RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite AT6 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8132639-top-flite-at6-arf.html)

maddieone 11-10-2008 08:54 AM

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Hey Team,
I am considering purchasing the Top Flite AT6 ARF and I have also been researching the World Models AT6. Does anyone have any information or has been associated with the TF AT6. I kinow that this is the weenie way out but I would appreciate any info that I can get.

Thanks,
MADDIEONE :eek:

MinnFlyer 11-10-2008 09:12 AM

RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

1 Attachment(s)
I am currently building a TF AT-6 for an RCU Magazine review. I haven't flown it yet, but it's ready to go (Just waiting on the weather)

The quality is outstanding. Although I did find two flaws - Both easily corrected.

1) The set-screws in the wheel collars did not fit. I don't know if they were the wrong size, or if the holes were not properly tapped, but I just re-tapped the holes and used some 6-32 set-screws that I had on hand.

2) There was a pretty severe angle between the throttle arm and the servo. This caused the servo arm to twist as it moved. You can solve this by either replacing the throttle pushrod with a flexible cable, or what I did was to make a servo mount that moved the servo to a more in-line position.

maddieone 11-10-2008 10:10 AM

Thanks MINNFLYER, please keep us up to date on your progress. What engine do you plan on using? If I get the TF ARF I was hoping to use an existing Super Tigre S 61 that runs really great and that would keep the project cost down.
Thanks Again,
MADDIEONE :D

MinnFlyer 11-10-2008 10:14 AM

I am using an OS 91 Surpass II. I have heard from someone with this combo that says it's an excellent power match.

maddieone 11-10-2008 10:23 AM

Sounds good to me.
I have a couple of planes with the 91's and the engines have always been extremely reliable and have not caused any grief.
So much for project costs.

Howard 11-10-2008 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I am currently building a TF AT-6 for an RCU Magazine review. I haven't flown it yet, but it's ready to go (Just waiting on the weather)

The quality is outstanding. Although I did find two flaws - Both easily corrected.

1) The set-screws in the wheel collars did not fit. I don't know if they were the wrong size, or if the holes were not properly tapped, but I just re-tapped the holes and used some 6-32 set-screws that I had on hand.

2) There was a pretty severe angle between the throttle arm and the servo. This caused the servo arm to twist as it moved. You can solve this by either replacing the throttle pushrod with a flexible cable, or what I did was to make a servo mount that moved the servo to a more in-line position.
MinnFlyer,

The gear on this plane looks "unusual" and perhaps less than sturdy. Let me underscore 'looks' because I have no other information to suggest there is a problem and I don't want to start rumors based on my visual perceptions - sometimes these threads take on a life of their own. Would you be kind enough to comment and also check the wire dimensions (thickness) of the gear. I have the WM AT-6 but have not started it and just fell in love with the TF colors when they started advertising. The WM AT-6 is beautiful but might rub real scale fans. Thanks

Howard

jbarnes 11-10-2008 03:29 PM

Does the TF AT6 have the hatch built into it like the P51. You just simply cut the sheeting and you have nice hatch for electric setup? I have the TF P51 on electric and it flies fantastically. Considering the AT6.

MinnFlyer 11-10-2008 03:43 PM

I have not measured the gear wires, but a 3/16" collar would not fit on it., my guess is 4mm, but I'll try to remember to check that tonight. It seems plenty strong though.

As for a hatch, I have not seen one, but then, I haven't been looking for one either. I reviewed the TF P-51 and never even realized that IT had one! :(

jbarnes 11-10-2008 03:57 PM

To see the hatch access visit this thread, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...tm.htm#7967084

R/C Foolish 11-11-2008 06:30 PM

The TF AT-6 flies great with a Saito 100. The gear are not perfect. I replaced the z bend wires for 256 rod with clevis's attached for a more solid connection. I would like to see Robart come up with a replacement gear.

R/C Foolish

Free Bird 11-15-2008 09:00 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I had an opportunity to fly the TF AT-6 ARF. It was powered with a O.S. 91. The builder of the model had excessive throws on the ailerons and elevator (he felt the instruction throws weren't enough). Once that was squared away, I flew the Texan and I must say, I was impressed with the way it flew. It was very solid and not twitchy at all. The stock retracts worked well, but they do look funkey. Landings without flaps is a no brainer as it slows nicely. It sure does look nice flying with the gear up! I just might have to get one of these birds, I'd strip it and use a different trim scheme though.

I would like to see Robart come up with a replacement gear.

R/C Foolish
Robart used to make a set of retracts for the TF AT-6 kit. They should fit without too much effort.

FB

bucho 11-22-2008 10:52 PM

saito 100 is a good idea or better the surpasss 91 ?

CCFPILOT 11-22-2008 11:31 PM

The gear wire is 5mm, and soft as cheese, no spring at all. I'm wondering if anyone other than me has tried to remove the gear wire from the retracts after the set screws have been torqued down?? It's nearly impossible because the wire is so soft it gets distorted.

Flys great though, just make soft landings.

Ethan

PS. I remove the set screws before trying to remove the wire struts.

Iflyglow 11-23-2008 12:22 PM

Has anyone tried a YS 1.10 yet.:D What is the tail feather construction like.:D

lancedoze 11-24-2008 01:55 PM

Just flew mine today. Everything looks good and functions well except the gear. This seems to be the only drawback. OS 91 II with a 14x6 k series MAS is perfect. If anyone has tried the robart gear let us know because we are going to need it.

Lifer 11-24-2008 03:36 PM

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the firewall. I'm considering a 20cc gas. Thanks!

Augie11 12-01-2008 09:55 AM

I'm sorry but I have to give you a complicated answer to a simple question. The firewall is supported virtually all the way around with hardwood spars which extend out to what I'll call a 'cowl ring'. The spars limit the firewall diameter to 5 7/8". However the cowl ring, which is approx. 3/4" forward of the firewall, further limit the usable diameter to 5 1/8". This figure is essentially the same as the inner cowling diameter.

Hope that helps.

Lifer 12-03-2008 08:32 PM

Augie,

Thanks for the reply. What I have in mind is the 20 cc gas from rcgf engines. It's difficult to tell without holding the plane and engine in hand............

maddieone 12-04-2008 08:57 AM

Lifer,
Due to the size of the AT6 I do not think that gas is the way to go. I have looked at some of the smaller gas engines and with the carbs and mufflers sticking out the way they do you are not going to have much cowling left by the time you get the engine mounted. I am also concerned by the weight of the engine and since they all have EI you have the additional weight of the batteries. Given that I do not know what a 'rcgf' engine looks like I would stay with what has proven to be a great combo for this plane, that is a nice 91 four stroke. You other guys care to comment?

Maddieone

Lifer 12-04-2008 09:28 AM

Maddieone,

I'm afaraid that you are correct. What I want to do and what is reasonable sometimes don't agree. Again, thanks for a candid opinion.

Lifer

maddieone 12-04-2008 11:15 AM

You are quite welcome, always glad to help. :D

Maddieone

P.S.

To you and the rest of the guys, I have read a couple of reviews where the reviewer used a product called Epo-Grip to join the wing halves together. Well being of a curious nature I started looking around for something that was eaiser to obtain and perhaps cheaper. I found that Sig makes a product called Epoxolite that is normally used for fillets. So on a chance I bought some and did a couple of tests where I glued flat pieces of wood together and a faux D tube with joiner. After drying the flat pieces broke under duress but the glue joint held. I could not pull the joiner out of the tube. Work time is fifteen minutes but if you have done your pre fitting that would be sufficient. Also if some of the material oozes out, you just wet you finger and it rubs off. Be sure do do that prior to it setting up. The product is viscous and spreads like peanut butter so it doesn't slop all over when putting the pieces together.

Hope this helps. [sm=49_49.gif]

Free Bird 12-04-2008 12:03 PM

To you and the rest of the guys, I have read a couple of reviews where the reviewer used a product called Epo-Grip to join the wing halves together. Well being of a curious nature I started looking around for something that was eaiser to obtain and perhaps cheaper. I found that Sig makes a product called Epoxolite that is normally used for fillets. So on a chance I bought some and did a couple of tests where I glued flat pieces of wood together and a faux D tube with joiner. After drying the flat pieces broke under duress but the glue joint held. I could not pull the joiner out of the tube. Work time is fifteen minutes but if you have done your pre fitting that would be sufficient. Also if some of the material oozes out, you just wet you finger and it rubs off. Be sure do do that prior to it setting up. The product is viscous and spreads like peanut butter so it doesn't slop all over when putting the pieces together.

Hope this helps.
Epoxolite really isn't for joints like joining wing panels together. It's thick nature doesn't allow it to soak into the wood like a slow-cure epoxy. Epoxolite is for making fillets and such.

FB

Clay Walters 12-04-2008 01:46 PM

Looks a little big: http://www.zrcgf.com/store/Details.c...=26&category=0

maddieone 12-05-2008 06:57 AM

Well, given that the material that was used by the two reviewers is of the same consistency as the Epoxolite I have to disagree. Also, the material used for the center ribs, the D tube and the joiner are normally made out of some type of plywood and or hardwoods which do not lend themselves to soaking. One should score the surfaces prior to using any type of epoxy to help ensure a good bond. It comes down to user preference and both types of adhesives will work.

Maddieone

Balsawings 12-05-2008 11:46 AM

Epo-grip is the brand name. They have many different viscositys of epoxy. You have your normal 5 minute and 25 minute but also pre-mixed with silica or milled fiber as well as a gell. It's good stuff, sold and manufactured by a friend right here in Miami.

I also would not recommend using any brand epoxy product with a thickening agent to join wings because of the lack of penetration.

Bob Cox
SPA 374
Miami, FL

maddieone 12-05-2008 04:44 PM

AHA - Sales pitch :D

Ok, I have an open mind. Have your friend tell us how his product is better than or why Epoxolite is not a good choice to join wing halves. Also supply information as to ordering the material. Looking at the pictures of the reviewer using Epo-grip it did not seem to me that it was much different than Epoxolite.

What follows is a statement from a gentleman at SIG:

I Am not familiar with Epo-Grip, so I have to rule out any comparisons. However, Epoxolite is epoxy glue based and can be used as a filled adhesive although I have not used it in the situation described in the review. Epoxolite is very viscous so it needs to be manually spread like butter on the joining surfaces including the inside of the spar boxes. Properly applied it would eliminate any voids and slop between the wing halves and make a very solid joint.

Thanks,
Maddieone

Balsawings 12-05-2008 07:39 PM

I was only trying to correct a misconception about Epo-grip. Although this is produced by a friend I will not endorse any products here in the forums. If you want to use Epo-grip to join a wing that's fine but don't use the epoxy with the thickening agents in it. They also sell regular epoxy that would be better suited to doing the job. I only mention the fact that it's a friend because to me it helps to know that he is also a RC pilot, but the RC industry is a very small part of his business. Buy the way, I've used Zap 30 minute epoxy to join every wing I've built in the last 10 years.

Bob Cox
SPA 374
Miami, FL

jet22b 12-07-2008 12:42 AM

Hello Everyone;

I just finish the build on my Top Flite AT6 ARF and I must say it is a sweet build!! Now waiting on the OS 91 engine to come in. ( 4 stroke!!! ) I have one question. On the antenna, they say to route the antenna through the fuselage and feed it into the tube that is inside the fuselage. I have done that and I can not see where the wire come out. Did I miss something?? It do look sweet with no wire hanging out!!! Thanks for any feedback.

BTW; I have been in the hobby for 30+ years and all my wings joint are done using 30 min epoxy and glass cloth.

jet22b

AncientCityFlyer 12-10-2008 08:11 AM

MiniFlyer, I was on RCU a while back and found another build thread on the TopFlite AT-6 but I've tried everything to find it but no luck. Would you happen to have a post # or link to that thread? I'm going to get the AT-6 and would like as much info as possible on the AT-6. Thanks Mike (ACF)

Howard 12-10-2008 10:25 AM

I am building a WM AT-6 that does not come with a radial engine insert - would someone please measure the OD of the Top Flite radial engine insert for me so that I can determine if I can use it. Separate comment - I plan to order some of the Epo Grip and think it is an idea whose time is here. It was a real benefit to me to have MinnFlyer share it with us in his review. I may be wrong but, I think these folks had a booth at last years Top Gun and I failed to purchase any of it, silly me, now I can pay for the shipping.

Howard

CCFPILOT 12-10-2008 01:50 PM

AncientCityFlyer:

Here is the other thread. It still is confusing to me which thread I am looking at. The difference is one is AT6, the other is Texan.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_78...tm.htm#8217921

Ethan

AncientCityFlyer 12-10-2008 07:31 PM

Thanks for the thread link, it's the one I was looking for. I wasn't thinking "Texan" as search word Thanks again, Mike

maddieone 12-17-2008 10:08 PM

Hey Team,

I received my AT6 a couple of weeks ago and yeah, it was designated as my Christmas present and I was supposed to wait until then to start assembling it but the wife toook pity on me and and told me to go ahead with the build.

Some items:

The construction is excellent, the fits are great and are well planned out.

Overall the covering is great with the exception of the ailerons and the black stripes on the center section. Took a lot of work to get them looking half way decent.

The gear, in my opinion, are more than sturdy enough given the size and weight of the airplane and I fly off a grass field. I lucked out and the set screws for the the wheel collars fit with no problem but did find that a 1.5mm helicopter style wrench worked better than a normal style metric socket wrench.

Had a slight problem with the wing joint covers. I followed the instructions and stripped the covering and used epoxy as stated. Well the next day I was messing with the gear and one of the covers just popped loose from the wing, probably due to the fact the covers are made of some type of plastic. So after some consideration I decided to use RC 56, the stuff used for canopies. Worked great and the covers will not fly off.

And yes, I used Epoxolite to join the wings and the bonde is extremely strong. And if you want to play the numbers game, I am 65 years old and have been messing with model airplanes since I was twelve, do the math.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas

jet22b 12-18-2008 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like yourself, I too just finish the AT6 ARF. This plane was a sweet build. I went with a OS 91 4 Stroke engine on this baby. Did not have to do alot of mod on the cowling to fit the engine. There has been talk about the CG on this bird. The manual say that the CG should be 4-1/4" from the leading edge of the bottom wing. Some people have said that they have lost their bird on the first flight at this CG. The airplane flew tail heavy. Now I set my CG using the Great Planes CG Machine and the CG machine set the CG at 140mm or 5.5" So I mark the spot and found that if I go from the leading edge of the wheel well to the mark, it is 140mm or 5.5". I did mark the manual cg and found the manual cg is 1.5" in front of the manual mark. If you go from the leading edge of the wheel well to the leading edge of the bottom wing, it will come to 1.5" Now my CG is set per the Great Planes CG Machine. Now to have some good weather to test fly her and see what happen. I will report the out come!!!

Merry Xmas to all!!!

jet22b

HollywoodHitman 12-18-2008 03:59 PM

Jet22b - I have one of these on my wish list....Isn't going to happen this year, but I like it none the less. My only concern would be the encapsulation of the engine in the cowl. My H9 Spit with the Saito 100FS was getting super hot, so I had to cut into the cowl. Does the OS 91FS have any issues with overheating in this kind of configuration? If not, how did you manage to keep enough air over the heat sink fins?

Cheers,

HH

jet22b 12-18-2008 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HH;

Here is some pictures of my setup with the OS 91, as per the manual. On page 22 of the manual, they will show you how to mod the dummy engine for cooling the engine. I have yet to fly my AT6 because winter has come to the great northwest. I will keep an eye on the engine cooling when I do.
You will love the build!!!

jet22b

maddieone 12-18-2008 09:24 PM

Hey Hollywood,

If you set up your engine and cowling per the manual and the way that jet22b did you will not have to worry about overheating the 91. One thing that most guys forget about is allowing the heat to escape the engine compartment alias the cowl. The way that the cowl is set up on this bird with all of the open space in the rear, overheating will not be a concern. I have a Hangar 9 P51 with an OS 91 in it and have never had the engine run hot. Of course I never run her lean.

jet22b: Read the review by Mike B and I think that the CG should be four inches from the leading edge on either side of the joint covers. If I read your reply correctly and you go 5.5 inches from the leading edge you are possibly going to be very nose heavy.

Later,
maddieone

jet22b 12-18-2008 09:45 PM

maddieone;

I will go and read Mike B review. Like I said in my post, the 5.5 came from using the Great Planes CG machine and the leading edge of the wheel well. I am in my workshop now and I will put it back on the cg machine at the manual 4-1/4" and see what the cg machine come up with. One good thing, the laterally balance is dead on!!!
Again, thanks for the info and Merry Xmas to you and yours!!

jet22b

HollywoodHitman 12-18-2008 11:46 PM

Right on guys, thanks for the info. I might just go ahead and order another cowl for my Spit. I run it pretty rich, but it just seemed too hot. I am hoping to persuade my wife to get me this ARF for my birthday next year. I am hoping the price of the engines goes down significantly - My Saito 100 FS is pretty pricey these days, and I don't see me getting a whole lot more in my hangar with an 18 month old in the house.

maddieone 12-19-2008 11:29 AM

jet22b,

I have been using the GP CG balancer for years. Unless I am mistaken you set the distance in inches of the two arms to the distance suggested by the manufacturer. Then place the complete aircraft on the balancer with the little posts touching the leading edge. Now you get to add weight to the plane's nose or tail to get it level. One does not change the balancer distances to get the plane level.

Mike B found that four inches should be used to balance the plane and if necessary add lead, move batteries, whatever to get it level.

In one of my replies I had just finished the wing and wrote that the covering job was adequate. Well I pulled out the fuse and guess what, it was lousy. I spent nearly an hour with both a gun and iron and it still does not look that great. Guess I got one of the ones that was covered on Friday close to quitting time. Also I did a trial fit of the horizontal stabilizer and it is very sloppy. Regular Epoxy will not fill the gap. Going to use Epoxolite again.

[&o]
maddieone