Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

That's what I did - had about 3/8" overlap on each side, extend the elevator all the way up, and pushed the extra down into the gap when closing the elevator. Seems that it will stay "down" now. Does not make too much "crinkling" noise when moving the elevator, either.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Widget
My Feedback: (1)

Pryor808: Nahhh,,,, Your fine! I might have been having an annal moment there, who knows??? (I've been ragged on before about bashing 'perfectly good airplanes'... My philosophy of 'question everything' goes for airplane design too...) And though not all, most of my "project" planes have turned out better than I planned! (You should see my "Twin Ultra-Stick 60 with with the 46FX engines out front on 'pods' on the fuse (not way out there on the wings) for easy 1-engine flying when 1 quits.) And Microdon2, Youre reading my mind! I have been thinking about an arresting cable set up and using 2 anchored fishing reels with heavy line, and I better shut up now lest ya'll cart me off to the looney bin,,,, Film at 11...
Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 AM
microdon2

Widet - I WAS kidding about the arresting cable - maybe you're not... - another option - what about some kind of brake? Or set up your ailerons as flaperons (?), where they both come up after landing, creating an airbrake. Could that also include elevators? I'm sure there are ways to do this. Another idea - create a cheap wheel brake - just need a flat disk \ surface on the inside hub and a cylander \ small servo to push an arm against it on both sides. Would be cool to engineer. I'd guess someone has already done this in the jet world.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Widget

I know you were kidding... But seriously? It's a cool idea about using the fishing reels with the drags set just so, but actually catching the cables is another thing. I chopped the ailerons in 1/2 on my bashed-to-the-max Hobbico Hobbistar MKIII 60 (Magnum 1.20 4 stroke) and made some barn-door flaps out of the inside portion that slow it down real nice, but it is more of a Trainer that lands slow enough anyway. Then again, a large chunk of concrete attached to a line that falls out the back of the airplane has been known to work wonders, but that's just rumor... [X(]
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 AM
microdon2

Parachute popping out of the tail! Would look cool.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:30 PM
wjcalhoun

Slats!
I posted a 'how-to' in my post 801; I'm sure others could give more details also
Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
pryor808

Twin ultra stick 60.. with twin 46's. that plane movessss!!!! I was at the field this morning and, a buddy of mine named John Kudrick has a
C-130 with twin 70 4-strokes. We couldn't get one of the engines started. This would have been fun to watch. The plane is a flying brick.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Widget

What got me seriously interested in Twins was my Dual Ace, God rest it's sole...[X(] Ya wanna talk FAST!!! But no matter what "they" say, the DA was NOT user-friendly on one engine, rolling into a death spiral in the blink of an eye. (enter Taps sound track here...)
Now, the parachute idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while, but the weight-penalty (chute, servo/activator/trap door, etc.) is more than I wanted to pay.
Anyway, ya'll been Great about me getting so far off the subject matter, so back to the Large Revolver, with landing hook, parachute and flaps... Just Kidding!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
microdon2

Flaps on a 59" would be cool. OR you could just wait for a 10-15mph headwind to slow you down.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
wjcalhoun

So Mike
Set up your radio to do 'flaperons'; it is straightforward, and will slow landing speeds (at least on FourStars and Extras)
Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

So Mike
Set up your radio to do 'flaperons'; it is straightforward, and will slow landing speeds (at least on FourStars and Extras)
I'm not so sure this would be a good idea on the Revolver. It actually slows down really nice on its own and you can carry a pretty steep angle of attack when landing without stalling. I suspect there is some washout at the wing tips that enables this although I've never measured for this or even bothered to look at it closely enough to verify. Adding flaperons could actually negate the effect of any washout, not allowing for the same angle of attack, causing the plane to tip stall easier and possibly even necessitate landing faster. You could also lose some aileron effectiveness which might not be a good thing. Just my opinion of course.

True flaps toward the wing root would probably be the most beneficial in slowing the plane down even more. I've heard that some people have also had good luck deflecting the ailerons upward on landings to act as spoilers. This supposedly doesn't have the negative side effects of flaperons and helps the plane slow down. Never done the spoilers myself though.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

???
Flaperons a bad thing..?this is a first.

Flaperons at as spoilers on the ground but do slow down landing speeds. Iuse them on my Yak 55 10e and they work just fine at slowing down a taper wing aircraft without any adverse effects on handling on the approach.
Programming in Spoilerons is simple as well, i assign channel 5 switch and add in someup elevator to the mix when the switch is flipped.
Lands slow and slows down just nicely.
Going to use the same setup on my Escapade and Stik.

Stik has separate flaps but working the ailerons as spoilerons when increase drag to slow down once on the ground.

I can;t see why flaperons on the revolver will be an issue.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 AM
pryor808

TimBle.

Your are correct, flaperons on a revolverare not needed. I am pretty sure they are just kidding (I hope). And, if you guys are being serious, you should have picked up a Senior Telemaster....
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM
TimBle

well not sure why flaperons are needed on any aerobat, the wing loading is low enough so just fly them in and they stop rolling pretty quickly.

On planes with higher wing loading like Scale Warbirds I can see the absolute need for flaperons or proper flaps because if you fly them too slow they revert to kit form.

Flaperons on a revolver will work just fine to slow it down even further for landing, but why?

From what I can see, its stall speed is quite low compared to say a Pulse XT or GP Escapade.
\Even cmparing it too a Pilot RC Extra 260 or a Giles 202 it can fly pretty slow and therefore can land slow.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Slats!

If I have a little wind or a lot it is no issue landing, actually very easy when you get used to it but when its dead calm it floats.

I used Jets suggestion of Spoilers and I have to say they are mint when there is no breeze.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM
landeck

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

So Mike
What I think he means is use the flaperon function to set up air brakes (also called spoilers) which flex the ailerons up together in stead of down. This slows the plane down and decreases lift letting the plane settle in without floating. Air brakes do not increase the danger of a tip stall since it is like adding wash out at the tips. They work great on low wing loaded planes that tend to float or for slowing down a sport plane that is coming in too hot.

Bruce
Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 AM
microdon2

I don't think flaps \ flaperons are needed on the Rev 70, as the plane has a nice glide ratio - on approach it pretty much floats in. ANd on the 59" - it lands quicker than the 70, but it's fine. I think this discussion started cause Widget mentioned he had a short runway and we were discussing ways to slow his landings down.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Slats!

I have to clear a freagan fence and stop it before another fence. Or the other runway clear a fence and stop before the ditch with the river.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Slats!

I have to clear a freagan fence and stop it before another fence. Or the other runway clear a fence and stop before the ditch with the river.
...and then one time a "freagan" moose walked out onto the runway and totaled my plane when I hit his antlers!
Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
pryor808

mustang67,

You have Moose in NC????

Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Widget

Collision with moose antlers? Heck! One of my trophy largemouth bass tore off one of my floats last summer, and then I caught him later that week with a hook tied to the remaining float, but he tasted like? Styrofoam!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 AM
pryor808

Your funny Widget!!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: pryor808

mustang67,

You have Moose in NC????

No, I was putting a twist into our Canadian freind, Slats, story.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 AM
microdon2

We DO have some Canadian Geese here in lower NY that have caused a few problems...
Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM
pryor808

We have osprey's here on Long Island that follow the electrics....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.