Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Surging

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Surging

Eflight 480 Outrunner motor, 25 amp speed control, 1500 ma 3C Lipo.... above 3/4 throttle it surges, and it gets worse as the battery is drained. This equipt was in a different plane (not crashed) before, and it never did this before. Any clues ? Dennis Flora, Red Bluff, CA
Old 02-28-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Surging

Surging is a function of how the speed control is reacting to the voltage on the motor. My guess is that you have a battery that is losing capacity and hence voltage.

It also could be a problem with the motor. Perhaps the bell is out of round. I would also check to make sure you have a sift cutoff programmed into your speed control.

First thing I would try is a new battery and see if this makes it better. If it doesn't get back to me here.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM

OK, thanks Sal... We'll try another battery. Dennis Flora
Old 02-28-2007, 06:58 PM

Sal, He has a Lipo, 1500ma, 8C out of his Blade CP helicopter doing this. Does he need a higher C battery ? I checked Tower and there nothing of a larger MA capacity that will fit in the plane, but they do have a 1500ma, 11.1v, 20C that will fit.... Does that sound like his answer ? Thanks ! Dennis
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Were going to order this for it Sal...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=THP20703SX
Old 03-01-2007, 12:28 PM

The 3-cell 2070 TP battery is very good. We use them here and also sell a lot of them. It's a very good battery. My guess is that with an 8c battery you may be trying to pull too much current and the voltage is dropping enough for the ESC voltage cutoff to engage. As soon as it starts to shut down the motor the voktage picks up, the motor RPM picks ups, the amperage draw picks up and the voltage drops starting the cycle all over again. Hence the surging.

Still before buying a new battery you might want to test this theory first. Make sure it is the battery.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:20 PM

No, thats makes perfect sense Sal. Turns out that the Lipo in his Blade CP is the only Lipo he has now, and that's the one he was trying to use. When this setup was working correctly in another plane, he had a different Lipo, but he accidentally discharged it way too low and ruined it. I think your theory is dead on. Thanks for the insight. Dennis
Old 03-02-2007, 12:10 PM

Glad to help. Would love to know how the situation plays out. Please keep us informed if possible.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Im sure it will be fine with the new battery, but it's $80.00 and he just bought a bunch of stuff for his race car, and needs to check his finances. I had no idea that pistons could cost $100.00 each ! If he was married, his wife would divorse him for sure ! lol
Old 03-02-2007, 03:15 PM

I understand!