RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

Magnus76 02-14-2009 05:01 PM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

1 Attachment(s)
Now my retracts has arrived (Thank you Tomas at VQ Warbirds) exellent service and quick shipping .

So now i have done some more on the plane to night

Throttle pushrod.retracts and nacelle on the left wing are done see if i can do the right tomorrow

HAPPY VALENTINE EVERYONE [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

cobi.p 02-14-2009 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
greeting to you all .
well the time has come for the TF b-25 to be presented in israel ! ( i think it's the first one )

i have a very small place to work and i'm going with 2 RCV 91 CD for the power .

i have just opened the box so i'm sure i'm not going to show something new .

the first photo's of my place and the box

cheers - cobi

CCFPILOT 02-14-2009 06:29 PM

Nice going cobi.p. We'll be watching your progress and good luck on your maiden flight in a couple of months. I know TF says 50 hrs, but I think I took 100.

PA BEN 02-15-2009 08:36 AM

Just reading this thread and thought I'd post some pictures. These guys come to town every other year.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...7/100_1094.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...7/100_1110.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...7/100_1111.jpg

krproton 02-15-2009 09:19 AM

Nice pics PA BEN.

My brother is a photographer and was shooting pictures of an airshowe in Grand Rapids, MI a few years ago. There was a B-25 there (I forget which one, but it was all silver or chrome). So my brother and one of his daughters were going to take a ferry across lake Michigan to visit some family, and the B-25 crew were going to the same place, so they gave my brother and his daughter a ride instead him having to take the ferry. Pretty cool!

krproton 02-15-2009 09:21 AM

Thanks for the pics cobi.

You know what, your building area is only a little smaller than mine! [sm=what_smile.gif]

I hope your build goes well and feel free to post as many pictures as you want.

Tim

Termites Dream 02-15-2009 10:11 AM

Tim,

do you have any info on the Lado electric retracts for the B 25? I talked to the guy at Lado a few months back and they were planning on starting to make them around the end of winter (I am expecting them to be delayed since those guys just cant keep up with the demand). I have Lados for a spitfire I put together and I like them a lot better than the gas retracts. I have nearly finished my B 25 and plan on flying it with the fixed gear until the electric retracts are available. Does anyone else make electric retracts?

Thanks,
David

cobi.p 02-15-2009 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WOOOW , PA BEN , B-25 and B 24 together in one field and on my table , that nice man :)

few question's :
i'd like to close all the monokot joining , is it o.k to use a clear nail polish , is it going to do the job ?

can i use a home iron cover'ed with cloth to work on the monokot or do i need the special little one ?

i dont like the idea of 4 servo for the flapes , i'm working on a different way to do it with one servo or maximum 2 .

ohhh god , i'm going to eat a lot of sh**t with the engine installation , it's just dont fit .

cheers - cobi

CCFPILOT 02-15-2009 05:49 PM

Cobi.p, It looks like my 100 hr to completion is not enough with all your mods.

cobi.p 02-15-2009 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well ccfpilot i'm not in a hurry :D and i dont see somebody standing behind me with a shotgun so ...... i have the time .

it is over 1.5 years that i'm building my don smith 1/9 b-24 and it will take a year more .

the T.F B-25 will get the full respect from me and i love this plane :).

it take me more then a year to get it so i plan to enjoy my self evry minute of building it.

o.k i have decide to glue the 2 wing pieces together i have place in my car and this is how the flapes going to work with 2 servo .

cheers - cobi

cobi.p 02-16-2009 05:17 AM

o.k after a long dissection with my friend " engineer fridman erez " the no' 1 scale builder in israel :D
well he told me not to glue the wings just leve them locked all the time and this a good idea for long maintenance and maybe need of replacing damaged part in the future .

about the plastic screw that hold the engine structure , did anyone have probleme's with them ( loose or broken ) ?

cheers - cobi

krproton 02-16-2009 07:55 AM

Hi David.

I've never heard of the retracts you mentioned. I don't know of any electric retracts either. But one of the guys I work with is putting some electric retracts in his TF Sea Fury kit, so I'll ask him where he got them from and maybe they make them for the B-25 as well.

Tim

krproton 02-16-2009 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: cobi.p

WOOOW , PA BEN , B-25 and B 24 together in one field and on my table , that nice man :)

few question's :
i'd like to close all the monokot joining , is it o.k to use a clear nail polish , is it going to do the job ?

can i use a home iron cover'ed with cloth to work on the monokot or do i need the special little one ?

i dont like the idea of 4 servo for the flapes , i'm working on a different way to do it with one servo or maximum 2 .

ohhh god , i'm going to eat a lot of sh**t with the engine installation , it's just dont fit .

cheers - cobi

Cobi,

If I may answer one of your questions; I strongly recommend a model airplane covering ironand make certain you use a cover sock. I recommend the 21st Century covering iron because it is lightweight and the thermostat keeps the temperature setting from wanderingwithin just a few degrees. Finally, it has a longer cord than most other irons.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXB361&P=ML

I apolozige for the advertisement, but I promise my intention is to get you the tools that will make the job easier.

Thanks.

Tim

cobi.p 02-16-2009 08:21 AM

THANK YOU TIM .

i am honored to be replyed by you , a good tool is not an advertisement it's a helping hand , thanks

yes sir , immediately orderd !! , i love tower , thay have very best service :D.

cheers - cobi

CCFPILOT 02-16-2009 12:26 PM

Tim
Here's the link to Lado retracts. [link]http://www.lado-tech.net/categories.php?cat=9[/link]

If they do make retracts for the TF B25 they will be made after you place your order.

Magnus76 02-17-2009 01:29 PM

do some one know how to get the trottle on seperate channel whit a Futaba T10C ? Or is it better whit the trottle conected by a Y-Harness ?

Magnus

RCGuy41 02-17-2009 03:35 PM

Hi Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Please follow this link, it's to the Futaba website, it will answer your question about setting up twin engines.

http://www.2.4gigahertz.com/faq/faq-...4ghz-q511.html

Brad

RCKen 02-17-2009 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Magnus76

do some one know how to get the trottle on seperate channel whit a Futaba T10C ? Or is it better whit the trottle conected by a Y-Harness ?

Magnus
Yes, you can set up your throttle servos on a Y-harness, but you will be better off if you use a seperate channel for each throttle servo. There are a couple of reasons, and they both deal with tuning. First, you can adjust the idle point seperately for each engine. Second, and more important, you can use the throttle curve in the radio to adjust the engines so that they both have similart RPM output at every throttle stick location. This will keep you engines putting out the same power no matter where the throttle stick is.

Ken

rnordeck 02-20-2009 01:03 PM

Magnus,

I am about 98% finished my "build" and am currently completing programming with the Futaba T10CAP. I also highly recommend two throttle channels for separate engine run-up / tuning. Since I am using 3 position Switch C for flaps I programmed my engine throttles on Channel 3 & 7 using 3 position Switch G; and followed Futaba's website FAQ suggested programming (see link above, Post # 2087); just changed the Switch assignments to G. I finally got it right on 'bout 4th try!

However, and isn't there always a "but", the pre-program Throttle Cut only worked on the Master - Channel 3 left engine... *!#!*. You need ONE MORE MIX...and since all four preprogrammed linear mixes 1-4 had been used for the throttles and separate nose wheel / rudder channel mixes you are left with only Curve Mixes 5-8. All of my blundering attempts were unsuccessful so I went back to Futaba Support via e-mail for this Fix Mix:

If your Throttle Cut looks like this:
Mix: Off
Rate: xx (30)%
SW: SwF
POSI: Down

Set-up Programmable Mix 5:
Mix: On
MAS: CH 7
SLV: CH 7
LINK: Off
SW: F (or same as your throttle cut)
POSI: Down (or same as "" "" )
RATES: POINT 5> 0%; 4> 0%; 3> -30%; 2> 0%; 1> 0%

Then Double Check that Throttle Cut is still set up same. Now Throttle Cut should kill both engines!!

And if you need to use any of the remaining "curve mixes" 6-8 here is one example for mixing some rudder with the ailerons:

Programmable Mix 6:
Mix: On
MAS: CH 1
SLV: CH 4
LINK: Off
SW: H or Any Switch
POSI: Down (or your preference)
RATES: Points: 5> +20%; 4> +10%; 3> 0%; 2> -10%; 1> -20%

Like I 'tol my flying buddies: I need one manuel to run my computer...and 4 manuels / books to operate my radio!!

Hoping for roll out on April 18th - 67th Anniversary of the Doolittle Raid.

"I. B. Narly"

Magnus76 02-21-2009 02:45 AM

Thank you all !Now i know what im going to do tonight :D

tom2bell 02-27-2009 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all here is my b-25 flys great magnum 91s with on bord glow
the manifold on the left one came off in flight some damage but fixable

Termites Dream 03-02-2009 09:28 PM

Guys,

Hinging question. My B 25 is just about ready to fly, have run 2 tanks of fuel through each engine so far for break-in (OS FL-70). Aerobatic planes need to have the hinges sealed on one side with hinge tape, not sure if that is needed on warbirds (or even practical, given the shape of the joint between the fixed and control surfaces). I have a Hangar 9 spitfire finished as well, same question applies. Higher speeds means more chance for flutter but maybe the hinge design protects against that.

Great paint job, Tom!

Thanks,
David

Magnus76 03-03-2009 02:10 PM

Some one know where to get a good 3 view plan ? or know what size the bombaydoor should be ?
Regards
Magnus

RCGuy41 03-03-2009 02:50 PM

Hi Magnus,

If you are planning on adding a bomb bay in your B-25 go to this website, http://www.wingspanmodels.com/ then page down to the bottom. You can purchase the kit, as for a three view plan, I would need too look around the web.

Brad

Magnus76 03-03-2009 03:20 PM

Hi Brad

Im going to do the doors by my self ! thats way i need a 3 view plan or the size of the doors

Thanks for looking around

/
Mange

fytrjok 03-04-2009 01:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom,

Looks great!! I love the strafer nose! I think every Magnum I've had has similar problems. Glad to see it's not too badly damaged. You need to bring it over to Chatfield and fly with Clark and me...we were flying formation with the B25's last weekend. You need to keep harassing Bruno to get him to finish his...four in formation would take the breath away!!

Doug

Magnus76 03-04-2009 02:55 AM

fyrtjok

Looks real nice your formation !!!!

tom2bell 03-04-2009 10:37 AM

fyrtjok
formation looks great is that bruno's bearcat?
I should have it rebuilt by warbirds.
say hi to Clark for me.
I am going to change the nose art this time.
Frank and my self have a pare of macchi 205s should look good at warbirds flying in formation
Tom

Thanks for the coment dave as for your question. I have many hanger 9 warbirds and I dont tape any of the surfaces just keep the
control surface gap as small as possible. Most of these planes are flying about 80 or 90 at full I have yet to see any fluter out of any of my birds. The p40s tail was a little wiggly so some triangle stock for bracing and now solid as a rock.

tom

Termites Dream 03-04-2009 01:48 PM

Tom,

thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Next I need to work on engine tuning and matching the power curves. Should not be too hard since they are on separate channels. Then it should be ready to fly.

David

RCGuy41 03-04-2009 04:41 PM

Hi Magnus,

An RCU member has been working on a mod for his Top Flight B-25 here is the link to the forum, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...tm.htm#7700697 hopefully it will help with the measurements you are seeking for the bomb bay doors.

Brad

bobsnedegar 03-04-2009 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Magnus,

I am doing the bomb bay mod also. Based on drawings in the book "B-25 Mitchell in Detail", the front of the bay is even with the wing LE (viewed from below) and the rear is even with the inboard flap hinge line where it meets the fuselage. Photos show the vertical position of the door hinge line to be at the point where the fuse sides begin to curve from vertical (profile view). The Wingspan kit produces a bomb bay somewhat smaller, lengthwise, than scale - but involves less modification to the internal structure. In going with the scale outline for my bay, I had to add a half-former at the front. Quite do-able, but takes some work. Good luck!

Bob

bobsnedegar 03-04-2009 09:37 PM

BTW, my bomb bay interior has been painted OD since the photo was taken. The plastic bombs will be as well, though I'll probably regret it when I release them over deep grass.

Bob

Magnus76 03-05-2009 07:10 AM

Brad and Bob

Thanks !! Now it a little bit more clear in my harddrive between My ears !!!

Regards
Magnus

djstar39 03-11-2009 12:52 PM

Norman,

A quick question if you don't mind... I'm duplicating your Saito 82 Perry Pump install. Where does the fuel line from the top of the 'T' coming out of the carb go? I assume you have a 3 line tank set up and it's going to the tank. Is that correct? Also, did you adjust the Perry screw just based on the instructions that came with it?

Thanks!!

Dave

norm 03-12-2009 07:25 PM

Dave,

I responded to your PM, but yes the t is a bypass back to the tank and also is a redundant fuel pick up.

Normand

MaximusPoundage 03-13-2009 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob, what is your bomb bay length? On my documentation the bay starts just behind the leading edge of the wing and stops at the bottom flap line, keeping in mind that the TF B-25 has smaller flaps than scale. I came up with a scale dimension of 108” / 9 = 12”. Does 12" sound about right? I’m not trying for exact scale here but I figured if I’m going to cut the hole it might as well be right!

How is this for a dicey landing of a full scale B-25? Ha!

nemesis4u 03-13-2009 07:30 PM

MAXIMUSPOUNDAGE,

How is Washington? I have visited Port Angeles ... very nice....

Anywho... I can send you a TEMPLATE (free of charge) for the working bombbay I plan on installing on a future TF B-25...

It is pretty accurate... you can see it here:

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/access/wingspan.html

If you'd like the template for where to cut the doors... Just email me....
"paying it forward"

I have 1 TF B-25 that I am personally assembling now for a RAFFLE PRIZE for the ANNUAL B-17 Gathering/Big Bird FLY IN held here
in MONAVILLE , TEXAS at BOMBER FIELD! This is an awesome event....
I am trying to get as many multiengine Fighters/Bombers in action at this event and especially any B-25s, B-17s, B-24s as I can...

So for this years Raffle it will be this TF B-17 as it seems to be a good size model that most can transport easily and it can operate on medium sized 4Stroke engines...
I am mounting .70 4 Strokes on this one... with Robart retracts and Futaba servos...
Going to add some nice scale touches to it....

Hope you can visit us at BOMBER FIELD someday... it is quite an event and worth the price of an airline ticket!

www.bomberfieldusa.com

Cheers!

TOMAS
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
"Keep 'Em Flying"

MaximusPoundage 03-13-2009 08:17 PM

Tomas, thank you for the kind offer, but all I was looking for was the length of the full scale bay doors. The weather sucks here but I’m in my heated work area having a ball with this plane. I don’t travel much, I have to stay close to home because I take care of my sickly mother, so I’ll just have to wait for the picture thread on Bomber Field, but thanks for the invite. Mother does not like the amount of time I spend with these “toys” as it is!

norm 03-13-2009 10:26 PM

Maximus,

go in the first few pages of this thread and there is detailed information from "thimoty thompson" (with honor and respect for tim, passed away last year) the guy was the first to make close to scale bomb bay doors. look for his postings on the subject and it is very well detailed. You can also buy a kit from ( wingspanmodel.com ) that tells you where to cut and supply all the stuff to make the doors.
There is a bar called Maximus in Sankt Petersburg RU...very nice place if Toreo is reading this!!!

Thomas,

As for the bomberfield event this is a great idea. I will fly from montreal with my B-25 and...maybe if time allows for it, a 134 inch Avro Lancaster! It would also be good to hear from the upcoming Mosquito ARF (ASM) that is suppose to come out soon??? what about that Thomas?

Normand

bobsnedegar 03-13-2009 11:11 PM

Maximus,

Actually, I overlooked the smaller than scale flap size when locating my doors! My bay cutout is 13 5/8" long, running from about even with the wing LE to even with the (model) flap line. Drawings vary slightly but most show the front of the doors as even with the wing LE.

btw, I am presently working on modifying my landing gear doors to be servo-driven and sequentially close after the gear is lowered - just as on the full scale Mitchell. Small sub-doors will remain open to accommodate the struts when the wheels are down. Also thinking about a "squat switch" on one of the main struts to prevent inadvertent retraction on the ground.

Bob