Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Complete Newb needing help with 3S Lipo selection for Traxxas Rally/Slash VXL

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Complete Newb needing help with 3S Lipo selection for Traxxas Rally/Slash VXL

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Vigil@nte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Newb needing help with 3S Lipo selection for Traxxas Rally/Slash VXL

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Traxxas Rally VXL 1/10. It comes with a 7-Cell 3000mAh NiMH (8.4 volts) and I am looking to upgrade to a 3S Lipo. Through reading forum posts, I have a general idea of 2S vs 3S and mAh ratings.

Can anyone give me specs of the most ideal 3S battery specs for this car?

Specs:
  • Lipo - 3S
  • mAh rating - ????
  • C Rating - ????
  • Volatage - ????

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Coy
Old 03-06-2016, 06:53 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I'd say 5000 MAh with at least a 40C rating. Voltage on a 3S pack is always 11.1V. You being a noob though, you may want to go with a 2S (7.4V) pack to begin with, as I think the 3S would be too much for you to handle right now. Later you can upgrade to a 3S pack. Also, do you need a charger? If so, I suggested one below.

2S pack; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug

Charger; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...attery-charger
Old 03-07-2016, 07:12 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Vigil@nte
...Traxxas Rally VXL 1/10. It comes with a 7-Cell 3000mAh NiMH (8.4 volts) and I am looking to upgrade to a 3S Lipo....
Welcome to RCU.

What is it that you are not getting from the 7 cell pack?
Are you looking for just more speed?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Is your speed control programmable for Lipoly cut off voltages, as mentioned you will need a lipoly compatible charger if you don't have one. Lipoly batteries that have been worked hard and or abused have a tendency to catch fire even hours after being put away so do you have something like an ammo box to store your batteries in? Never ever leave them unattended when charging and try to make a habit of charging them outside not in your house.

Dennis
Old 03-08-2016, 03:03 AM
Vigil@nte

Thanks for the precautionary measures. Especially the advice on the ammo cans. I have plenty lying around.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:08 AM
Vigil@nte

Default Edit

Not explicitly looking for speed. Looking more for longer run times. Due to the prices in Australia, I am looking for a battery and charger set that I can grow into rather than buying 2s now and 3s later. The car has a beginner mode (50% throttle and reverse) which I would utilize until I was ready for full 3s.

Last edited by Vigil@nte; 03-08-2016 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-08-2016, 07:23 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vigil@nte
Not explicitly looking for speed. Looking more for longer run times. Due to the prices in Australia, I am looking for a battery and charger set that I can grow into rather than buying 2s now and 3s later. The car has a beginner mode (50% throttle and reverse) which I would utilize until I was ready for full 3s.
There ya go! Good thinking.
I'm not sure about whether 3S is too much in this vehicle since I don't own one. But in most cases, 2S is usually plenty. If you like the speed you're getting with the 7-cell nimh, I'd stick with 2S, unless the car really seems under-geared (like the Axial Yeti Trophy Truck). You should pick up an infra-red thermometer for monitoring motor temps and determining gearing. Brushless motors should not get over 180F, and usually run in the 120-140F range.

Being is Australia, look for Gens Ace Lipos. Good value, good cells, good prices. Pick up a couple 5000mah 2S 50C hard case packs. Lots of punch, run cool, and last for years. I've got packs that are 3 years old and are still holding 4500mah and perfectly balanced cells. NOTE that you'll have to solder on your Traxxas connectors.