RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   u-can-do 60 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1488953-u-can-do-60-a.html)

kroflite54 02-02-2004 11:32 PM

RE: u-can-do 60

Thanks RFW for the very informative replies.

Just want to pass an article i read onto you and anyone else using an inverted four stroke.From what i read 'there is a problems with being able to drain the crankcase oil sump on an inverted fs engine.The atricle says to get a 1oz tank and connect a fuel line from the tank to the crankcase drain.fasten the tank somwhere on the front near the engine.when engine is running it blows the excess oil into the tank.when tank gets near full 'just drain it.i think i'll try this myself .just an article i ran across.

ken

AcroJo 02-03-2004 09:03 AM

RE: u-can-do 60 (reply to Lord Lucan)

ORIGINAL: rfw1953

Matt, get your butt in gear and get your birds finished. I thought I took a long time to assemble one. ;) Put those pictures on the Giles thread and let me see how she finished out for you. By the way, I didn't put any offset in my U-Can-Do. Joe got me thinking about this. I hope I didn't miss something. I went back to the directions and they don't call for any. The mount I am using doesn't have any either. Hm.........
Lord, The reason for GP indicating no need for right thrust is the fact that they engineered an offset in the vertical stab. It can be recognized with some measurements from the outside of the fuse into the stab. It equals app 1/16" which we discussed in depth on the other UCD thread. In reality, with some of the larger engines it has proved to be inadequet to say the least. Requireing the minimum of at least 3 degrees. Joe

lord lucan 02-03-2004 05:14 PM

Roger...Matt...Joe ! Right,gona have a walk round this mixing thing ...Roger,exactly what functions do you believe i should i end up mixing ? and on / off switchable with what ? is this going to give me what you guys call 'ailevators' ? could have slight English/American 'technical missalignments' ? ! no pblem though ! makes it all the more interesting ! The Futaba manual is slightly different in how it describes this process...your instructions seem clearer & easier to grasp .... right...to have begun is half the task... "I may be gone sometime...!"
regards ...Dave

AcroJo 02-03-2004 05:37 PM

Dave, Check out the 3D section on Horrizon Hobby's site. They give detailed info on technique and set up. Lotsa good stuff. Joe

rfw1953 02-04-2004 07:47 PM

RE:Maiden Flight Today

1 Attachment(s)
The temp hit 50 around 2:00 so I headed out to the field for the maiden flight. I had adjusted the servo horns so they were pointing towards the stab and then figured out a way to adjust for the off centered elevator servos. I adjusted the control horns so the push/pull rods were level with the servo horns and then adjusted the control horn connector to the short push/pull rod to take out the difference in the throw. For fine-tuning I used sub-trim to get them perfect on one servo only. This mechanical with sub-trim adjustment allowed me then to use equal throw programming when mixing in the Tx. The benefit is that I now can adjust the throws in the Tx. without having to counter for the servos being off centered. The wonders of a programmable Tx.

The maiden flight went very well. I had my friend Chuck along for help just in case. We had a few mishaps form the get go. For some reason that I haven't determined yet, the remote glow failed after starting the engine one time. Will have to check this out to see if their is a ground issue or if the lead into the remote glow came lose. Then one of my mounting blocks for the cowling came lose when starting the engine. Hm....poor epoxy job on my part but easily fixable.

I had 100% throws to ailerons and 60% to the elevators with 100% to the rudder. Way too much aileron for the low settings. She would spin on a dime and was very touchy on the ailerons. Brought the ailerons back down to 55%, changed the rudder to 110% and left the elevators at 60%, so I can get a good feel for the airplane. Even with these settings she was very responsive.

I didn't try anything wild and crazy on on my first flights because I wanted to get the feel for the airplane. The other stuff will come. Just flew her around for a while to let the engine break in and to get the feel for how she flies. Take off was simple at about 1/2 throttle in about 30 feet she was airborne. Tracks very well down the runway even in an 8-10 mph crosswind. Very stable. Flies very easily at very low speeds and goes easily vertical with the 91 Surpass. Nice engine for this airplane IMHO. Landing was just as gentle and easy. She will float with the elevators holding the nose up to make a nice touch down. Just a nice overall airplane, but then I took it very easy on my first flights.

AcroJo 02-04-2004 08:06 PM

RE: RE:Maiden Flight Today

Roger, Congrats man. Looks great! And you brought it home to boot. Try going lower on your rates, don't let this kitten fool you. It can get out of attitude just as quick as it responds. Ease into the higher settings. Good luck and keep us posted. Joe

lord lucan 02-08-2004 12:45 AM

Gents...Programming sorted,spot on ! Thx... Oh, while i think about it,to kill any worries bout the antenna down the centre of the fuze,use ferrite rings on those 3 lonnnng sevo ext'ns (make ext'n yourself to suit )...using this on my GP extra 300 .60 bird, as well as swappin the steel push rods for C/F ,will allso use ferrite rings on aileron servo ext'ns...Dave

rfw1953 02-08-2004 01:14 AM

Ferret rings? Have any pictures? Haven't heard of these. I kept the antenna in the fuse, did a long range check with no interference noted.

I do have a correction to make. I stated in my maiden flight post that I had tried to compensate for the elevator servos being offset by setting the control arm connectors at different levels on the control arms. This was correct. For fine-tuning I had used sub-trim to get the elevators perfect. This too was accurate, but not necessary. Had I noticed earlier then I would have realized that the knob on channel 7 was not centered. It was off center one click. Once I centered it, and adjusted mechanically, I was able to take out all of the sub-trim. Da. No big deal, but the sub-trim was not necessary had I first made sure the knobs were centered.

lord lucan 02-08-2004 08:29 AM

Roger... Er.... Have a quick glance on Tower's site...Tower stock # LXDKP6..or Futaba part no..AEC19...you can usualy buy the little Ferite ring ( bit with all the wires looped through) thingy for about a tenth of that price ......the big thermal seekers use these a lot. They argue that range checking on the ground is one thing....interference A.G.L is another..? Oh ! the channel 7 dial thing nearly cought me out too... cheers,Dave

bobplay33 02-20-2004 12:32 AM

Hi Joe,
I apreciate your pics and posts. Your rudder servo installation is very interesting; but, I notice that your servo arm length is long while the rudder horn is short. That seems the reverse of what it should be to maximize torque advantage, no?
Bob

autoguns 02-20-2004 12:54 AM

I used a 91 fs in mine for a long time ,It's a good combo and ran fine inverted After I got used to the plane and began hovering it, I wanted more power so I installed a YS110FZ ,and wow! what a difference, It will hover at 1/3 rd throttle and the 110 fit in he same mount as the 91 ...an easy swap....I love this plane....when you install the tank I would use a seamless tank if you plan on upgrading the motor to a pumped engine like the YS110 at a later date ...As far as the landing gear I just cut a small hatch in the top of the fuse under the canopy and it made the mod's very easy to get at the landing gear mount ...after I beefed it up, I just recovered the small hatch ,smoked the canopy ,and have had no problem's just fun.....JW

AcroJo 02-20-2004 04:39 PM

Bob, do not be fooled by the digital imagry, in reality they are of equal length. Since that pic, I've gone digital w/ DS811s all around and a DS8231 on the rudder. What a flapper. Can't wait to try it. Joe

lord lucan 02-20-2004 04:57 PM

Gents...
Have'nt Great planes put out massive warning about putting an engine of over.91 size (four or two stroke) ito the UCD .60... or " Catostrophick " failure could occur.. , christ, i dont think i can even spell it ,let alone comprehend what it could mean..?..! ...Dave.

AcroJo 02-20-2004 05:16 PM

"Catastrophic" is in the 3D vocabulary. 91, 100, 110 whats the difference. Aside from the Saito 100 being lighter than the 91 and realizing a little more snot as well, it can bring me to only one conclusion........... I want a YS110! Joe

SunShyne 02-20-2004 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: cumn thru

"Catastrophic" is in the 3D vocabulary. 91, 100, 110 whats the difference. Aside from the Saito 100 being lighter than the 91 and realizing a little more snot as well, it can bring me to only one conclusion........... I want a YS110! Joe

Amen Father Joe... [sm=thumbup.gif]

AcroJo 02-20-2004 07:00 PM

I didn't think anyone knew that I am a priest......in the "Ministry of Aviation". Bless you my son. Joe

lord lucan 02-20-2004 11:55 PM

Fogive me father for i ( Tis my birthday today....hence i'm alowed to do anything my little heart desires...fat chance..! ) am about to sin...How much was a YS 1.10.....?...it'l just ..'drop straight in'...i dont HAVE to use full throttle....you lot are becoming a bad influence, i'm going over to the dark side..! Dave.

rfw1953 02-21-2004 12:21 AM

LOL ----- Go for it. My 91 Surpass does fine, but to be honest, it could have more vertical power. I never fly wot at level flight or in a dive anyway. This plane likes slow speeds, but on vertical you need to varoom.........:D

autoguns 02-21-2004 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The ys 110fz is the ticket for this plane , it will drop right in the same mount as the os 91 fs ....I paid more for mine because I had to be the 1st to have one in Alaska....BWHAHAHAHAHAHA....Iv'e heard that chief has them for 330.00 or so ..I'm swinging a APC 16x6 wide chord prop, it turns it with no problem, it could probably turn a bigger prop but you my have to put larger tire's on it for more ground clearance, I would also use the sullivan tail wheel assembly Not he POS that comes with the plane...I used a GP 1/4 scale tail wheel assembly that work's great but the throw's are not max because of the steering arm, the sullivan should allow you to max out the throw's with no binding.....I wish I would have looked at this site before I put mine together .....It would have been built different/better....I do have a spare that IS going to have all the mod's from day 1.....as far as cata,,,cata ....okay crashing , just remember they all have that dam exploration date inside .... Oya on THE DARK SIDE......JW

ORIGINAL: lord lucan

Fogive me father for i ( Tis my birthday today....hence i'm alowed to do anything my little heart desires...fat chance..! ) am about to sin...How much was a YS 1.10.....?...it'l just ..'drop straight in'...i dont HAVE to use full throttle....you lot are becoming a bad influence, i'm going over to the dark side..! Dave.

AcroJo 02-21-2004 11:33 AM

You will recieve complete absolution my son, for the sin of "power gluttony" provided, you use the torque beholding of the 110 for the betterment of 3D in the name of the "Ministry of Avaition". I too am a sinner for I just placed an order for a YS110. I was going to go with a regulator on my Saito, so I could place the tank on the CG. With the cost of a 110 it works out about the same as a Saito 100 with a regulator. I'm sure I'll find a home for the 100. Anybody know off hand the weight of the 110. I know the Saito is about 21 oz. Joe

autoguns 02-21-2004 12:02 PM

It weigh's 730gram's Or 26.07oz's of sin for prop spin....JW

SunShyne 02-21-2004 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: cumn thru

You will recieve complete absolution my son, for the sin of "power gluttony" provided, you use the torque beholding of the 110 for the betterment of 3D in the name of the "Ministry of Avaition". I too am a sinner for I just placed an order for a YS110. I was going to go with a regulator on my Saito, so I could place the tank on the CG. With the cost of a 110 it works out about the same as a Saito 100 with a regulator. I'm sure I'll find a home for the 100. Anybody know off hand the weight of the 110. I know the Saito is about 21 oz. Joe

Joe where did you get your YS from? I want to look for a used one next month when I have some free cash to spend.

AcroJo 02-21-2004 01:13 PM

Thanks J-dubya, I could easily compensate for that additional 6oz. by strategically placing my battery. This looks promising. Just picked up some pinned hinges and I got an idea on strengthening the fire wall with some aluminum 4/40 threaded rod. I want to tee nut them to the firewall and run them in to the next former with 4/40 nuts and washers, like tension rods. There is already all the tri stock on the firewall that it will take, right from the manufacturer. Is the YS any longer than the Saito from back to spinner?

Matt, I ordered it from my LHS and its about $339.00 Thats about the same as Chief Aircraft but there is no shipping charge. I'm a little leary of used engines......I got a Saito 100 that I could sell you cheap. If it makes you feel any better, I won't tell you that it ate dirt four times already. Joe

autoguns 02-21-2004 02:13 PM

Otay, I must put on my 45power binocular's I call glasses and read the fine print.....It's,,, from the back of the Supercharger to the prop washer it's 120.7mm ...the mounting hole's are 25mm x 52mm center to center ,and from the center of the forward mounting hole to the prop washer it's 57mm.... the engine case is 43mm wide ( not including the mounting tab's) and 21.5mm from the bottom of the case to the bottom of the mounting tab's with a overall height of 124mm top to bottom..... Sound's like the 4-40 rod idea will work quite nicely I must add that to the list of mod's the 2nd UCD3D is getten ....I'm so glad I thought of that....HAHAHAHA. You won't be disappointed with the YS ....WOWA RED ALERT!!!!!!!! ...I just went through the note's I made when I built the 1st UCD3D and I mounted the engine at 6 and 1/8" from the fire wall instead of the 5 and 7/8" the manual call's for !!!!!!!!! I did this because the cowling didn't line up properly as per my note's ...I must go outside and start kickin my own ***** for that mistake...B right back.....Okay there.....I must sincerely apologize for my error....JW

AcroJo 02-21-2004 02:34 PM

Thanks J-dubya, When did Alaska break away from the lower 48 and convert to metric? Joe