Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Extra 30 or Cap 232?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Extra 30 or Cap 232?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:30 AM
russellk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 30 or Cap 232?

I'm tying to decide between a Extra 300 Sports 30 or a Cap 232 as my second plane.

I'm quite partial to World Models ARFs, having trained on their WorldStar 40 (which I recently ploughed, inverted into the ground at full throttle - I put it down to stupidity than inherent lack of skill, I'd like to think).

I've got an old ASP .40 which runs very well, performing similarly to an OS 46 fx, which I think would pull the Cap 232 around the sky quite well. The Extra looks nice, and I've heard nice things about it, and get the impression my 40 would do quite well in it too.

Can anyone explain the differences between these 2 planes?

Russell.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:07 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Basically, the Extra is a more stable aircraft than the Cap. The Cap is better for some aerobatics due to its unstability, but the Extra can hold its own also.

If its your 2nd plane, I would suggest the Extra instead of the Cap. Or you may want to consider the Edge 540, which is very stable at low speeds.

Also watch out for the control throws you set up initially, as these planes are all sensitive. Use either dual rates or expo till you get used to the planes.

Being in Australia, you would be able to get the Phoenix models Scanner, which is a good low wing plane, stable and cheap. However it does not look as good as the planes you are interested in. But do keep in mind that you will want to avoid the Cap due to its inherent instability, but then again, if your one of those naturally gifted pilots, it may not be a problem for you.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:33 AM
russellk

Thanks MalaysianFlyer - that's pretty much exactly the kind of advice I was looking for

I think I'm a reasonable flier (except for high speed inverted dives...), and while I'd like something to extend my skills, I don't want to overstep my capabilities too far.

I'll have a hunt about for the Scanner. I like the look of the Edge 540 - though not the sheer number of decals on the Vmar version, but I imagine they're optional.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:23 PM
sport10

The Cap 232,Extra 300, and the Edge 540 really should be more of a third plane because they will not be very forgiving and need a pilot that is thinking ahead of the plane. What you need is a transition plane. Give the Sig Something Extra a look before going to a scale type plane like the Edge or Extra. It will be alot more docile on low rates but can still tear up the sky on high rates. A strong fourstroke would also be great on it too like a Satio .72.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:00 PM
russellk

Having spoken to a few people today, I'm getting the impression these planes might be something of a stretch. However, the alternatives that have been suggested are sticks or FunFlys, which do fly very well, but look (to me) too ugly to want to fly, and for me, motivation is a significant factor.

I've seen the Sig Something Extra mentioned, but Sig planes don't seem to be very popular in Australia. Can anyone suggest a similar style of plane?

Russell.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:00 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check out the folks over at www.VectorFlight.com They have a nice line of planes in various sizes that mgiht fit the bill. I have dealt with them and they are great. I have yet to hear anything negative from them. They offer an Edge, Extra, CAP and a Sukhoi

other styles might be something in between a full on aeribat bird. Hanger 9 makes a PC-9 thats really nice. Maybe a semi-scale Warbird 40-60 size. The choices are endless...
Old 07-29-2003, 01:05 AM
MalaysianFlyer

The edge540 has the best slow speed characteristics of the lot, you just have to ensure its set up right (throws). However bear in mind that looks are nice, but your real goal here is to improve your skills. You should have access to the various ARF's available from Vietnam, which are cheaper nad have a reasonable range of models. Of course the quality is not as good as the big names like Sig and such, but its less painful on the wallet.

If you feel you really need the looks of the plane to give you an incentive, go for the edge. The slow speed stability is the main trait you look for in a 2nd plane.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2003, 02:24 AM
russellk

I've been looking this morning at the PC-9 - available as an ARF from both VMAR and Seagull. It seems like and attractive option, but would this be an easier than an Edge 540?

From my limited understanding of aeroplane behaviour, I get the impression that the significant factors in ease of flight (assuming minimal dihedral - my previous plane had none) are wing loading and the taper of the wing, the former defining the stall speed, and the latter defining the roll characteristics or "twitchiness".

Am I right in thinking the Edge 540 and PC-9 have easier attributes than the Extra and Cap 232?

Russell.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:43 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russell good find. The Seagull model one is apparently better due to some build quality issues discovered by some of the other forum members. Im getting one myself just as a fun fly
Old 07-29-2003, 05:28 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Edge 540 would be better than the PC-9. I had the seagull PC-9, watch out because it is fast, and is not an ideal 2nd airplane due to its quirky handling. One of the guys I fly with actually bought one as a second airplane, and he had a lot of trouble with it, a few crashes before it finally got totalled.

If you still feel worried, then get yourself a sim, like CSM or G2, and that should give you enough practise and confidence to fly these planes. My sim has saved me big bucks!!!!