Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Current Charger King

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Current Charger King

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah Johnson

Does the Multiplex charger have a trickle mode?
Yes, I just checked it to make sure. I was charging an 8 cell 600 mAh Ni-Cd at 1 Amp, when it finished I looked at the screen and the current was 50 mA. Verified with Wattmeter in the circuit.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Excellent!!

Another question Red..If Im using my TX for say 20 min, when I plug it into my Alpha 4 it will only put back what I used in those 20 min..Will the Multiplex do the same? Im assuming since its a peak detection charger it will..I asked this in the Hitec forum but didnt get a clear answer..

Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Does anyone know the dimensions of the LN-5014?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:33 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah Johnson

Excellent!!

Another question Red..If Im using my TX for say 20 min, when I plug it into my Alpha 4 it will only put back what I used in those 20 min..Will the Multiplex do the same? Im assuming since its a peak detection charger it will..I asked this in the Hitec forum but didnt get a clear answer..

Thanks
The LN5014 will terminate the charge when the pack is fully charged and then put in a topping charge.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:06 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to add some of my experience with the Miniron Mobil. I think it's a great peak charger for NiCd but the peak detection sensitivity for NiMH is still somewhat lacking, even with the V3.74 update which claims improvement in this area. I have some NiMH data here from charging two different NiMH battery packs using the V3.74 program and the following are the results. Temperature was measured using Raytek MT4 infrared thermometer at ambient temperature of 30C

1) Battery pack: 4-cell Sanyo NiMH 4.8V 1100mah
Charge mode: Reflex auto and manual (C/2)
Battery temperature at peak detect: 48C(C/2), 50C(auto)

2) Battery pack: 8-cell Sanyo NiMH 9.6V 2300mah
Charge mode: Reflex auto and manual (C/2)
Battery temperature at peak detect: 48C(C/2), 50C(auto)

For NiCd battery packs charged in auto or manual mode, the temperature at peak detect is significantly lower (38-41C)

I am concerned that repeated exposure to this temperature will damage the NiMH batteries faster. In the Miniron manual, it is recommended not to exceed 40C for NiMH. It appears that the peak detect sensitivity for NiMH (reflex and normal modes) is not adequate, and I hope Sommer can improve it in the near future. One finding I have is that the peak detect sensitivity improves slightly when using a 12-18V DC power supply rather than a 12V AC power supply, possible due to increased noise from AC input.

Another area for improvement is the heat dissipation. When I charged a 1400mah NiCd battery on auto using port 1 (other ports unconnected), I noticed that the charge current went up to 1.6A and then the system gave a warning for temperature and the current was automatically reduced to 1.2A. It seems to me that the charger, although claiming to be able to charge up to 2A, has thermal management issues above 1.6A

I also find that the ports do not operate independently of each other i.e. plugging or unplugging a battery pack can cause manually set current in other operating ports to change. Example, if port 1 is set to 0.2A manually, plugging or unplugging a battery pack to port 5 can cause the current in port 1 to drop to 0.05A.

Feedback has been given to Sommer, and I hope they will improve in the next update (Sept 2005?). FWIW

Old 08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
jorgeelizondom
My Feedback: (1)

Red,

Are you planning to review of the Multiplex Charger?

If so, I will hold my purchase of a charger until then. My candidates are the MPX and the Triton.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

No, I don't think so, my plate is kind of full right now. Bob Aberle has done an excellent review and it should appear shortly in Model Airplane News.

Not to steal Bob's thunder but I competely agree with his findings.

"The LN-5014 performed exactly as claimed and in a safe manner. Once you have it mastered I would stay with this one charger and let it handle all your needs. This is not the kind of device to put aside and use on rare occasions. You have to use it on a regular basis to get the very most out of it. But it is definitely impressive and the price is very attractive."

Just read the specs and what you see is what you get.

As fast as things are moving in the electric field, with a new device introduced every 24 hours, the magazine lead times present kind of a challenge in keeping people up to date. I'm just finishing up my Model Aviation November column (with comments on the Multiplex LN 5014) to meet the August 11th dead line. I feel sorry for the poor modeler that has not discovered where the real action is when it comes to product introduction and reviews.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Boeing
My Feedback: (145)

UPDATE:
The relationship between the StarFlight R/C Aircraft Factory and Sommer Electronics in Germany has been 'upgraded'
StarFlight now deals directly with Sommer on Miniron Mobile purchases and the acquiring of the upgrade chips.
How many chargers do you need?
Cheers,
Dave Kiesling,DA
StarFlight R/C Aircraft Factory
North American Distributor for Miniron