like to know what is going on.

Bruce
Old 12-29-2012, 02:05 PM
RoyR

And to re-emphasize, I don't have a problem with Tower or Great Planes. I've spent thousands with Tower, and am usually happy with Great Planes.
It's just this particular kit that is giving me fits.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:27 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i only live about 3 hours from Towers warehouse. and my stuff has always got here fast and in very good shape for over 20 years. Thanks Tower ! by the way are you hiring ?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Sbach342Guy

Sbach rebuild is done. Now I just need to decide if I will keep the DLE or go electric. The lightning bolts re-applied pretty well. The lightning bolt on the left side is buggered up a little in one small area. Overall it looks fantastic. Everything seems to line up correctly so I don't think it is twisted or anything. If I convert to electric the Revolver and the Sbach might be able to share the 6s batteries.

Name:	Ge94990.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	1834737  
Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

I wonder if GP moved their QA focus from the Rev 70 to the Rev 90. Haven't heard of any QA issues on that model yet. The wrinkles are bad enough, but no excuse for the alignment issues.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:01 PM
ahicks

Regarding the alignment pins, I have to wonder if those wings were the same ones that were imported with that fuse? In other words, could that plane have a replacement fuse or wing set in it?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Sbach342Guy

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Regarding the alignment pins, I have to wonder if those wings were the same ones that were imported with that fuse? In other words, could that plane have a replacement fuse or wing set in it?
Has anyone ever tested the incidence of their Revolver? I just got a laser incidence meter but have yet to use it.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:13 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

btw - there's also a recent post in the "New Great Planes Revolver" thread about a new Rev 59 that had such bad wrinkles out of the box that it was laughable. Could be a trend??
Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Slow and Steady

The nice thing about buying from Tower is that they stand behind their product, usually no questions asked. They gave me a new DLE 55 when the engine failed approximatey 4 months after their repair. Sent me 2 pairs of replacement ailerons for my Revolver 59. And after receiving a 75 AX that had a grinding sound, they sent me a replacement before I sent the 1st one back. For me their service over the last 7 years has been exceptional.

Regarding the separation of a servo lead to the receiver. I use floss to wrap and secure all receiver connections. I also fill any open channel slots with left over servo plugs so that the floss doesn't stress any connections. It has worked really well so far.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Large revolver ??

Name:	Nl28595.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1834904  
Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: wahoo

Large revolver ??

Looks like the CG may be off some
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 AM
iflywhenican

Fellow flyers, I understand that Tower also has a warehouse out west, where temps are much hotter, so that may explain why the wrinkle problems are appearing. I to, have had some wrinkle problems with the last couple kits that I have purchased from them. I hate the fact that it takes me longer to get the wrinkles out of the covering that it does to build!! [>:]
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 AM
ahicks

Really! I love those that can think "out of the box", but c'mon, that thing's not going to fly worth a darn!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.