Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Aresti

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Aresti

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Leobid-rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Aresti

Just started building a Hangar 9 Aresti 40 and noticed some problems.

When installing the horizontal and vertical stabs they tell you to cut the ultra coat covering to expose the wood. This is good but when you go to install them into the fuselage the plastic film catches and doesn't go into the opening and buckles up. I tried to iron the ultra coat in place after cutting it away with some success.

I also plan to mount the engine upright rather inverted as shown in the plans. Will I have any problems with this engine mounting change.
Leo
Old 07-18-2003, 01:50 AM
sdt22

Default Hangar 9 Aresti

I'm not sure that you'll have problems with mounting the engine inverted, but IMO it will look rather funny. What engine are you running in it. My saito 72 loves it's upside-down home in my Aresti. You shouldn't worry about inverted engine performance. Once everything is adjusted your engine will run just as well.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Leobid-rc

Default Hangar 9 Aresti

I've never had luck with inverted engines. They never start, flood easily and won't stay running.
I have an OS 45 that I might use or I might buy the Saito 56.

I might try to run my OS on a test stand and see if I can get it running to my liking before I put it in the fuselage.

I read all the threads about the aresti. Mine came missing the elevators. I called New Horizon and they are sending out a new tail kit.
Leo
Old 08-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Leobid-rc

Default Hangar 9 Aresti

Been flying my Aresti. Had it out twice. Flies great. The inverted engine (O.S. 46 FX) starts a little hard though. If I put the plane in a cradle, wings facing up, engine up, then it starts fine and fly fine after that.

I put a Sullivan fueler on and that seems to help.

Leo
Old 08-23-2003, 09:13 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default Hangar 9 Aresti

I have 2 Saito 56's that are inverted and they run great. Install a remote glow starter and it will make things easier. Please don't mount your engine upright, it will ruin the looks of a pretty airplane. Besides the fuel take height in the Aresti has been set for an inverted installation.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:10 AM
Leobid-rc

Default Hangar 9 Aresti

I think I know what you mean by a remote starter. A cap that attaches to the glow plug and then a wire that leads to a side mounted adapter for the glow starter wire from the field box. I used one of these on a 4 stroke that was also inside a cowl and it worked fine.

I don't think you mean an on board glow driver.

The first time I had the Aresti out it started fine inverted. The second flying day it would carank and crank and not start even though the glow driver meter was in the green. When I flipped the plane over it started right up. Must have been flooded.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:27 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default Hangar 9 Aresti

What I do is when ever I'm done flying for the day I drain the tank and start the engine. Let it run till it dies on its own, that way your plug doesn't end up sitting in oil. I didn't mean an on board glow driver just a remote plug.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:57 AM
Leobid-rc

Default Hangar 9 Aresti

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that next week when I go flying.

Leo
Old 01-03-2004, 07:36 PM
DeLano

Default RE: Hangar 9 Aresti

I've also experienced problems with flooding with the inverted engine (magnum XLS 52A). I had problems with it siphoning. I turned the fuel tank around so it will fit lower in the fuse. It stopped the siphoning problem but I have not ran it since.

I also had the covering wrinkle when I installed the rear stab. Then I tried to iron it out only to have it pull away and expose the balsa. I fixed this by adding some red and white striping over the exposed area and found it looked as good or better than original.

Hope to fly it after the snow leaves in the spring.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Leobid-rc

Default RE: Hangar 9 Aresti

Crashed my smothie on a slow landing