RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Where is the Electric-to-Glow Conversion Forum??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/7052973-where-electric-glow-conversion-forum.html)

Kostas1 02-03-2009 09:55 AM

RE: Where is the Electric-to-Glow Conversion Forum???

Sir,
thank you for your information.

I started saving some weeks before and i really think it's time to pull the triger on a small ARF to convert it to glow!:D

coffeemug 02-07-2009 10:36 AM

Hey jetfixr,

Do you remember what model that is with the Mazda paintjob? -It's among the pictures you posted of potential kit conversions. I have seen it before and considered it, but can't remember who sells it. -Your nice mini edge conversion was a real inspiration to me, so now I'm just going to have to try a conversion myself.

By the way, today is the last day the The Hobby People website is offering the Magnum XL 30 RFS 4 Stroke Engine for $89. (http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/210935.asp) I ordered one hoping it will be an OK substitute for my Saito .30 which I'd like to preserve until I am sure any conversion I do holds together well enough to justify using it.

coffeemug 02-07-2009 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found it (Zlin EP Electric,) It was at nitroplanes, I'm not familiar with that company though. Have any of you heard good things about them??

Specifications:
Wing Span : 40 in / 1016 mm
Wing Area : 430 sq in / 28 sq.dm
Flying Weight : 45oz / 1300g
Fuselage Length : 31 in / 800 mm

w8ye 02-07-2009 12:56 PM

The Nitro Planes are generally competitively priced ARF's.

The kits are not as deluxe as some ARF's and instructions are more in the order of pictures

Experienced people have made a very satisfactory plane from some selections

jrf 02-07-2009 01:17 PM

w8ye: You should write product reviews for MAN or FlyRC. You made Nitroplanes look acceptable without once saying anything that isn't true.

coffeemug: Unless you are an experienced builder and don't mind redoing or replacing a lot of things, it is best to stay away from Nitroplanes.

Jim

coffeemug 02-07-2009 01:54 PM

Thanks w8ye, JRF,

Yeah I have done plenty of building over the years so I'm not too concerned with that part of it. For the price I tell myself it's probably worth the gamble. There may be major surgery involved, that's a risk I'm willing to take as long as there is enough potential there to start with. My big concern was doing business with a company I wasn't familiar with, to purchase a plane that I am not finding much information about on the internet.

w8ye 02-07-2009 03:20 PM

The Nitro Planes stuff is generally the CMP or China Model Products brand from what I've read. I never was interested in owning one. I don't have any scale planes.

A few years ago there was a place called Giant Scale Planes that was an awful lot like Nitro Models and they sold the same planes. That marketing set up failed because of unscrupulous pricing strategies involving so called shipping and handling costs.

jetfixr 02-07-2009 03:46 PM

I have built a Nitro Planes P-51 (Miss America) and a nitroplanes Ultimate Biplane. I have had great luck with both. The Mustang was exactly like the Hanger 9 one (it actually had a the instruction booklet from the Hanger 9 Mustang included with it), and the Ultimate was great quality. I built the Mustang and flew it a couple of times, but eventually sold it because I just didn't fly it that much. I never had any problems out of it though. The Ultimate Biplane I have however is the best airplane I have flown. I probably have over 200 flights on it now, and it is great. I completely recovered it after a summer of flying it. I didn't even rebuild anything while I had the covering off. It all looked good to me. The hardware and the instruction manual were the only things that I found sub par. I would definitely purchase from them again. I had very little contact with the company however, so I can't speak to their customer service. All I know is I ordered them from the website, and a few days later they arrived. Good luck with your conversion, and post some pics if you do start one!

coffeemug 02-07-2009 04:58 PM

Thanks all,

Well cabin fever got me so I sent for it, should arrive in a week. I'll post pics of what shows up in the box when I get it...

jetfixr 02-07-2009 05:47 PM

I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. (especially for the price)

coffeemug 02-21-2009 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, last week I received the Nitroplanes "Zlin EP Electric Brushless Powered Remote Control RC Airplane 90% Built ARF Kit."

The first thing I did was snap some shots of it as I unpacked it so you can get some idea of the kit quality. I was a little surprised that with the exception of the wings, everything else other than the cowl was loosely floating around in plastic bags. The second thing that struck me was that it seemed tiny for something claimed to have 430 sq in of wing. Here's Nitros specs;

Specifications:
Wing Span : 40 in / 1016 mm
Wing Area : 430 sq in / 28 sq.dm
Flying Weight : 45oz / 1300g
Fuselage Length : 31 in / 800 mm

Requirements:
Li - poly : 11.1V ; 1800-2200mah ; Propeller :9"x 6" ;
Out ranner Brushless Motor : 450T Speed ; Control:45AMP.

So I took a few measurements myself and came up with about 255 sq in. Throughout this I was a little concerned about the size of and number of wrinkles in the covering, but I also tried to keep in mind that it is a $69 ARF.

coffeemug 02-21-2009 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My original intention was to use my Saito .30 in it, and around 9 oz this was looking to be a real strech. So my next move was to loosely assemble it and try to get a rough idea of what it would take to balance it. I got everything in place, the Saito and cowl taped as closely into position as possible... -wow! Not looking too good, so I swapped the Saito .30 for an as yet untried (NIB) AP Hornet .09. Hmmm, still looks like it's going to be a challenge so I took another tack and removed the existing motor mount. This was scary-easy, just a little wiggling here and there and things started to crack loose. In under 5 minutes I had the mount removed and also the floor of the fuselage.

I have since used my heat gun and iron to attack the wrinkles. I'm pretty finicky about wrinkles... Couldn't get them out as well as I wanted.

jetfixr 02-21-2009 03:36 PM

I am sorry you haven't had as good as an experience with your Zlin as I had with my Ultimate. Now I feel bad for talking it up so much. My covering was also wrinkled, but I just went over it with my iron, and it smoothed right out. Also, on my mini Edge, I had to put the battery pack in the aft fuselage section to balance it. With it there however, I didn't have to use any ballast. Your airplane is actually bigger than my Edge, and I have a Saito .30 in mine. I wonder why yours won't balance. I also removed the original motor box in mine and made a motor mount of my own. Good luck with the rest of it! Hopefully you can make it all work.

RCHubbub 02-21-2009 07:42 PM

Converted miniUltra Stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_vtL0Q4bGQ

captinjohn 04-14-2009 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jetfixr

I have built a Nitro Planes P-51 (Miss America) and a nitroplanes Ultimate Biplane. I have had great luck with both. The Mustang was exactly like the Hanger 9 one (it actually had a the instruction booklet from the Hanger 9 Mustang included with it), and the Ultimate was great quality. I built the Mustang and flew it a couple of times, but eventually sold it because I just didn't fly it that much. I never had any problems out of it though. The Ultimate Biplane I have however is the best airplane I have flown. I probably have over 200 flights on it now, and it is great. I completely recovered it after a summer of flying it. I didn't even rebuild anything while I had the covering off. It all looked good to me. The hardware and the instruction manual were the only things that I found sub par. I would definitely purchase from them again. I had very little contact with the company however, so I can't speak to their customer service. All I know is I ordered them from the website, and a few days later they arrived. Good luck with your conversion, and post some pics if you do start one!
I just got back to Michigan from vacation in Florida. I was at a Fly-in/swap meet and had I been faster I could have bought the Nitro Models P-51 for at a steal price. Man I hate missing good deals like that!!!!!:eek: Keep this thread going...I did pick up a OS Max .10 for a electric plane. Best Regards Capt,n

w8ye 04-14-2009 05:49 PM

I bought a Hobby Lobby International Telemaster Electric 40 ARF new at the Hobby shop for $100.

I took pliers and broke out the electric motor mount and battery box.

I put a piece of 1/32" plywood over F1 and attached a Great Planes engine mount for a Saito 56. Looks like it is going to be pretty good

The Telemaster is not a beginners ARF for the instructions are picture instructions with a minimum of wording which is a lot like some of the Chinese instructions and certainly not any better. But with my experience and what I was doing with the plane it didn't matter.