Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charger for Nicd and Nimh

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 01:54 PM
fr8dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger for Nicd and Nimh

I am looking for a charger where I can slow charge both Nicd and Nimh at the same time. I would also like something with adjustable rates from 50ma up to 200ma with peak detection and be able to charge at least 4 Rx batteries and 2 Tx at the same time. Is there anything like this out there? Do I really need the peak detection for the Nimh, if not then that is one feature that I don't need. I also don't want to break the bank on this one so something under $150 would be great. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:07 PM
hebertjj

Doggy,

I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. You've got conflicting requirements here:

Slow charge, peak detect charge, variable charge, which do you want?

Six outputs and cheap ... fugedaboutit !!!

The alpha has four outputs, but it's 3 or 4 hundred with a one or two year waiting list.

You need peak detecting for nimh and nicad anytime you fast charge (anything over C/10hr).

Here's a cheap way that may meet your needs if you have four Tx/Rx slow charge units you can round up: Get enough multi-outlet extension cords together (cut, solder or wire nut, and tape them together to get them on one plug) to plug all four of your slow chargers in, then plug them into a $5, 24 hr timer from Walmart and set it to come on one hr every day. When you come home from flying, plug 'er up and flip the overide switch so it comes on right now. If you fly next day, they're charged; otherwise if you let them sit, they'll get a pulse charge once a day and be ready when you fly again. This is from Red's Battery pages listed at the top of this section.

Joel
Old 07-22-2002, 10:32 PM
fr8dog

Ok sorry about the confusion. I wasn't sure if I needed peak detection with Nimh as I haven't ever used them before. I guess I don't if I use a slow charger at a rate of C/10.

What about a charger with slow charge, variable rate, 2-4 outputs for Nimh or Nicd that is less then $150. Would an accu cycle work for this and a Nimh with a capacity of 2000ma since C/10 would be 200, but the highest rate is 125?
Old 07-22-2002, 11:04 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

The accucycle does charge Nicd and Nimh, but is not a peak charger, it charges for 16 hours regarless of existing charge, and then goes to trickle. The accucycle plus is a peak charger, but is not recomended for Nimh. I just purchased the Duratrax digital intellipeak charger, but only does 1 battery at a time. It peak charges Nimh, and Nicd, adjustable rates, discharges, auto trickle, LCD screen, and also slow charges. Good luck, Daz...
Old 07-23-2002, 12:09 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Try the FMA Einstine XL.
I have one and it is great.
Comes with DC supply or you can supply your own!
Old 07-23-2002, 12:35 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

I forgot to mention the intellipeak comes with DC adapter, and the power supply for home use. Daz...
Old 07-23-2002, 01:41 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short of an Alpha 4, I would go with the FMA Einstein also.

Vince
Old 07-23-2002, 03:07 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

I have a Cirrus Cycle Pro. It has two charging ports (RX, TX or RX, RX, etc). It has peak detection, cycle capabilities and comes with both DC and AC inputs.

The only thing it doesn't have that I would've liked, is slow charging (C10). It has only 250 or 500ma. I use my wall chargers for that and the Cycle Pro for field charging, cycling, capacity checking etc.

It was $119 on sale a while ago at Hobby People.

Mike- Of course I'd trade it all for an Alpha 4. :0)