Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

FUNTANNA E-CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUNTANNA E-CONVERSION

SAL, IT WAS GOOD TO MEET YOU SATURDAY AT THE WRAM SHOW. I HAVE A SMALL BUT FUNNY PROBLEM. I JUST DID A MOST AWSOME FUNTANA X50 E-CONVERSION. I USED A WELGARD 5056/6 MOTOR W/WELGARD 85 AMP SPEED CONTROL.I PICKED UP SOME OF THE POLY 3300 30C 18 V BATTERIES FROM YOU AT THE SHOW. THE PLANE CAME IN AT 5.5 POUNDS FULLY DRESSED. A 14X8 PROP. ITS TOOOO FAST. I NEED A SUGGESTION TO SLOW IT DOWN WITHOUT REPLACING THE MOTOR. IT LEAPS FROM THE GROUND AND FLYS FASTER THAN A GLOW AND HAS UNLIMITED VERTICAL. BUT IT TAKES 500-800 FEET OF SET UP BEFOR YOU CAN EVEN HEAD FOR THE RUNWAY.IF YOU TRY AND SLOW THE APROACH THE PLANE FALLS HARD AND FAST. WOULD A SMALLER PROP W/LESS PITCH STILL CREATE THE THRUST I NEED AS WELL STILL FLY THE PLANE THE WAY IT SHOULD FLY? THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 02-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Default RE: FUNTANNA E-CONVERSION

Hi! Its not the prop or the motor that is the problem in this case. Since you can shut off the motor and glide or feather back the throttle until the motor is hardly pulling, the motor is not the problem. The model should fly at its normal speed as long as you have the weight within the normal range. Typically a 14 x 8 prop is a 3D or aerobatic prop and pulls most motors at a reasonable speed. Of course you have the throttle stick to slow it down.

It sounds to me like you have the CG too far forward. Since the Funtana has a fairly thick airfoil you should be able to slow the airplane down quite a bit for both flying and landing. If the CG is too far forward this might be difficult.

So, first I need for you to answer a few questions.

What is the recommended CG and where do you have the CG for your model? What is the flying weight of the model, compared to recommended weight? Do you have adequate control throws compared to suggested throws? What is your flight experience with similar models?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:04 PM

thank you for your quick answer. the cg is at 5 1/16- 5 11/16 and we are right in the middle. i actualy had to add 1 oz to get the cg exact in the middle of that . i have NO exp. with this type of plane and had the resident instructor and head geek fly it for me to help set it up. what has been expressed is the extreme thrust and the speed the plane flys at. (it is awsome) . the flying weight as described should be around 6.8 with glow. but i came in at 5.5 lbs. the throws were extreme and flying on high rates was too fast and that was explained to me so we need some more air time to adjust this. unfortunatly it snowed yesterday so this might have to wait until the following week. i will say this much, it sure turned some heads in the glow group as they saw it scream past. it is in the hanger having the landing gear mounts reinstalled and the covering on the bottom of the wing fixed. any help is truly appreciated. again thanks, ken
Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 PM

Sounds like you are OK in the airplane setup, but it sounds like you need a little more experience with airplane.s of this type. If the CG is in the middle you are doing fine. The Funtana is designed to fly with big throws so you have to get to the point of experience with this model.

My suggestion is to leave the airplane as is for now. with later expreience you can modve the Cg back farther. Perhaps you might consider getting an intermediate airplane to practice one. I would suggest something in the 47-55" wingspan range. A flight simulater is a very good idea this way you can practice your flying without fear of crashing. The simulator is the best way to build up flight time. We are finding tha most to the real expert fliers today use a simulator for practice.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM

that was a most diplomatic way of saying that lol!. i have 2 others to advance my skills on so i am there. ill post our progress and again thanks . i will be calling for another pair of those 30c packs next week.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM

Well, we all have to start somewhere and as long as you have a good handle on your skill level and want to improve you will and have a great time doing it!

. I have a guy that works for me. His Name is Nick and he's been flying for 2 years this month. He is amazing! Well past me in the 3D department and I've been flying r/c for over 35 years. I can still kick his butt RC Soaring though!