Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Problem: Battery or Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Carl in Tampa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem: Battery or Charger?

I bought a Wingo with accessories from Hobby Lobby. I flew it about 4 times with no problems.
Then, the next time I tried to charge the battery (7 cell, 600mAh) about a week later, the battery wouldn't take a charge. The charger, a Jeti Mini Charger (4 - 7 NC) has a red "charging" light. Normally it is solid red when charging and blinks when the battery is charged. Now, as soon as you apply the car battery the red light flashes, but it is a pulsating (long, short, off) light.
The instructions indicate that an over discharged battery can cause a blinking light while bringing the battery up to the level where it can be charged and then the steady light will resume. This has not happened in my case. The pulsating light is not the same as the regular blinking speed of the "charged" light.
A voltmeter shows the charger is putting out pulsating voltage in time with the pulsating light.
The battery has enough voltage to operate the motor for about one second, and then to operate the control surfaces; no more.
I sent an e-mail to Hobby Lobby and they said I would hear from their tech support people. Didn't happen.
Any ideas, or experience, on what has gone wrong?
Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:12 PM
emetzler

Carl,
Sorry you have not received an email from our tech. He is very busy and many people need his help. If you will forward your original email to me I will answer it or have some one answer it ASAP.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:38 PM
Carl in Tampa

Default Charger or Battery?

Thanks for the response. The e-mail is on the way to you.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:26 PM
emetzler

Carl,
I received your email and I see where our tech responded to you this morning.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:20 PM
Carl in Tampa

Eric: Thank you very much for the positive response from Hobby Lobby. I followed your tech's instructions and sent the charger for evaluation.

I was notified by phone that I had the option of a replacement charger or a refund to my credit card. I chose the refund because I intend to apply the money toward the purchase of a SuperNova charger.

I am certainly a fully satisified customer and there will be other orders from Hobby Lobby in the future.

Carl in Tampa
Old 07-23-2002, 09:08 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Default Its possible

With some chargers............if the battery is completely discharged or close to it.........that there is not enough power in the pack to register a reading with the charger. In these cases you should use a non peak charger that will simply start charging into the battery pack. With some of the computer peak chargers they have to see enough voltage to allow the charger to analyze the pack and determine what to do next.

This may not be your problem..........but it is something to consider.