Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Charge time 10,000mah s2 lipos?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charge time 10,000mah s2 lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:32 AM
Henryslash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charge time 10,000mah s2 lipos?

Hi all

Can any tell me how long it will take to charge a 10,000mah s2 lipo?

I am opening a track in Spain near Madrid and will be renting out 2wd slash 1/10 models with these batteries in them.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:23 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It all depends on how many amps you are planning to use to charge them massive capacity packs.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:00 AM
RustyUs

I'm no expert on wattage and amps, and hopefully someone will jump in and break it all down for you.

Charging at a 1C charge rate (10amps)...in theory it would take an hour to go from 0mah to 10,000mah. But the way LiPo chargers charge (constant current / constant voltage charging method) and what energy you have in the pack will determine length of charge. When I charge a pack at a 1C charge rate, and the pack is at storage voltage, it takes me about 90 minutes to balance charge a pack. Balance charging will use a constant current applied to the battery during the first part of the charge cycle. As the battery voltage closes in on the 100% charge voltage, the charger will automatically start reducing the charge current and then apply a constant voltage. The charger will stop charging when the 100% charge voltage of the battery pack equalizes with the chargers constant voltage setting (4.2 volts per cell). At this time, the charge cycle is completed. This extra time used by chargers to balance cells is well worth the wait to maximize the life and happiness of packs. With a charger set to a fast charge mode, your charging times will be shortened, but not recommended.

Of course, this all means nothing if you don't have a charger, to begin with, that is up to the task of a 1C charge rate for those 10,000 mah packs. And if your packs are able to handle a 2C charge rate...you will need a charger with some serious power backing it.

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-07-2016 at 07:05 AM. Reason: wording
Old 03-07-2016, 07:07 AM
RustyUs

I have to ask...Why are you using such high capacity packs?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Henryslash

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

I need the slashes to be able to complete easily 8 x 5 minute races per hour.More bashing than anything as children will be using them at parties etc.

Would it be possible to charge them at 2c and would you know a charger capable of doing this?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 AM
RustyUs

I don't know where you acquire parts from in Ireland or what brands are available to you, but the Turnigy Reaktor 2 x 300W 20A Balance Charger is one of the first chargers that comes to mind for a lower priced charger that will take care of two batteries at once. On the higher end of the chargers...iCharger 308Duo. But, once again, you will also need a power supply to get those chargers "up and running". I would look around and do some homework (as I call it) familiarizing yourself with the specs of chargers that are available to you.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 PM
RustyUs

Another thing to consider...maximum size of packs that will fit the platform you plan to run. 'Cause I'm sure there is a big difference in dimensions when it comes to those large capacity packs and if they come in hard or soft pack configurations.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 PM
danibracara

Hi everybody. Sorry, new to the forum and don't know how to create new thread.

I am planning to buy this battery for my helicopter HK 450 pro:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lipo-batte...gAAOSwr7ZW5VaR

I am still new on this. You think it is a good option? Looks pretty nice and not expensive.

Thank you for your help.

Daniel
Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by danibracara

I am still new on this. You think it is a good option? Looks pretty nice and not expensive.

Thank you for your help.

Daniel

I don't know anything about that brand of battery but the size and specifications are perfect for a 450 size Helicopter,

I generally use 3S, 2200 Mah 40C batteries. The one you listed has a higher C rating so it should be fine.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:02 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by danibracara

Thank you for your help.

Daniel
You should see a button "Forum Tools" at the top of each forum. Click it and a drop down list will appear with "Post A New Thread"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thread starter.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	2152864  

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-16-2016 at 03:07 PM.