Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

Achieving realistic scale speed in model autogyros

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

Achieving realistic scale speed in model autogyros

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:01 PM
ottogiro58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Achieving realistic scale speed in model autogyros

Hi Gang, I'd like to hear your thoughts on achieving a realistic scale-speed with R/C model autogyros. After viewing many model gyro videos, it seems that most gyros currently flying have a flying speed similar to a trainer fixed-wing aircraft. The whole idea of the autogyro is to fly slowly, while remaining under full control. Please post some slow-fly videos, as well as any thoughts on "hanging on the prop" !!! Thanx !!! Charlie Anderson PS HOW SLOW CAN YOU GO ???
Old 12-22-2006, 06:10 AM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Achieving realistic scale speed in model autogyros

Charlie,
Since most of us don't fly Scale Autogyro's what is scale speed ?..

If you build light and have a good wind you can fly slower. If I can land with zero landing roll , I say I was flying a good scale speed. Some manufactures of full size Autogryos are trying to go fast unlike the the Autogyro's of the 30's.
I personally like slow, some like fast and wild. I have done loops and rolls and like dead engine landings from up high.

Come on down to Lakeland in February and we will do some SLOW flight.

Jim
Old 12-22-2006, 03:51 PM
tintrax

I enjoy slow flight, and autogyros can certainly give this. I even have winged aircraft that can fly slowly, but seem to be alone here on that. The average model flyer seems to want to zip around the sky at high speed. I have seen model DC3s for example flying at about 500 scale miles per hour, and no one seems to mind, but it looks odd to me, and quite unrealistic.
The slow possibilities of autogyros is one of their attractions, if high speed is wanted build a P51 Mustang or similar, but I got past that years ago.
Colin Duthie
Old 12-22-2006, 03:57 PM
mnowell129

I enjoy slow flight as well. Of course I engage in the ultimate slow flight with the helo.
That's what I enjoy about using the swashplate, I get very high control
at zero airspeed. With any kind of wind I can get very good control
at zero groundspeed.
mick
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 PM
ottogiro58

Hi Mickey, I've seen the videos of your designs. They have a good realistic speed and appearance in flight. In my opinion, a speed range of zero mph (hanging on the prop) to @ 30 mph would approximate realism for the average sized model gyro. I am talking no-wind conditions. Also, I am making a comparison to the original, full-fuselage style autogyro. Some Bensen-style machines will cruise at a higher scale speed than, say, a Pitcairn or Kellet. How slow can you go ??? Let me know !!! Thanx !!! Charlie Anderson
Old 12-22-2006, 08:43 PM
floridagyro

Charlie,

I had one of my single rotor gyros, a little larger than the PT25, checked by radar and in a straight level flight, top speed was 30 mph. That was close to ground speed as we didn't have any wind.

Phil
Old 12-22-2006, 10:53 PM
teufelhund
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys, I'm with Colin on the slow flight. Every now and then I open up the mustang, but it is seldom. I enjoy the slow flying gyro much more than a "fast" aircraft. I don't know how fast mine flys, but it is the slowest aircraft I have in my hanger. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to ALL! Ben
Old 01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
ottogiro58

Hi Gang, Happy New Year to all. I am still hoping for some slow-fly videos to be posted. The full-scale Pitcairn Autogiros could maintain level flight (altitude) at 8 MPH. Scaled down, it would seem that a model gyro should fly at 2-3 MPH on the low end. Again, I am talking no-wind conditions. Hanging on the prop is fun, and can be challenging. I have flown my twin rotor bird backwards and sideways, in a light breeze, while hanging on the prop. Looks wild !!! Try it sometime. So, once again, I pose the question: HOW SLOW CAN YOU GO ??? Please post some vids of prop hanging !!!! Happy Landings !!! Charlie Anderson
Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
floridagyro

Hi,

Ok here are a couple of videos. One is Senior Kadet converted to a single rotor gyro and the other was called the School Boy converted to a dual rotor.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/pploof/prophang.html

Phil
Old 01-09-2007, 07:35 PM
floridagyro

Hi,

I added a third video. Anybody know what this gyro is and who built it.

Phil
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
ottogiro58

Hi Phil, Thanx for posting the videos. The twin rotor video did not play right for me. I tried it a couple of times. Your single-rotor bird's beak is way up there !!! Prop hanging definately can be challenging, but is a lot of fun. If gyro contests are ever developed, it will be the "slow fly" that separates the men from the boys. The Pitcairns had massive, thick rotor blades with plenty of coning. It did not have to "hang" at a severe angle to perform slow flight. High rotor blade solidity factor. From my understanding, rotor RPM was less than 250 revs per minute. Seems that model gyro flyers could benefit from thicker, larger blades in order to slow their flight. I was amazed to hear that many gyros are flying with rotor revs at or above 750 RPM !!! "Whatever works" is fine by me, but I really enjoy gyros because of their slow, highly manueverable flight characteristics. The slower, the better, in my book !!! MORE SLOW FLIGHT VIDEOS, PLEASE !!! Thanx again !!! Charlie Anderson
Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
rcflyerfl

Phil,
That 3rd one is my Buddy out in AZ.. Ole what's is name. I think he makes Autogyro's kits for sale.

Jim
Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 PM
mnowell129

ORIGINAL: ottogiro58

From my understanding, rotor RPM was less than 250 revs per minute. Seems that model gyro flyers could benefit from thicker, larger blades in order to slow their flight. I was amazed to hear that many gyros are flying with rotor revs at or above 750 RPM !!! "
The whole point of the autogiro was to let the wings keep moving fast so the aircraft could go slow. Slowing
the rotor doesn't slow the autogiro, the reverse is true. The full sized gyros at 200 RPM still had
tip speeds in excess of 200 MPH.
The stuff I'm flying can hover in farly low winds without prop hanging, rotor rpm is 1500.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
ottogiro58

Hi Mickey, Thanx for your input. It doesn't really matter to me how fast the blades turn. Slow, controllable flight is what I am looking for. Your bird gets its extra lift for slow flight by spinning its wings at mega rotor RPM. The only other way to gain lift is through coning or larger, thicker blades. Whatever works. Charlie Anderson
Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 PM
JoelW

Hello Jim,

We were both at the Martinsville Fly-in in 2002 when Steve Tillsion flew the XF-1 with the ducted fan for propulsion. It was a novel autogyro that flew quite good. I am surprised Steve of AofA has not published some plans or sold some kits of his design after all these years. It is too bad he's making gyros out of soda bottles now. He has a lot of money invested in our RC autogyro hobby and should be doing something more constructive like he did at one time in the past. It would be nice if he would participate in our yearly fly-in at least as a flier. I don't feel it is necessary for him to donate kits as he did at one time but it would be nice if he would at least show up and fly with us as a friend.
Attached are three photos taken in Martinsville in 2002...

Joel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76068.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	594599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61599.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	594600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15765.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	594601  
Old 01-09-2007, 10:17 PM
floridagyro

Hi,

I just reloaded the dual rotor with a Windows Movie 'wvm'.
Charlie, let me know if that plays for you.

Phil
Old 01-09-2007, 10:35 PM
ottogiro58

OK, got it, Phil. Thanx for reformatting the video. I built a new rotor system for my Whizard conversion. Same twin rotor layout. The old unit had many hundreds of flights on it. Foam was starting to decay. I hope to "slow fly" with the gyro gang again real soon. Thanx !!! Charlie
Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 AM
rcflyerfl

Hello Joel,

Steve also came to Spring Hill when it was at the Bot Scout Camp and he had his Electric there when Electric wasn't that popular.. Flew well.
Seems like a long time ago.

I remember the cornfield well at Martinsville.. I think I even remember someone landing in my 5th Wheel trailer..

Fun Fun Fun

Jim