RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

tom2bell 02-27-2009 08:42 PM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all here is my b-25 flys great magnum 91s with on bord glow
the manifold on the left one came off in flight some damage but fixable

Termites Dream 03-02-2009 09:28 PM

Guys,

Hinging question. My B 25 is just about ready to fly, have run 2 tanks of fuel through each engine so far for break-in (OS FL-70). Aerobatic planes need to have the hinges sealed on one side with hinge tape, not sure if that is needed on warbirds (or even practical, given the shape of the joint between the fixed and control surfaces). I have a Hangar 9 spitfire finished as well, same question applies. Higher speeds means more chance for flutter but maybe the hinge design protects against that.

Great paint job, Tom!

Thanks,
David

Magnus76 03-03-2009 02:10 PM

Some one know where to get a good 3 view plan ? or know what size the bombaydoor should be ?
Regards
Magnus

RCGuy41 03-03-2009 02:50 PM

Hi Magnus,

If you are planning on adding a bomb bay in your B-25 go to this website, http://www.wingspanmodels.com/ then page down to the bottom. You can purchase the kit, as for a three view plan, I would need too look around the web.

Brad

Magnus76 03-03-2009 03:20 PM

Hi Brad

Im going to do the doors by my self ! thats way i need a 3 view plan or the size of the doors

Thanks for looking around

/
Mange

fytrjok 03-04-2009 01:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom,

Looks great!! I love the strafer nose! I think every Magnum I've had has similar problems. Glad to see it's not too badly damaged. You need to bring it over to Chatfield and fly with Clark and me...we were flying formation with the B25's last weekend. You need to keep harassing Bruno to get him to finish his...four in formation would take the breath away!!

Doug

Magnus76 03-04-2009 02:55 AM

fyrtjok

Looks real nice your formation !!!!

tom2bell 03-04-2009 10:37 AM

fyrtjok
formation looks great is that bruno's bearcat?
I should have it rebuilt by warbirds.
say hi to Clark for me.
I am going to change the nose art this time.
Frank and my self have a pare of macchi 205s should look good at warbirds flying in formation
Tom

Thanks for the coment dave as for your question. I have many hanger 9 warbirds and I dont tape any of the surfaces just keep the
control surface gap as small as possible. Most of these planes are flying about 80 or 90 at full I have yet to see any fluter out of any of my birds. The p40s tail was a little wiggly so some triangle stock for bracing and now solid as a rock.

tom

Termites Dream 03-04-2009 01:48 PM

Tom,

thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Next I need to work on engine tuning and matching the power curves. Should not be too hard since they are on separate channels. Then it should be ready to fly.

David

RCGuy41 03-04-2009 04:41 PM

Hi Magnus,

An RCU member has been working on a mod for his Top Flight B-25 here is the link to the forum, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...tm.htm#7700697 hopefully it will help with the measurements you are seeking for the bomb bay doors.

Brad

bobsnedegar 03-04-2009 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Magnus,

I am doing the bomb bay mod also. Based on drawings in the book "B-25 Mitchell in Detail", the front of the bay is even with the wing LE (viewed from below) and the rear is even with the inboard flap hinge line where it meets the fuselage. Photos show the vertical position of the door hinge line to be at the point where the fuse sides begin to curve from vertical (profile view). The Wingspan kit produces a bomb bay somewhat smaller, lengthwise, than scale - but involves less modification to the internal structure. In going with the scale outline for my bay, I had to add a half-former at the front. Quite do-able, but takes some work. Good luck!

Bob

bobsnedegar 03-04-2009 09:37 PM

BTW, my bomb bay interior has been painted OD since the photo was taken. The plastic bombs will be as well, though I'll probably regret it when I release them over deep grass.

Bob

Magnus76 03-05-2009 07:10 AM

Brad and Bob

Thanks !! Now it a little bit more clear in my harddrive between My ears !!!

Regards
Magnus

djstar39 03-11-2009 12:52 PM

Norman,

A quick question if you don't mind... I'm duplicating your Saito 82 Perry Pump install. Where does the fuel line from the top of the 'T' coming out of the carb go? I assume you have a 3 line tank set up and it's going to the tank. Is that correct? Also, did you adjust the Perry screw just based on the instructions that came with it?

Thanks!!

Dave

norm 03-12-2009 07:25 PM

Dave,

I responded to your PM, but yes the t is a bypass back to the tank and also is a redundant fuel pick up.

Normand

MaximusPoundage 03-13-2009 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob, what is your bomb bay length? On my documentation the bay starts just behind the leading edge of the wing and stops at the bottom flap line, keeping in mind that the TF B-25 has smaller flaps than scale. I came up with a scale dimension of 108” / 9 = 12”. Does 12" sound about right? I’m not trying for exact scale here but I figured if I’m going to cut the hole it might as well be right!

How is this for a dicey landing of a full scale B-25? Ha!

nemesis4u 03-13-2009 07:30 PM

MAXIMUSPOUNDAGE,

How is Washington? I have visited Port Angeles ... very nice....

Anywho... I can send you a TEMPLATE (free of charge) for the working bombbay I plan on installing on a future TF B-25...

It is pretty accurate... you can see it here:

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/access/wingspan.html

If you'd like the template for where to cut the doors... Just email me....
"paying it forward"

I have 1 TF B-25 that I am personally assembling now for a RAFFLE PRIZE for the ANNUAL B-17 Gathering/Big Bird FLY IN held here
in MONAVILLE , TEXAS at BOMBER FIELD! This is an awesome event....
I am trying to get as many multiengine Fighters/Bombers in action at this event and especially any B-25s, B-17s, B-24s as I can...

So for this years Raffle it will be this TF B-17 as it seems to be a good size model that most can transport easily and it can operate on medium sized 4Stroke engines...
I am mounting .70 4 Strokes on this one... with Robart retracts and Futaba servos...
Going to add some nice scale touches to it....

Hope you can visit us at BOMBER FIELD someday... it is quite an event and worth the price of an airline ticket!

www.bomberfieldusa.com

Cheers!

TOMAS
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
"Keep 'Em Flying"

MaximusPoundage 03-13-2009 08:17 PM

Tomas, thank you for the kind offer, but all I was looking for was the length of the full scale bay doors. The weather sucks here but I’m in my heated work area having a ball with this plane. I don’t travel much, I have to stay close to home because I take care of my sickly mother, so I’ll just have to wait for the picture thread on Bomber Field, but thanks for the invite. Mother does not like the amount of time I spend with these “toys” as it is!

norm 03-13-2009 10:26 PM

Maximus,

go in the first few pages of this thread and there is detailed information from "thimoty thompson" (with honor and respect for tim, passed away last year) the guy was the first to make close to scale bomb bay doors. look for his postings on the subject and it is very well detailed. You can also buy a kit from ( wingspanmodel.com ) that tells you where to cut and supply all the stuff to make the doors.
There is a bar called Maximus in Sankt Petersburg RU...very nice place if Toreo is reading this!!!

Thomas,

As for the bomberfield event this is a great idea. I will fly from montreal with my B-25 and...maybe if time allows for it, a 134 inch Avro Lancaster! It would also be good to hear from the upcoming Mosquito ARF (ASM) that is suppose to come out soon??? what about that Thomas?

Normand

bobsnedegar 03-13-2009 11:11 PM

Maximus,

Actually, I overlooked the smaller than scale flap size when locating my doors! My bay cutout is 13 5/8" long, running from about even with the wing LE to even with the (model) flap line. Drawings vary slightly but most show the front of the doors as even with the wing LE.

btw, I am presently working on modifying my landing gear doors to be servo-driven and sequentially close after the gear is lowered - just as on the full scale Mitchell. Small sub-doors will remain open to accommodate the struts when the wheels are down. Also thinking about a "squat switch" on one of the main struts to prevent inadvertent retraction on the ground.

Bob

c550 03-13-2009 11:20 PM

I Started with the location that Timothy Thompson indicated, There is a former very near to it and that is where I made the front of the bay. I can take some measurments of mine, but I deviated to make it a little easier.

Regards,

Dave

rnordeck 03-14-2009 12:16 PM

Tim,

My "build" problem of the day:

So, I had both inner wing panels with nacelles on the work bench with only the four flap servos connected to the New Futaba R6014 FS FAAST receiver, with the recommended HydriMax 4.8v. 4200 mah NiMH receiver pack and a standard Futaba switch harness. I had just finished programming 2 position flaps with my New Futaba 10CAP; with no problem. Turned off the switch and turned around to my computer desk when FIRE!!! and SMOKE!!! erupted on the bench. Beat it out by yanking the flaming switch harness from the battery. The fire totally burned up the switch harness wiring, melted the battery wiring and shrink wrap and melted the receiver case around the battery plug-in.

I have no idea what caused the "short circuit"? Too light wiring and/or faulty switch harness???

Will have to send in receiver for repairs and buy a new battery pack and a new HEAVY DUTY switch harness.....and I have it 99% finished and detailed and weathered. Had hoped to debut her on April 18 for the Anniversary of the "Doolittle Raid".....but now a set back!!

I inquired via the Futaba support website about operating 14 servos on the one battery pack and have had no response.

Guess I would have to recommend NOT using a "standard" switch harness with all dos 4.2 AMPS!!! and I only had 4 servos connected...not all 14!! and the switch was turned off!!

Any thoughts???

"I.B. Narly"

CCFPILOT 03-14-2009 01:14 PM

Sorry about your trouble, what a bummer.

Sounds like a SHORT, and not too many servos. I would guess the problem is in the Futaba receiver, since the wires were burned all the way to the receiver plug-in. If the short were in the switch harness the receiver probably wouldn't have been damaged. Also, a heavy duty switch would not have prevented the problem, just supplied more current to the short.

krproton 03-16-2009 05:34 AM

Hi rnordeck.

I'm not going to speculate on what caused the fire/meltdown in your system. I just wanted to acknowledge your post. Sounds like all your gear was new and factory-made. I'll have to let our Product Support dept. work on this one with you.

Tim

toreo 03-16-2009 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: normandouellette

There is a bar called Maximus in Sankt Petersburg RU...very nice place if Toreo is reading this!!!

:) Normand. I read this, i pumping my B25 little step by step. New photo is comming soon :)