Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Stable, but aerobatic, plane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Stable, but aerobatic, plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 03:37 PM
BackAfter20
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stable, but aerobatic, plane

I am looking for my first aerobatic plane. I purchased a Super Stearman, but have been told it is advanced, and not a good 3rd plane, so it remains in its box.

I wanted a GP Cap 232, but time restrictions limit me to ARFs.

Does anyone have an ARF aerobatic plane that is similar to the GP Cap 232 - docile landing and stable, but very aerobatic when you want it to be?

Do any of the .40 - .90 sized Cap 232's, Giles, or Extras from Yellow, Kyosho, or World Models fit this bill?
Old 04-04-2002, 03:51 PM
planelazy

There are many out there that would fill your needs but one is the Sig Cap 232.It is 1/5th scale and it is built very light which is good and can be bad if you don't use throttle management.So you have to take it easy with full throttle or pieces will start falling off but it lands stable and slow.I just sold the one i had to a friend last year and he is just getting into some aerobatic,s.He was a little reluctant when i offered it to him for sale but now he loves it.I did not really want to get rid of it but have an Aeroworks 36% Edge that i really like and i had to clear things out.The cap has a Saito 150 on it which flys it fine.Hope this helps.Tim.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:01 PM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a cap231, depending on the person (their learning curve) the cap might be too snappy for a first time aerobatic plane.
My cap is bad for snapping even at almost half throttle. She just falls out of the sky if you're not easy with the elevator, not to mention it likes to come in HOT!.
I would look into something like the Hangar9 UltraStick 40. It's stable and alot easier to land than a cap.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:34 PM
shill
My Feedback: (22)

An Edge 540 is about as stable of an aerobatic plane as you can get. You might want to try the 60 to 90 size arf edge from aeroworks.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:35 PM
BackAfter20

I don't see Cap 232 on Sig's website or Tower's website. If powered by a Saito 150, that will probably too costly for now.

I am looking for something 40 - sized because I can free up the OS 46 FX on my Smoothie by replacing it with my trainer's Magnum 46. If I found a great 60 - 90 sized plane, I can still buy that size engine for around $150 or less.

I'm flying a low-wing plane now. Wouldn't the stick planes will be on-par with that as far as difficulty goes?

The reason I mention Yellow, Kyosho, and World Models is that they seem to get consistent great reviews everywhere.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:39 PM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

World Models T-34 flies very well. Cheap and durable. Also CG Tiger ARF. Lanier Citabria but it does have some coupling issues but looks great.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:49 PM
shill
My Feedback: (22)

Here is Aeroworks website www.aero-works.net
I have had and flown the 40% Edge 540 I am building a 39% 540T now and my flying buddy has the 33& 540T arf and it is a real good stable airplane I have not flown the small one but it should be a good stable airplane.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:12 PM
RSchrock

I have the Aeroworks Edge540T in the 60-90 size. It is a great flyer, but is currently unavailable (propbably til June). Look at World Models - their ARF's are top notch. They have a 60-90 size Super Chipmunk that is an awesome plane. It's a little different that the run of the mill Cap, Extra, Edge, etc. It's very easy to assemble, very areobatic, yet very docile when you want it to be. It slows down to land like a trainer. It's a super airplane, but requires a larger engine than you may want right now.

There is a current post about Kangke kits going also. I don't own one, but based on the price mentioned in the current post, I may soon They make several models in the 40 and 60 class.

Have you thought about the SIG Somethin' Extra? A good BB 46 will fly it great!. It is very aerobatic, yet will slow down with those thick wings and land at a fast walking pace. They are a very fun plane that comes in a great ARF.

(By the way, the SIG kit mentioned above is a CAP 231 EX. I have that plane with a Saito 180 - It's the best flyer I have).
Old 04-04-2002, 06:45 PM
planelazy

Sorry,I made a boo boo.It is a Sig Cap 231 Ex.Too many planes. Tim.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default If I was looking for a 3rd plane in the .40 range I would......

Look at these in this order:

40 size Ultra Stick
Morris Knife or Top Cap (is a real ***** cat when toned down - but can be a real performer when set on the wild side)
40 size Extra 300 ARF
30 size Yellow ARF's (I hear they are really .40 size ships)

Pug
Old 04-04-2002, 06:58 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I second Anthony on the World Models T-34. It is a very capable little plane......and the price is right. A Hangar 9 or World Models Super Stunts 40-sized stick would be good too.

Mike
Old 04-04-2002, 07:52 PM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

Default ARF Plane

I would highly recommend the H9 Sport Cap. I have one of these as a throw around aircraft and it is well built and well covered. I would also recomend any of the Yellow Aircraft birds. I do not have any first hand experience but from what I have heard and seen of these birds they are top notch. If you go with the H9 Cap I would recommend a good 60-90 size motor for unlimited vertical. If you want to sport fly a good .46 would be perfect maybe a Thunder Tiger 46 PRo for around $70.00.

Chris
Old 04-04-2002, 08:07 PM
sherman-RCU
My Feedback: (19)

I can personally vouch for the TopCap! Slow and steady to inverted climbing flat spins! Best of both worlds. It even comes in an ARF now for $180. In my 12 years of flying I've built a good 25 models and this little puppy is my absolute favorite to fly.
Whatever you get, good luck!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2002, 08:37 PM
matwing

My first plane I bought was a Great Planes Extra 300X ARF. It's built around an OS46FX so that was the engine I bought for it. I had already flown RC before but had been away from the hobby for 15 years. Someone advised me to start with a trainer first so I bought an LT40. I finally decided to finish the Extra and it's the nicest of my planes! It flies where you point it and has lots of power. I find it very docile and it lands at a slow enough speed. So far it hasn't shown any bad habits and the kit is very well made and easy to assemble. The only thing I didn't install was the wheel pants because I fly on a grass field. If you have an OS46FX it fit's perfectly with the original muffler! Does any aerobatics you want including a nice knifeedge when you're ready to try... Good luck with whatever you choose! Johnny Matwing
Old 04-04-2002, 09:03 PM
BackAfter20

Thanks for all of your replies!

Which of these planes would be enough preparation to fly the Super Stearman?
Old 04-04-2002, 09:18 PM
Quickie
My Feedback: (4)

Default Super Stearman

Personally I think you should put the Super Stearman together with the 52 FS you have and fly it. Almost all the planes that have been mentioned are either A: VERY Expensive or B: Much more unstable than your Stearman. The Stearman flies VERY stable like most Bipes do and has light wingloading as long as you don't go insane on engine size. Stock Kyosho Stearmans only have lower ailerons and the tail feathers aren't radical. You'll be able to basic maneuvers but the plane won't get Radical (that takes modifications). I say fly the stearman! Just keep in mind the one "issue" bipes have in that they slow down fast when you pull the power so keep a little power on landings and if it deadsticks don't try to glide to the next county, get it on the ground ASAP.
Old 04-05-2002, 02:32 PM
BackAfter20

When I read the review of the Stearman, they said it flies "stable, for a fast reacting bipe". I bought the Stearman because of its great review, and because it sounded like it wouldn't be such a handful to fly (and because it's really pretty). Then I was told by product support that it is Advanced, and not suitable for a 2nd or 3rd plane.

Is it stable, but fast reacting? Should I just reduce the throw rates? What constitutes an advanced plane? Help! The engine I have for it is a Magnum 52 FS.

I've read that RF G2 is supposed to be realistic. I can make the RF PT40 mimick my SuperStar pretty closely by moving its CG back and using a tiny motor. I've made the RF Space Walker mimick my Smoothie by making it smaller, adding weight, putting the CG to 0, and putting in a smaller motor. I can fly the heck out of the biplane on RF. Are the RF biplane's characteristics close to that of the Super Stearman?
Old 04-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

I have flown the Koysho Super Stearman with the OS 52FS,and it did fly well,however we have two of them at our feild,one inthe PT17 version and the other in the orange and white version,BOTH planes had wing incidence problems with the top wing,I am not sure if it was + or-,but both planes jumped off the runway as soon as throttle was applied and kept climbing,I had to fly with down elevator to keep it level and also to land.After we found the incidence problem they both did fine.I would think you could probally handle it,but check that incidence before that first flight.You could always get a more experienced pilot to fly it with you or maybe even use the cord for the first flight.Both of the guys who had the ones I mentioned used this as their second plane and seem to have done fine.If you would like to try something elese,my second plane was the GP Extra 300s ARF,it is a very well built and nice looking plane.It flies very well and lands well,it doesn't land like a trainer but it is pretty straight forward with a little bit of speed.It is covered with Monokote and I think it is about $189.00.Good luck,and be sure to check that incidence.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:49 PM
Ed_Moorman

Default 1st Acro Plane

You didn't mention what your first 2 planes were or what you feel your capabilities are. These 2 items can help us in giving our advice.

I write the Fun Aerobatics column for R/C Report magazine and just from what you have said so far, I would recommend any Stick. All, again, all tapered and swept wing planes will tip stall before an equivalent straight wing plane. If you are coming out of a couple of trainer type planes, you can't beat a Stick. the Ultra Stick would be tops, but there is the Big Stick from Great Planes and the Lucky Stick from Hobby People, all in ARFs. With a Stick you can do anything from shooting landings to flat spins. With the Ultra Stick you may do some basic 3D stuff.

I know high wing planes aren't glamerous, but a Stick will fly in any weather with just about any power. I have a Joss Stick (60 sized Lucky Stick)with Magnum 1.08 power myself, in addition to fun fly planes and giants. When there is a low ceiling, wind or fog or when I just want to beat up the sky, I take the Joss.

If you are looking for other alternatives, try the Great Planes Easy Sport or the Goldberg Tiger 2 ARFs.

Biplanes can be tricky. There are 2 wings to adjust and they tend to be high drag which requires you to normally use more power on landing, as opposed to chopping the throttle and coasting down to the deck.

Most all aerobatic performance is in the pilot, not the plane. There are many good planes and you can learn acro with any of them.

If you have any more questions, please e-mail.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:06 AM
Fastsky

Default CG Tiger 2

I really like the new Tiger 2 ARF. It has been set up for dual ailerons, and is ready to use for either trike or tail dragger setup. IT will fly pretty fast, is more aerobatic than a 4* and lands nice and slow. Its also a nice size fuse, easy to see in the air.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:28 AM
davo74

The hangar 9 advance 40 is a good low wing intro plane as well, i had one with an os 61sr on it and it was a blast! has no bad habits, and does intro acrobatics well.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:43 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

As was stated, a lot depends on you. If you are average, a great 2nd or 3rd plane is a Sig 4 Star 60 ARF--Depending on the budget a 4 stroke would be one of you best RC experiences on this bird--also--a CG Tiger 2 would not be a bad choice. (ps--I have owned a basket full of aerobatic bipes from EAA Bipe, Ultimates, Jungmans, Weeks and Pitts. Don't be intimadated-- It is different--not worse--just different. Much of it is in the mind. All planes are pretty much the same. Pay attention and fly it fast enough to keep wind under the wing-in this case wings. It is just a hobby. Have fun)
Old 11-17-2002, 02:53 AM
OUTCAST

Originally posted by BackAfter20
When I read the review of the Stearman, they said it flies "stable, for a fast reacting bipe".
I have flown this plane several times, and it's a handful. It's twitchy, very quick and sensitive. It also doesn't care much for three point landings, it likes to come in on the wheels. This is not a flaw in the design, its the way small hot bipes usually fly. Once you get to the point where you can handle it, it's really a fun little plane. I recommend a fun fly design to get ready for it, check out the Kangke SK-50, or the GP Dazzler, a Hots or Big Stick 40 will also do.
Old 11-17-2002, 03:20 AM
bdtsr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

H9 Advanced 40, Tiger 2 ARF, Kangke 232 Sport (straight wing). You may also want to look at the GP Ultra Sport 40 Plus when available. The original was a great plane. I wound up with a Futaba Acrostar, it had a fatal accident during a low knife edge pass. Wish I could find another!
Old 11-17-2002, 03:32 AM
rvd

bdtsr is right on the money!

The UltraSport is a EXCELLENT flying airplane and VERY forgiving.
I have the 40 and 60 size ultrasports and they are great.

They can be set up to fly ULTRA HOT or super smooth and docile.
It's one of those planes that will always be at field with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.