Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

6v setup and Higher mah?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 01:00 PM
KingOfHearts
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6v setup and Higher mah?

Is there anything wrong with a 6v setup in the plane itself? (receiver end) and what are the advantages/disadvantages other than torque? Also, if I wanted to upgrade the mah on either end (rx or tx) is it possible to charge it with my good ole standard issue wall charger? I think I was told you couldn't or you could it'd just take 4 days to charge 1000mah battery so on and so forth...I was just curious. That brings up another question, if I were to buy a charger what mah charge rate would I need to use, I've seen 50, 250mah and I have no idea what to use what for! Thanks!
Old 07-23-2002, 02:31 AM
hebertjj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6v setup and Higher mah?

King,

The advantage of 6V packs is increased torque and speed; the disadavante is increase current load, about 25%. So if you've been using 700 mah packs, you might want to step up a notch to 1100 mah packs, for instance.

Slow (overnite) chargers are usually set for C/10hr rate, which for a 700 mah pack would be 70 ma and for a 1100 mah pack, 110 ma, etc. The problem is, that your old slow charger is probably set up for a 4.8V pack and will charge at a lower rate on a 6V pack. Check it with a amp meter to be sure what you got; you don't want to settle for much less than the C/10hr rate. You can try other DC wall warts from around the house to see what the put out when connected to a 6V pack. Check out RadicalRC.com for good 6 V battery prices.

Howzat,
Joel