Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Switching a low DC 3.7 V, 140 mAh for a higher 3.7 V, 500 mAH

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Switching a low DC 3.7 V, 140 mAh for a higher 3.7 V, 500 mAH

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:11 AM
Phil1993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching a low DC 3.7 V, 140 mAh for a higher 3.7 V, 500 mAH

Hi there,

Would switching a lower mAH to a higher mAH burn up a motor or electronics? I am using salvaged parts to build my own craft. I am just wondering if I would gain fly time if I use a same level voltage, 3.7 V, but with even triple the mAH. I am a big DIY and have built many things, and although I believe switching to the higher mAH will give me more run time, I just wanted some experts opinions.

The motors I'm using are tiny. I'm trying for an ultralight little flier using styrofoam and salvaged servos and such.

Advice?

Phil
Old 08-03-2016, 10:44 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

No, a higher mAH will not fry anything.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Phil1993

Thanks
Old 08-03-2016, 02:06 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes you would gain a lot of flight time, about 3 times as much. If you divide mah by the current required you will get roughly the time the battery can supply that current. Three times the mah means three times the time at the same current draw. Do watch your decimal points when doing calculations.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Phil1993

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:09 AM
Phil1993

could you suggest a dependable lightweight high capacity lipo 3.7v? if i did go up some in terms of volts from the stock DC 3.7 V 140 mAh, would it fry the circuitry that is already in the setup? would the motors burn up with say, perhaps 6 volts?
Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 AM
Phil1993

can voltage be raised in a setup meant for 3.7v? to perhaps 6v?
Old 08-04-2016, 07:48 AM
philakapd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Phil1993
can voltage be raised in a setup meant for 3.7v? to perhaps 6v?
Hi Phil,

To answer your questions, the community would need to know what type of motor/ESC you have. What are the manufacturer's specifications for your equipment? Right now, you are describing a 1S LiPo which delivers 4.2 Volts when fully charged. You cannot get direct voltage of 6Volts from a LiPo, it would require a regulator (which are extremely common).

An example would be:

2S LiPo, 500mAH battery (8.4Volt).
BEC - REGULATOR rated from 2S-6S ( example: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html )
You can also try an ESC with BEC built in ( example: http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...nderbirds.html )

Watch your current. How many Amps do you need at 6Volts? Verify the manufacture specs to be certain it will work with your existing equipment.

I don't know what type of servos you are using. The voltage rating varies significantly so check your specs.

Same goes for your motor (s). As the voltage increases so does the RPM of the motor. Once again, verify specs.

I hope this helps you a little. The more specific you can be with your project, the more specific the answers!

Have fun and let us know how your project is going

-PD