Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

some e-conversion questions

Old 03-19-2007, 07:33 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some e-conversion questions

Hi Sal,
Have a situation and would really appreciate some tips...

I have a KMP P38 Lightning that I am seriously considdering going E - with, My motivation is that I lost 2 of the same models due to engine failure(s) admitadly this was my first real expierience w/ 4 stroke engines (first was Saito) then YS.

So now I have ship #3 (call me stupid,I just love the 38) I picked up two nice and simple OS 61
2strokes and was going to go w/ that but then it dawned on me that if I REALLY wanted reliability
I can't beat Electric SOOO...

I figured what I should do is start out w/ converting my Hanger 9 P40 to e-power then if I like the results,duplicate it in the P38 (taking the motor and Battery out of the p40 for one side of the 38)

the hanger 9 should weigh in at about 8.5-9lbs. the p38 should be about 15-16 lbs.

I have a Hirobo Lepton (Awsome e-heli) and with this, have 2 Flight power 4s 3700 packs

Iwould like to use the 4s 3700s. Perhaps in series,that way I just buy 2 more for the second motor on the p38 with the added bonous if having 4 flight packs for the heli

So here are the questions...is there any motor/speed controler combo you can think of that would let me get away w/ using one 42 3700 for the p 40 / each side of the 38?

Assuming No, and wanting to use my existing 4s's I was considdering Maxx products "combo 60" this is a CC HV45 speed controler and HC5030-390 motor...w/2 4s's in series...any thoughts on this combo? Would it be Too heavy?

Or perhaps go w/ the combo that hanger 9 sugests and get 2 2s's and add them in series to make 62 (w/ a posible weight savings) e-flight power 60 CC 80 amp/ 62.

which would be lighter? could I get 2 2s packs to = a 6s if its better to go that way? would the MA need to be the same Ie 2s 3700?

I'm so confused[]

thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Vertol

Old 03-24-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: some e-conversion questions

First of all, generally speaking, in order to fly a 15-16 lb airplane, you would go to 10 cells minimun and better is 12 cells. I would consider a 6 cell pack for each motor and might consider going to more. The first thing I need from you is some more info.

I need the maximum prop size that you can use on this aircraft. I need wingspan, and wing area. What kind of thrust would you like to have? I would go for about 1.2 or so to 1, probably with a prop speed of 70 plus MPH or so. Does this souln right for you? I would be glad to look at some possibilities for you. I will wait for the additional info.